Ideas on 30.06 rounds?

Hi lcq,

I have zero experience with "Core-Lokt Ultra" bullets, nor any of the WSM cartridges whatsoever, and do not even know anyone who has fired either that specific bullet or WSM cartridge, (no matter what bullet brand/model).
However, seems like I read somewhere that your .300 WSM is ballistically quite similar to the .300 H&H.
In which case, I do have quite a bit of hunting and plinking experience with the supremely excellent H&H version - lol.
With it I found the old 180 grain Winchester factory loaded "Silver Tip" bullet was a bit soft but dropped caribou like a stone (they are not very impact resistant and I know of a mature bull being swiftly slain by a wolverine no less, up at Prudhoe Bay Alaska).

"If you weigh over 300 pounds but are easily killed by a 20 pound weasel, you might be a caribou".

Also I have used the old 180 grain Reminton Core-Lokt bullet in the H&H with fine success (also had fine success with this same bullet in the .30-06 as well).
In Africa, I have used the excellent 180 grain Nosler Partition from the .300 H&H and it proved pretty much perfect for Namibian PG.

As for the 7mm Remington magnum, I have only used one bullet/load in that one but it proved very excellent on deer in both Idaho and Alaska as well, for me personally.
It was the old Remington 150 grain Core-Lokt spitzer.
Generally speaking I do not lean toward recent cartridge developments after about the 1930's but the 7mm Remington is an exception for me (as is the .458 Lott).
I like the 7mm Remington magnum for longer range shooting (I prefer the .300 H&H for that a bit more but, the 7mm Remington is my 2nd favorite at the moment).

That being said, I likely would not bring 7mm Magnum to Africa unless hunting medium sized and smaller PG in some wide open place like the SA Eastern Cape / The Karoo, most of Namibia or any similarly open geography/sparse foliage location.
Definitely not a cartridge I would choose for hunting anything in most of Africa (excessive velocity for most of the typical African hunting conditions, including the very likely odds of encountering large/heavy boned game animals at close range).

If however for some unknown reason I changed my philosophy and decided to bring a 7mm magnum to hunt in most of Africa's "normal bush conditions", I would pray that my rifle was acceptably accurate with 175 grain Swift A-Frame bullets.

Not sure how heavy of a projectile your .300 WSM will accept (I presume it has a short action / short magazine box).
But the heaviest .30 A-Frame that rifle will feed properly and shoot accurately, would be hard to beat for most of Africa's so called "Plains Game" hunting conditions.

I presume by the moniker "ultra", that the bullet you have had excellent accuracy with in your WSM is the premium bonded core type.
In which case, please ignore all of my above rant, as you will no doubt have perfect success with it in Africa - lol.

(Too much espresso this morning - sorry).

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

The 300wsm is identical to the 300wm until you get over 180gr. I must say that last May my 7mm with 160 a-frames flattened both an enormous zebra (pass through) and a monster wildebeest (almost through) with a single shot. I used a 150 core-lokt on the bushbuck and there was no blood and no exit, good thing it died quick. The 160gr Ultras would be used in my 7mm which I might add are the same speed as the 180gr 300wsm. I would use 180 accubonds in the 300 and for baboons would use 155gr Amax @3300 with a relatively mild load of 72gr superformance, should flatten them ;) The following link gives an indication of how the Ultras work on gel in a 30 cal

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ammo/ballistics-test-best-300-win-mag-loads-market/

ha ha ha how many ,bloody ,coffees , vd..............

4 shots espresso and two cups regular brewed coffee.
I'm still buzzin' like a saw this afternoon.
"They" say that I have motor-mouth to begin with but, when I over dose on caffeine (Yuppy Meth), I can talk all the paint off any wall.

The 300wsm is identical to the 300wm until you get over 180gr. I must say that last May my 7mm with 160 a-frames flattened both an enormous zebra (pass through) and a monster wildebeest (almost through) with a single shot. I used a 150 core-lokt on the bushbuck and there was no blood and no exit, good thing it died quick. The 160gr Ultras would be used in my 7mm which I might add are the same speed as the 180gr 300wsm. I would use 180 accubonds in the 300 and for baboons would use 155gr Amax @3300 with a relatively mild load of 72gr superformance, should flatten them ;) The following link gives an indication of how the Ultras work on gel in a 30 cal

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ammo/ballistics-test-best-300-win-mag-loads-market/

Excellent.
And, regarding baboons specifically:
Been to you know where 4 times now, (including the third time alone was 30 days boots on the ground) and have not yet gotten a decent crack at a baboon, unless you count the ones I chose to not take because we were trying to stalk something else.
And one time I had a big shaggy male in my sights at a water dam but, there were some female impala and one female nyala loitering around a few yards past him so, I waited and waited but something spooked all critters present, including the troupe of apes, and they erupted in every direction as though someone had dropped a job application in the middle of them.
Your 3300 fps .30 load should turn any big mean baboon into about 3 or 4 little squirrel monkeys.
Baboons annoy me because they like to eat klipspringers (and other pygmy antelopes) so, I see them the same as I see coyotes and wolves here in Alaska.
In other words I do not think they should be totally destroyed but they surely do need serious culling lately.
I look forward to reading how your safari turns out with your "ape load".

