Ideal weight for a rifle chambered in 577 NE 3"

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
im looking at having a rifle chambered in 585 HE built which I plan to load at 2050-2100 fps to duplicate or slightly exceed the 577 NE 3" cartridge.

I don't have much experience with the 577 NE cartridge so im hoping you guys might suggest a proper weight for this rifle. my first thought was 12 pounds but after some thought im unsure.

thoughts?

-matt

Matt,

I just looked at www.gunsinternational.com at the .577 NE rifles listed.
They ranged from 12 pounds, some-odd ounces, to about 15 pounds.
I did not read the regulation for each but I understand there were at least two loads which these huge rifles were built for.
Seems like we can presume the higher powder charge/heavier bullet load of course called for the heavier weight rifles to be built and the opposite for the lighter load version.

I once fired two rounds from a vintage J. Wilkes made .600 NE double, and I believe the owner told me it weighed 16 pounds but he may have said 18, I just do not recall any more.
All I can say is that, firing those types of weapons tend to risk breaking the indicator needle off my fun meter.
I would not be afraid to try a .577 NE but, I do not know anyone who owns one.
No doubt it'd be too much for me to fire more than a couple shots before developing a king-sized flinch.

The same guy who owns the .600 NE (Cal Pappas) also has a .500 NE that weighs close to 12 pound and I found it to be within my recoil tolerance level, when firing it from standing position but that .500 was about all I can shoot for several shots and still be smiling.
My best guess therefore is that a .577 NE, or bolt action wildcat equivalent, should weigh about 14 pounds ?

Re: When firing the aforementioned .500 NE double I was right at the ragged edge for my recoil tolerance but still within my comfort zone with it for a few shots in a row and I confess to loading my .500 Jeffery down to a bit below that with the same 570 gr bullet (11 pound CZ bolt action).
So, there will be no .577 NE, firing full house 750 gr bullet loads in my future.
Even if I could take the recoil of multiple shots during training sessions, I am no longer man enough to carry such a heavy rifle up and down the hills all day and still be snappyquick with it when needed.
I will however live vicariously through your experiences with this project you describe.

Out,
Velo Dog.

i asked this same question to Mr. Hubel (designer of the cartridge) and he said 12 pounds was a good place to start. if more weight is needed then it can be added later.

i also took a look at GI and found many of the 577 NE rifles weighed around 12 pounds.

the two 577 NE loadings your talking about are probably the 577 NE 3" and the 577 NE 2.75". i dont really know anything about th 2.75" loading other then that its lighter and not meant for elephant. from every article ive read the 577 (.585") 750gr bullet will have trouble penetrating an elephants skull at certain angles if its velocity is below 2050fps.

-matt

My best guess therefore is that a .577 NE, or bolt action wildcat equivalent, should weigh about 14 pounds ?

Even if I could take the recoil of multiple shots during training sessions, I am no longer man enough to carry such a heavy rifle up and down the hills all day and still be snappyquick with it when needed.
Out,
Velo Dog.

This would be a key issue to me! Humping my 10 to 11 poundish 416 up and down hills for 10 miles chasing elephant in the heat was plenty enough reality check for me!

Matt; Your a young man so you can do it! But get very serious about a workout routine and make it a lifestyle change if you want to carry that much rifle after elephants as you add a few years. I could have easily done it in my 30's but could not afford the gun much less the hunt. Now in my 50's, my pocket is more willing but my body wants to surrender!

Truth be told, pretty darn hard to expect much more than the 416 delivered for me. I have no "reasonable" thoughts as to why carry more for elephant.... it is all about penetration and hitting the right spot.

I do hope to carry my rather heavy 505 Gibbs after buffalo.... From that one experience I had on elephant and buffalo, the buffalo is a lot easier physically. It gets your heart rate up quickly in other ways!

im currently working on my physical condition at the gym and hopefully will be in pretty decent shape come my buffalo hunt in September. Ill get my first taste of the South African terrain in May when I go hunt PG with a friend.

sure I could hunt an elephant/buffalo with my 416 RM, but using a 505 Gibbs or 585 HE is far more interesting! that is of course assuming I can shoot either properly. im very picky about my shooting abilities and will not tolerate poor or even average accuracy.

-matt

Be honest Matt, you just want that .585 so that you can load it with a frozen herring!

would i be using it to cut down the mightiest tree in the forest?

-matt

im looking at having a rifle chambered in 585 HE built which I plan to load at 2050-2100 fps to duplicate or slightly exceed the 577 NE 3" cartridge.

I don't have much experience with the 577 NE cartridge so im hoping you guys might suggest a proper weight for this rifle. my first thought was 12 pounds but after some thought im unsure.

thoughts?

-matt
I have two 577’s a Hambrusch (almost sold) and a B. Searcy 470/577 two barrel set the rifle I hunt with. The Hambrusch weights 13.5 pounds, the Searcy 12.8 pounds. The Searcy is a lot more comfortable to shoot even though it’s a lighter gun and the reason for that is that it fits me a lot better. So to answer your question: The ideal weight of a 577 class rifle shooting a 750 gr bullet regulated around 2050 FPS is probably around 13 pounds. I’m talking about a rifle that you’re going to carry at field and hunt with not a rifle you shoot at the range once or twice a year (in that case go 16 pounds and you’ll be happier). Weight is important but fit is just as important if not more.

The .577 Nitro Express calibre double barreled rifle's weight should be identical to a double barreled 8 bore rifle - A solid 14 pounds .

The designer of the 585 HE recommends a rifle of 18 pounds for full power loads.....

The Browning BAR 1918 model weighed 19 lbs., so I would go with that weight WITH the attached bi-pod. Maybe with a mercury recoil reducer?

With or without the bipod? You gotta have an attached steel bipod with a hard recoiling rifle like this, so when the recoil breaks the sticks your shooting from, you can drop into the prone position and fire off the bipod?

I think you have gotten some good advice here. Maybe I can add just a bit:

The two main loads for a .577 NE 3” are the 650/90 load and the 750/100 load with the first number being the bullet weight and the second number being the grains of cordite propelling it. The 650/90 was mostly built for India as a “tiger” rifle and sometimes called the light load. The 750/100 is the full bore elephant (and anything else on earth) stopper load.
I believe the proper weight for a rifle shooting full house loads should be 13.5-14 lbs. I recently procured a Westley Richards droplock made in the golden age for these elephant rifles (1904) proofed for the full house load. It weighs in right at 13.5 lbs unloaded which I think is just about “right”.

Best of luck on your project. Sounds like a fun one.

I believe that .577´s where made down to about 12 - 12,5 lbs.. Some years ago I shot a .600 double weighing 13,2 lbs...it was not unreasonable recoilwise..with full power loads.
The problem is when you pass 13 lbs they become more or less hopeless to carry..you need a gun bearer..

If it has a muzzle brake and 5 lbs of lead in the butt, 100 lbs should be about right..o_O

thoughts?

-matt
We at HY-ND ARMS have been re-regulating and servicing double rifles for close to 40 years and I can tell you that 14 pounds for a full charge (2050 FPS 750 gr bullet) seems to be the ideal weight. My B Searcy 577 weights 13-1/2 pounds and it’s just about as light as I would go. Body size and tolerance to recoil has to be taken into consideration as well.
Visit us at Hyndarms.com or our GI page HY-ND ARMS LLC.

I think the VC is 14lbs?. I lost all the stats on it, forwarded via email & it's never been shot yet ..

Anyway, it would be equivalent to carrying Stihl 500i all day. My supervisor, active military though.
1703860028049.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you