In memoriam - Alistair Gellatly Retired Zambian Professional Hunter Passes Away

Good memories to relive ,mike
And should be shared amongst ,good friends ,mate
Feel free to type up as many as you want
They are all appreciated ........

Mike, the longer you type the longer we can keep bluey quiet reading...just pulling your leg bluey. I agree Mike, the more posts the more we learn.

Mike, writing these old stories is not only good for us, but I find it's also cathartic for the writer.

One of the best lines I have read in regards to old friends and Africa comes from a book by Ian Maning - With a Gun in Good Country - where he says:

"Some may suspect correctly that, hidden in this memoir, lies a yearning for halcyon days and the company of men whom one loved but who no longer live - above all for the freedom to carry a gun and hunt elephant in good country."

If writing some of these stories of your friend brings something like that, well, it's more than worthwhile.

Awesome Mike, just awesome. You have me laughing and appreciating your friend all the more.
Thanks for that.

Sorry to hear that and my condolences go out to you and his family. Seems like there are less and less of the old hands left every year.

Good memories to relive ,mike
And should be shared amongst ,good friends ,mate
Feel free to type up as many as you want
They are all appreciated ........
+1 Mike......great story. The only thing to make it better would be to be around a campfire at Takeri while you told it! Keep them coming.

this is the memory that probably sticks in my mind the most! on the hunt in the selous in 1989 we were driving along one of the many sand river beds looking to see what was around, and to put a lion bait up. as we were slowly motoring along we saw a couple of lionesses in the bushes and grass on the edge of the sand. alistair decided to get the trackers and game scout to throw the bait out in the middle of the sand river bed to see if a good male might come out so we could then set baits up. things didnt quite go to plan.......as we werent far away when two 3/4 grown lions came running out of the bushes and picked up the bait and started running off! alistair wasnt too happy with this as it was our only spare bait at the time, so chased the lions and as they jumped into a gulley in the river bank that was approx the same height as the cruiser bonnet alistair launched himself out of the cruiser and grabbed the part of the bait that was in reach. the cruiser didnt have a cab on it, so there were we ( me in the passenger seat and my brother and trackers and game scout on the hunting seat or standing in the back) staring in amazement at alistair screaming and shouting at the lions while holding on to his end of the bait, and the lions a few feet away growling and having a tug of war with alistair over the bait!!!!! i stood to the side with my .416 (rigby of course ;)) wondering what the f--k was going on or going to happen, as the shouting and growling intensified. the game scout now was shouting at ali to let go and give it to the lions ,with ali telling him in no uncertain fashion the &%^?@&*&%£ etc lions wernt having his last bait. now the game scout had only recently come back to work at the camp, as the staff were drying a load of meat, and as in those days there were huge amounts of hyaenas around they had the meat drying in and around their sleeping area so they could guard it, but one night if i remember his name correctly joseph the game scout neeeded a pee so he got up and walked into a lion that then attacked him not too badly but enough for him to now be having a total meltdown with ali due to the lions being way too close for him.....this continued for what seemed ages but was probaly 3 or 4 minutes when joseph shouted to ali he would allow us to shoot another animal for bait if he let go. now ali between shouting abuse at the lions started to negotiate what animal we could shoot o_O and until joseph agreed to a hartebeest and ali made him repeat it for good measure did ali let go............i said what the f--k would have happened if the lions decided to have a go at you ? and he laughed and said you had the .416 so not a problem!!!!!!!! oh if only they had made small video cameras in those days :D

on the hunt in the selous in 1989 we were driving along one of the many sand river beds looking to see what was around, and to put a lion bait up. as we were slowly motoring along we saw a couple of lionesses in the bushes and grass on the edge of the sand. alistair decided to get the trackers and game scout to throw the bait out in the middle of the sand river bed to see if a good male might come out so we could then set baits up. things didnt quite go to plan.......as we werent far away when two 3/4 grown lions came running out of the bushes and picked up the bait and started running off! alistair wasnt too happy with this as it was our only spare bait at the time, so chased the lions and as they jumped into a gulley in the river bank that was approx the same height as the cruiser bonnet alistair launched himself out of the cruiser and grabbed the part of the bait that was in reach. the cruiser didnt have a cab on it, so there were we ( me in the passenger seat and my brother and trackers and game scout on the hunting seat or standing in the back) staring in amazement at alistair screaming and shouting at the lions while holding on to his end of the bait, and the lions a few feet away growling and having a tug of war with alistair over the bait!!!!! i stood to the side with my .416 (rigby of course ;)) wondering what the f--k was going on or going to happen, as the shouting and growling intensified. the game scout now was shouting at ali to let go and give it to the lions ,with ali telling him in no uncertain fashion the &%^?@&*&%£ etc lions wernt having his last bait. now the game scout had only recently come back to work at the camp, as the staff were drying a load of meat, and as in those days there were huge amounts of hyaenas around they had the meat drying in and around their sleeping area so they could guard it, but one night if i remember his name correctly joseph the game scout neeeded a pee so he got up and walked into a lion that then attacked him not too badly but enough for him to now be having a total meltdown with ali due to the lions being way too close for him.....this continued for what seemed ages but was probaly 3 or 4 minutes when joseph shouted to ali he would allow us to shoot another animal for bait if he let go. now ali between shouting abuse at the lions started to negotiate what animal we could shoot o_O and until joseph agreed to a hartebeest and ali made him repeat it for good measure did ali let go............i said what the f--k would have happened if the lions decided to have a go at you ? and he laughed and said you had the .416 so not a problem!!!!!!!! oh if only they had made small video cameras in those days :D