Excellent.
And, regarding baboons specifically:
Been to you know where 4 times now, (including the third time alone was 30 days boots on the ground) and have not yet gotten a decent crack at a baboon, unless you count the ones I chose to not take because we were trying to stalk something else.
And one time I had a big shaggy male in my sights at a water dam but, there were some female impala and one female nyala loitering around a few yards past him so, I waited and waited but something spooked all critters present, including the troupe of apes, and they erupted in every direction as though someone had dropped a job application in the middle of them.
Your 3300 fps .30 load should turn any big mean baboon into about 3 or 4 little squirrel monkeys.
Baboons annoy me because they like to eat klipspringers (and other pygmy antelopes) so, I see them the same as I see coyotes and wolves here in Alaska.
In other words I do not think they should be totally destroyed but they surely do need serious culling lately.
I look forward to reading how your safari turns out with your "ape load".

I had 1 decent shot at a big old male but Mr. clumsy knocked over a water bottle getting into position. We stalked them forever and nada. That said as I was being driven to the airport a troop crossed in front of us. My PH hit the brakes, rolled down my window and threw me the 9mm, dang no shot as the brush ate them up.

Again the "Core-Lokt Ultra" bullets are really nice bullets, they are compromise bullet, meaning they are not perfect but they do create big holes and I would use them on elk here in the states. I just would avoid that quartering to shot with them because they will not drive through that front shoulder. Broadside shot, they will be super deadly, like the A-Frame.

Reactions: lcq
I have had great success with Nosler bullets. For PG, that would be a 180gr Partition or an Accubond for me in an 06. Depending on your rifle and barrel length, you should see 2700-2800fps. Several factory loads are available. That's a mighty good combination for any non dangerous game the world over.

I used a .30-06 on my first trip to Namibia. I killed 5 PG animals ranging from Warthog to Mountain Zebra. All were 1 shot kills. I used the Barnes 180 grain TSX. I'm a big fan of the Barnes TSX because they have always been more than accurate enough for anything I've hunted, and they perform well on game.

Sable 1.jpg
Defassa.jpg
Greater Kudu 2.jpg
Greater Kudu 1.jpg
Zebra.jpg

I've been using 180Gr & 220Gr Remington Core Lokts in a .30-06 Springfield for hunting African plains game ever since my first African safari back in 1974. Nothing modern or hightech. But they work if your aim is true. I prefer the 220Gr for wildebeest, Kudu and eland. 180Gr is fine for the other plains game.

I've recently come to prefer Sako Hammerheads in the same weights. But I'd use the Remington Core Lokts again without hesitation.

Last edited:
One of the guys that was in camp with me this past July (also a member here) was using a camp rifle.. It was a .30-06 using 180gr Remington Core Lokts... It dropped everything he shot with it.. to include the biggest kudu I've ever seen (62"+)...

Rem. Core-Lokts are a fine bullet. I've used them in an 06 quite a while, wish we could still get them.
I remember Rems. old saying, the deadliest mushroom in the woods!

I usually shoot 180 TSX. Good success with those. Saying that, I just used a camp rifle in September shooting 220g PMP out of an R8. 4 one shot kills, on game up to eland. Shots from 75 yards out to 250ish

the bullet I am the most impressed with is from a small company in Montana called Hammer Bullets I used their 150 gr Power Hammers this past April in Africa and they are great they have a small HP that breaks into 4 pedals as shrapnel and the shank drives thru. very impressive today I ordered their 404 gr Shock Hammers for my .458 and will run them at about 2450 fps they are gaining the reputation of being one bullet for the world. great thing they are always in stock all their bullets

For the .30-06 in bush veld I handload 180 grain A-Frames to 2700 - 2750 fps out of a 24" barrel using H4350. Zero @ 200 yards. Then go forth and shift focus to hunting...

200 gr Nosler Partition handloads are super accurate in 3006, and perfect for PG (and deer/bear combo hunts in the US.) Hdy just came out with this Outfitter ammo. 'Checked it out in my son's 06 over the weekend (all copper CX 180 gr-2600 fps, 4-shots touching.)

47378.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg