Illegal hunting/poaching Charlton McCallum Safaris

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by AfricaHunting.com, Oct 23, 2012.

1. AfricaHunting.com

AfricaHunting.com FOUNDER AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    THE FOLLOWING POST by AH member ngwenyasekuru WAS DELETED BY MISTAKE...

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  2. AfricaHunting.com

AfricaHunting.com FOUNDER AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Here are the missing replies from the original thread...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2014
  3. Mike70560

Mike70560 AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    From CM Safaris:

CM SAFARIS STATEMENT:

Hi everyone.

I want to breakdown this report in to two parts:

1. The actual article from October 2012. Insofar as it relates to us (CM SAF) it is all total BS. It comes on the fourth anniversary of the leaked cable you have all seen and has simply been twisted to suit 2012 by some twit reporter. This type of reporting certainly out here is commonplace. There is simply zero accountability. Interpret it as you will.

2. The actual leaked cable from October 2008. I am fairly certain that we were included in this elite group of individuals because in October 2008 WE DID shoot 4 elephants in Hwange Park (three old cows and a young bull). I do believe Buzz has dealt with this on AR some time ago.

Anyhow to refresh everyone's memory - Back in 2008 (probably Zim's darkest year ever) National Parks made it quite clear that they were totally broke and needed assistance. This is when commercial ration hunting started.

We DID donate $4000 worth of diesel and six new tires for Land Cruisers to the Park;

We DID receive a permit to shoot five elephants with the option to take another five - all legal;

We DID NOT sell or advertise "hunts" in the park, we DID NOT profit from this;

We DID NOT shoot trophies (far from it); and

We DID at the time believe we were helping, but when we arrived and actually witnessed what was going on pulled out.

It is also worth noting that at around the SAME time SOAZ made FORMAL applications to Parks that they administer the ration hunting to (1) generate money for Parks as well as more importantly (2) to regularize the entire operation.

The basic idea being that hunting operators would administer ration quotas in their own concessions and photographic operators the quotas in their Parks. Sadly this was turned down by Parks.

In hindsight yes we do have regrets, there is no excuse for hunting in a Park. At the time though we did think we were actually helping and did have exactly the same goals as SOAZ.

Cheers

Myles

4. Mike70560

Mike70560 AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    STATEMENT FROM SAFARI OPERATORS ASSOCIATION OF ZIMBABWE

With reference to the articles appearing on internet sites which use information from 2008 published by Wikkieleaks, and which are not completely accurate, the Association wishes to make the following points:

1. The US Consulate requested information in 2008 pertaining to a situation which existed then. The report from the US Embassy in Harare to Washington was captured by Wikkieleaks.

2. SOAZ is not the sole source of information gathered by the US Embassy.

3. Only two names mentioned in these articles are members of SOAZ and we comment as follows:

a) [section removed by AfricaHunting.com on 11/1/2014]

b) Charlton McCallum Safaris. This company availed themselves of the offer to hunt in the Parks in 2008 and did shoot 4 elephant under this scheme. After consulting with members of the SOAZ Committee, they thereafter withdrew from the scheme. From that time to the current date no further reports or complaints have been received by SOAZ, and we consider this company to be above-board and ethical.

4. The others named are not members of SOAZ or ZPHGA.

5. SOAZ trusts that in future information from 2008 will not be used years later in an effort to link the information to a new situation to which it has no connection, such as the Save Valley Conservancy, as appears to have been the case in these articles.

(signed)

E. FUNDIRA

Chairman

Safari Operators Association of Zimbabwe

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2014