Great stuff Mike.(y)

Hope you have more!

Awesome story Mike! Imagine if they had "Go-Pro cameras" back then! I'd probably watch that clip until I passed out from laughing so hard!

....................alistair screaming and shouting at the lions while holding on to his end of the bait, and the lions a few feet away growling and having a tug of war with alistair over the bait!!!!!................ now ali between shouting abuse at the lions started to negotiate what animal we could shoot o_O and until joseph agreed to a hartebeest and ali made him repeat it for good measure did ali let go............i said what the f--k would have happened if the lions decided to have a go at you ? and he laughed and said you had the .416 so not a problem!!!!!!!! oh if only they had made small video cameras in those days :D

THE FIRST LIVE GAME AUCTION.

THE ULTIMATE NEGOTIATOR.

To see this with your own eyes
It must have been amazing ,having hyena and lion ,waiting feet away from where your living quarters in camp ,is trying to get the drieing meat ,would be about as real ,as it gets

To see this with your own eyes
It must have been amazing ,having hyena and lion ,waiting feet away from where your living quarters in camp ,is trying to get the drieing meat ,would be about as real ,as it gets

when we went it was at the height of the elephant poaching and you couldnt even leave a tin of fly spray or soap outside your tent as the hyaenas would take it. at night sitting around the fire or sitting in the mess tent if you shone a torch out all you could see were their eyes reflecting everywhere. at the other camp they had been in and overturned the fridge and when we went there for the night i stayed up and shot 2 ( and that was in the camp )as the game scouts wanted some shot as they were getting very bold and being a big problem.

Great story! The kind of thing where you s**t your pants at the time, but roll around laughing about later!

Mike, writing these old stories is not only good for us, but I find it's also cathartic for the writer.

One of the best lines I have read in regards to old friends and Africa comes from a book by Ian Maning - With a Gun in Good Country - where he says:

"Some may suspect correctly that, hidden in this memoir, lies a yearning for halcyon days and the company of men whom one loved but who no longer live - above all for the freedom to carry a gun and hunt elephant in good country."

If writing some of these stories of your friend brings something like that, well, it's more than worthwhile.

Amen....

Great stories Mike it really brings to life a man many of us have never met!

when were at Kingfisher at the end of last week we went out to the pan in the back to see what is now called Ali`s tree . it has a plaque on it to Ali that Arthur Taylor had made
P1030981.JPG
P1030983.JPG
P1030987.JPG
P1030984.JPG
P1030985.JPG

I hope someday that my walk here will be remembered something like that. Thanks for sharing.

Alistair or gwat to some friends passed away last sunday morning (26/o4/15) he was a bit of a legend in zambia with his croc escapade on the zambezi amongst other things. the first time i met him was on the first hunt i did in africa, it was in the selous in 1989. it was a memorable 30 days with him and paddy "bloodnut" curtis as my friends ph. alistair moved back to zambia for 1990 and totally by coincidence at sci that year i booked to hunt with chibote safaris, and was told my ph would be alistair! hunted again in zambia with him the next year, and then spent time camp building/take down , anti poaching and qauffing a few beers with him over the next few years. he was a very good ph and a fount of great stories from when he managed camps in the luangwa to working his way to being a ph and hunting allover zambia and in tanzania. he hadnt hunted for quite awhile and hadnt been in the best of health. he is the reason i got involved in zambia firstly with kingfisher lodge ,and then he asked if i knew anyone who wanted to but some land he knew about......thats how i ended up with Takeri, and he was also finns african godfather. some of us told him to write his story but unfortunatly i dont think he did.................i will try and put some photos up when i get back to better internet.

:D Cheers: ali hope they have some good scotch and port where you have gone.

here is one of PR`s favourites with Ali
GetAttachment.aspx
Hi, can anyone tell me how Alistair died? I’m trying to put a book together on my father Bryan Smith, whom both Rory and Alistair worked for a various stages in their lives and would like to get a bit more information on the passing of Alistair. TIA Shirley

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois