I blame all of you...

Each rifle likes different ammo. It never surprises me anymore. It works or it does not.
I remember shooting Hornady 300gr FMJ's at targets (100yds) tacked to the side of an old barn at a family friends farm. The timbers were over 2ft thick. I heard what I thought was a ricochet. When I investigated I found that one had gone through the timer and lodged in the timber one the other side of the barn. I dug it out. It was almost perfect except for the rifling. I weighed it and it came to 298gr's. Pretty good!

Ordered a Chronograph the other day and it is scheduled to arrive in about a week.

Until then I went out and did some more practicing to figure out how to tighten those groups a bit.

I am pretty sure it is mostly me and how I am shooting this rifle.

Upped the powder by .1 to 71.6
Left the seating depth alone.

All I was going to change was how I held the rifle and the bipod.
With the bipod on a ground sheet.
IMG_3461.jpeg

Moved the bipod off the ground sheet and pushed a little forward and held the rifle quite tight and apparently was still yanking the trigger.

IMG_3462.jpeg

Then it was time to settle down.
Firmly hold rifle into my shoulder, moderate grip on the rifle, slight forward pressure on the bipod.
Used the set trigger and made sure I SQUEEZED the trigger. All the difference in the world.

Damned shotgunning gets you slapping the trigger.

There were two flyers in the bunch. (I knew I yanked the trigger when I did it.)

These are the two final groups of three shots each. Different point of aim, same target.

IMG_3463.jpg

I'll Chronograph the load and let you know when the tool comes in.

For now

Settled down nicely at the end! Are you crimping in the top/forwardmost groove? Lee Factory Crimp die?

I have found that the Barnes are fitting very well without a crimp.
I am sure that if the depth were different there might be a need, depending on where the rim of the cartridge and the grooves met.

What COL are you using? Do you seat to the forwardmost groove, even though you're not crimping?

What COL are you using? Do you seat to the forwardmost groove, even though you're not crimping?

Centimeters.
Case trimmed to 7.228
COAL 9.1786

Nice work tightening those groups up there.

...Damned shotgunning gets you slapping the trigger...

I had to laugh, I am the exact opposite, it takes me a few flocks to stop squeezing as I follow a bird and just punch one out. LOL

Centimeters.
Case trimmed to 7.228
COAL 9.1786
Thanks. I plan to use the same bullet powder combo pretty soon and am curious as to the specs of your load. Looking forward to the Chrono results.

Nice work tightening those groups up there.
I had to laugh, I am the exact opposite, it takes me a few flocks to stop squeezing as I follow a bird and just punch one out. LOL

I shot 300 rounds target shooting the day before.

In the middle of that last rifle session I actually put some empty casings in the chamber and pulled the trigger for a while to make sure I was not flinching or yanking the trigger.
It helped.

300 rounds for the day
strueth ruth , hows your hearing ?
the most shot ive ever let off for a day, is around 80 to 100 culling fallow deer and spotlighting rabbit ......
300 shots for a day ............
at paper ?

Trap and Skeet bluey. So, clay, not paper.
I wear hearing protection so I am ok on the hearing side.
Still, I have to think about which trigger on which gun I am pulling or squeezing.

Ordered a Chronograph the other day and it is scheduled to arrive in about a week.

Until then I went out and did some more practicing to figure out how to tighten those groups a bit.

I am pretty sure it is mostly me and how I am shooting this rifle.

Upped the powder by .1 to 71.6
Left the seating depth alone.

All I was going to change was how I held the rifle and the bipod.
With the bipod on a ground sheet.
View attachment 41030

Moved the bipod off the ground sheet and pushed a little forward and held the rifle quite tight and apparently was still yanking the trigger.

View attachment 41031

Then it was time to settle down.
Firmly hold rifle into my shoulder, moderate grip on the rifle, slight forward pressure on the bipod.
Used the set trigger and made sure I SQUEEZED the trigger. All the difference in the world.

Damned shotgunning gets you slapping the trigger.

There were two flyers in the bunch. (I knew I yanked the trigger when I did it.)

These are the two final groups of three shots each. Different point of aim, same target.

View attachment 41034

I'll Chronograph the load and let you know when the tool comes in.

For now
What Chronograph did you get? If it's one that sits on a tripod ahead of the muzzle (i.e Master Chrony style) make sure you have it sit a minimum of 10ft away or the muzzle blast will blow the skyscreens off. I didn't have mine far enough away when I used mine. I thought I had shot it. Things flew everywhere!

The trip was made to the range today.

F-1 Chrony 10 feet out front of the muzzle.
3750 Feet ASL
18C

250 TTSX
71.6 Grain load

2862, 2865, 2871, 2860, 2863

Average: 2864.2 FPS

Probably dropped 300 or 400 FPS in that first ten feet from the muzzle! :whistle:

3750 Feet ASL
18C

250 TTSX
71.6 Grain load

Probably dropped 300 or 400 FPS in that first ten feet from the muzzle! :whistle:

H4895?

Used the set trigger and made sure I SQUEEZED the trigger.

Some people don't like the set trigger on the CZ. I wasn't sure what I would think of it when I bought the CZ but have grown to like it.

Don't use it much but:

Have used it zeroing in a scope.

Have used it on a couple of animals at longer range and felt it helped me on those shots.

Those last groups are looking sweet.(y)

I have now developed such a pattern with shooting this rifle using the set trigger (I use it every time I shoot) that I am now having problems with shooting my shotgun.

On the weekend I "touched" the shotgun trigger several times while target shooting and expected the target to explode. I picked my head up and discovered the shotgun had not gone off.
(Not a hang fire or dud.)
I know I touched "pulled" the trigger.
I feel like I am having to yank that shotgun trigger now.

Going back and forth between rifle and shotgun is causing some head games for sure.

I'll have to relearn some shotgunning before the next competition. :)

Nothing like science.

3750 Feet ASL
18C

250 TTSX
71.6 Grain load

I'm guessing your being facetious about the muzzle velocity loss 10ft from the muzzle. It should only be about 10-15fps a that distance.
Decent load you have there. If shooting at distance drop should be approx 8" at 300yds with a 2" high hold at 100yds (according to RCBS.Load ballistics program).
Never used Barnes TTSX bullets myself. Only Barnes I ever shot out of my 375 H&H was 350gr RN. They shot decent....just kinda "jiggled the fillings" pretty good (when I first got my .375 I don't believe Barnes had invented the TTSX at that point.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross