Importation or Transiting Procedures Through Countries with Weapons & Ammunition

Ahhh! Good point.
But then again, I'm flying Air Canada to JHB in a couple of weeks. Sometimes it's tough to get an airline that will fly both you and your trophies!

It's that or :P Boat:

has anyone had experience transiting the UK with firearms on the way to Ethiopia? I was advised by my outfitter that "Note that the UK does not allow the transit of sports firearms to Ethiopia" but I'm unable to find any confirmation of this. Frankfurt would be the alternative if I can't use LHR.

Will arrive on Air Canada and leave on Ethiopian.

Will arrive on Air Canada and leave on Ethiopian.

havent heard of anything about any uk bans on sporting guns to ethiopia, but it is a while since anyone i know hunted there from uk. maybe try getting hold of PDQ they might know. also should be able to tell you whether coming in on air canada and out on ethiopian is going to work.

http://www.pdq.uk.com/

sending you a pm with cell no for someone there

Did you have any issues getting the Canadian temporary export permit for your firearm to Ethiopia?

Did you have any issues getting the Canadian temporary export permit for your firearm to Ethiopia?

That's a good question.
Hank may be reusing the one issued for the earlier trip and perhaps the Ethiopia destination had not come into play.

What locks are to be used on the ammo case & rifle case (TSA or non)? I'm flying from Denver to Atlanta to Joburg on Delta. TSA says "Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock" on the rifle case. No specification on the ammo box lock. I assume once I check in at Denver, I won't have access to change locks until arrival in Joburg?

Non TSA, and put a couple of cable ties/extra locks inside if they break the locks. The authorities will probably call for you over the tannoy/pa if they need assistance opening. (y)

I flew Delta from Louisville to Joberg via Atlanta. TSA locks on ammo, inside checked luggage. Personal locks on the rifle case. Zero issues for me. My PH met me at the terminal, helped at the SAPS counter, then carried out my things. The only way the security people should be able to get inside the gun case is with your help, or by busting your locks.
Good idea posted above about the zip ties. If you have locks with the same key, drop one or two of them in the case perhaps. So you'll be safe if they do cut your stuff off.

If you are planning to fly Emirates, you should read this rather lengthy piece. Twice maybe. We arranged Emirates tickets from Salt Lale City (SLC) to SEA than on to Dubai and finally JNB. We were told to check firearms on to JNB if possible. No problem says the ladies at Alaska Air (A code share partner of Emirates, and their only rep in Salt Lake. In fact, this flight has an Emirates symbol on the flight number even though out of SLC) A quick check, a look at the Emirates Pre authorization for firearms and ammo completed correctly and issued from their main office; guns checked to Jo'burg and we are off. Or are we? We arrive in Seattle, walk and take train to gait, and rest. But on attempting to board, something flags me down. No! we must leave, walk to train, return to main terminal and ticketing, wait in ticket line, they off load out suitcases and guns, but takes two tries, man says "there is a lot of luggage to go thru". Since no one at Emirates counter knows a tampon from a 375 h&h cartridge, they go find their expert. And she is. Peanut sized, she is friendly and competent. She weighs ammo, checks guns thru to JNB, takes us to TSA where this is repeated, and gives us back our guns to recheck. We run and hop train and just make our flight. I am last one in the door. But at least it is done, isn't it? Isn't it! No! In Dubai, as I prepared to board. I am pulled aside. I go back and weigh and measure ammo and look at rifles. I am fined for the second time as my partner's rifle case weighs 14.5kg (31.9 pounds) why me? why 32 pounds. (three fines in total). Hell, I get on last, but at least I am on. Yet there is more: during a two hour fiasco of lost rifle in JNB with SAPS (appropriately named I add) my rifle would still be lost if not for Henry Durrheim agent Charles meeting us as arranged and relentlessly bird dogging my rifle in an airport not yet awake at the 530AM arrival time of Emirates from Dubai. Since we hunted a few days in RSA, we were forced to return to OR Sambo International for our departure. Same 2 hour fiasco. Then on to Maputo.....three times. At arrival, off to hotel for short night, then back to airport in early am, again upon return from hunt. At our second visit, on way from hotel and to the continuation of our flight, utter confusion. No one, and I repeat NO ONE in Moz had ever seen a firearm. Regardless of what others on this site tell you, they did not go to Mozambique..............they picked up a secretary and went to Nassau or to the big island, not to Mozambique. No, Beekers, as residents are or should be called, went thru 3 loose leaf black notebooks trying to find what to do. They removed the rifles from their cases and rotated them in the air several times. Convinced they could not be eaten, we were told to lock them up again. The boss, painfully counted out each cartridge in the box, unaware that there are 20. He pulled one 8x57 round out and asked me "will this kill someone".? "I certainly hope not, I replied..." but at that moment, that very moment, a suitable test case seemed to arise that would lay to rest my main antagonist and his foolish question at a single stroke. He asked me to copy the SAPS form for him.....at 530 AM in the Maputo airport! But I fooled him by having several copies ready. After 2 hours and one fine (1000Metical ($13)) we were on the flight. Lichinga was a one hour fiasco during which the agent at the desk dropped his loaded automatic pistol onto the concrete floor! Fortunately, this "secret agent" quality guard had loaded the wrong ammo, or it might have gone off. Going back thru the airports in reverse order meant 14 total airports and 14 problems..........5 of which were big ones...and yes..........they got us on the way back in Dubai, Seattle, and, surprisingly, SLC where our bags were lost and simply did not arrive. We filed lost baggage claims and drove the 5 hours home to Idaho.
Do you sense any frustration here?? Not from cool and always calm FWB. But a lesser mortal may have winced a time or two.
Travel with Emirates Air again: Maybe....they were actually all cordial people
Travel Emirates with a firearm? never, NEVER, Hell no
In fact, I will never again take a firearm to Africa. (sorry Gert, but we must find another way) This entailed about 75 man hours that could be used for something else. Forget it. Never, ever do it. "Have Gun, Will Travel" no longer reads the card of this man...
And as my own rifle and reloads was always a large part of my hunting, I may never again travel to Africa. Must see how much frustration burns off over the next few months.

DO NOT TRAVEL EMIRATES AIR WITH A RIFLE. YOU WILL BE HASSLED, YOU WILL BE FINED, YOUR LUGGAGE WILL BE KEPT (LOST) FOR SOME OR ALL OF YOUR HUNT. AVOID THEM.
sept 1st to Sept 23, 2016 trip to Africa SLC-SEA-DBX-JNB (LAM: JNB-MAPUTO-LICHINGA)

Flatwater Bill

Flat water Bill,
So sorry to hear of the problems. No travel agent I know of would allow me to use Emirates. They are not a gun friendly airline. The bad thing is that it could have been worse!
Philip

Wow Bill!! That is unbelievable, sorry for the problems but thanks for the heads up!

And this is why I used a Lori @Travel Express as a agent to get me to my destination as easily as possible.

I flew on Delta from Denver to Salt Lake City then to New York, then on South African Airways to Joberg and Port Elizabeth with zero problems. The return flights went just as smoothly except for a longer lay over in Dulles due to a United Airlines problem. All luggage and firearms show up when and where they were expected to show up.

Also used Lori at Travel Express............but happy your flights went smoothly.......................FWB

Also used Lori at Travel Express............but happy your flights went smoothly.......................FWB
Hi FWB ~ sorry to hear of your troubles, it's so frustrating when everything is in order in advance for a trip like this with firearms. I have had 50+ clients on Emirates this year and not everyone with firearms/archery equipment but probably half of them and I have not heard of any firearm problems. I am aware of the issues/delays with firearms in Mozambique and especially Maputo - you would think they could get it figured out. We do enjoy using our own firearms in Africa but the last two times we have gone we just borrowed from the operators to make the trip less stressful. I hope your safaris were successful and memorable and this experience doesn't prevent you from returning to Africa.

Wow!
I had awesome service with Emirates. My only complaint was that Alaska Air had said that my rifle could be checked through to Windhoek but I had a gut feeling it would be held up in Seattle. Sure enough, I checked with the gate agent first thing and he told me that I would have to go to the main counter, have my rifle inspected and ammo weighed before I could put it on the flight to Dubai. No problem. Fortunately I had worked with Lori and Jenn at Travel Express and had some extra time in SEA so it was no issue to take care of my bags and rifle. Omar, the service manager was excellent and helped me through the process (I had multiple copies of the Emirates paper work and even the emails from their chief of security approving my transportation of firearms). He even walked me over to the US Customs agent (I can see why some people go into federal service, they can't compete in the civilian world) and I was on my merry way. I arrived in Dubai with no issues, transitioned to SAA in Johannesburg and completed my journey in Windhoek where it only took me about 15 minutes to roll through customs and the Namibian police with my rifle and ammunition. On the return journey, again, my problem was with Alaska Air but it wasn't regarding my firearm and ammunition. As to reloads, I brought my own and flew back with the leftovers.

I would like to thank Lori and Jenn at @Travel Express for hooking me up with an amazing flight schedule for my bucket list trip. You guys were awesome!!!!

Scott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross