Heym 88

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
DSC
Hunted
US
Well guys my leupold V6 1-6x24 w/firedot came in today. Guess what?? Firedot doesn't work. I put supplied battery in the correct way, positive side up, nothing. The directions say if it doesn't work or light is dim change battery. I had new ones at the house, so I tried them. Nope. The ones I had were an off brand and fairly old so I said maybe their bad too. So I went to CVS and bought new duracells, came home tried them nope. I can't think of anything so frustrating as to take two weeks to decide on which scope company I want to buy from only to find out I have to ship this back after paying a $ 1000.00 bucks plus two day shipping because I wanted to shoot it this Labor Day weekend. That sucks!!!!. Oh well such is life.

That does suck.

Found someone else that had some issues.

Disadvantages: Difficult to use, Quality
" I liked the fire dot reticle concept. Gives you a better focal point when aiming. I like how you can adjust the brightness of the dot or make it an intermittent flash. The bad about this scope is the design for the battery. When you place the battery on the left side of the scope it is hard to put the cap back on, resulting in the battery popping out, or breaking the little metal clips inside where the battery goes in. Once the battery is in if it's not in correctly the fire dot won't light up. This leaves you frustrated, and without a scope. "

I have always said that the more thing inside a scope or attached to it the more there is to go wrong. And when you are talking electronics the problems can double or triple.

It would be hard to saw weather it is Leupold's problem or the distributor that you purchased the scope from. I have seen scopes and other things sent back to a on line catalog sales center with something wrong and they just send it back out. I talked to a rep one time about this and they said that they usually sent a product out 2 or 3 times before they consider it bad and send it back to the manufacture.

Sending it straight back to Leupold would be the best thing to do, but it won't help you out with shooting this weekend.

Man I was looking at going for the VX-6 but ended up getting the VX-R and putting away the extra $500 towards the future hunt. Sorry that happened usually Leapold doesn't let down. I have had good help with their customer service in the past though so might be worth going straight to them rather then through the distributer. Either way guess your not going to be looking through it this weekend...

Yea, I made doubly sure that the battery went in flat and the contacts were evenly spaced. I don't think contact is broken, but inside you never know. This scope came from Optics Planet whom I figured was reputable and I'm sure they are. Guess I'll just call Leupold and let them know. I'm not much for electronic gizmos as I'm pretty much old school, but I figured they have had time to get this right. Thing is there is a clear plastic cover over the contact that looks like it supposed to be there, but if it is, then how does that battery make contact?? Maybe someone who has one can look in theirs to see if theres in also. Who knows.

Revolver versus semi auto pistol. Iron sight versus scope. Recurve/Longbow versus compound. Accuracy versus reliability. Always a trade off. In life and death, as in my life and death, always give me reliability, a.k.a. Irons sights and revolver.

I have always said that the more thing inside a scope or attached to it the more there is to go wrong. And when you are talking electronics the problems can double or triple.

It would be hard to saw weather it is Leupold's problem or the distributor that you purchased the scope from. I have seen scopes and other things sent back to a on line catalog sales center with something wrong and they just send it back out. I talked to a rep one time about this and they said that they usually sent a product out 2 or 3 times before they consider it bad and send it back to the manufacture.

Sending it straight back to Leupold would be the best thing to do, but it won't help you out with shooting this weekend.

Don't know about this particular scope, but fully agree, the more parts, the more to go wrong. On anything!

Heym 88

Let me know how you turn out.

I have been looking at purchasing one ...

i have a bunch of information that i am looking at and i am just comparing the different scopes from some great scope makers.

I was almost pulling the trigger on a Swarvoski 1-6, but the leuy was priced right. I have a few options, and getting another lighted reticule isn't one of them. I went against my own grain with that. I'm looking at more options. OP has a good return policy. Or get Leupold to replace.

What do you mean about "evenly spaced" just trying to think of my VX-R. Should just be a contact spring you lay the battery on top of then put the cap on. But may be different with the VX-6 I'm not sure. Can you take a picture with the cap off and the battery in? I would post a picture of how my battery is seated for you but I'm out of town for work.

Leupold has best customer service I can think of so if you run out of ideas talk to them.

Well you can surely go shoot it without the lighted reticle this weekend if you really want to. Of course that will involve mounting and remounting... But it will work without the illumination... Unless you plan to shoot in the dark.

First off, if there is clear plastic over the contacts, I would certainly not expect that little battery to be able to make contact through the plastic... Did you try reading the instructions?

Secondly, Try it at night in a completely dark room. And did you try pushing the on button many times? I for get how many setting there are but it gets brighter and then dimmer as you cycle through.... so try pressing the button about 8 times... and try it in the dark. Then if it does not work, Call Leupold next Tuesday after the holiday weekend and I'm sure they will fix it... At least you don't have to send it to Austria like I did my $3200 Swarovski.

In fact, it is a 2-12 but I'll take your scope on trade if you want to buy my Swaro!

I'll go dig one of my three out of the safe and see if I can help with more details.

Ok there does sort of appear to be a bit of plastic coating over the central part of the insides. The contacts for the battery appear to be the little clips on the sides. There is that little peg in the middle, not sure if that is a contact or just the spring for the brightness and on-off. The battery goes in very easily with the battery label side or flat side out. It will come on without even installing the cover once you have the battery properly inserted (if yours is not broken or defective). Simply clip the battery in and hold your thumb on it, then gently press it in against the little spring and let up a bit and press again.. and again, etc. as it has a lot of setting, like maybe 16 to 20? So like I said earlier, try about 8-12 clicks and it may brighten enough to see it. If your in the dark, it will show up as a very small red dot on the lowest setting... Well on the lowest it actually blinks... On the higher settings it will glow like the Star of David in the dark.

As it is brand new, I would hope they might just send out another new one. I have heard good things about Leupold service but never had to use it myself... I think I have 6 of their scopes, three VX6's and three VX3's. And three more ordered. Two VXR's and one more VX6. So I do put my money where my mouth is;)

This leaves you frustrated, and without a scope. "
On a red dot that might be true... but a scope is still a scope. Just not illuminated. It will still work as good as a non-illuminated scope won't it? Maybe it's me who does not get it? :E Crazy:

I was almost pulling the trigger on a Swarvoski 1-6, but the leuy was priced right. I have a few options, and getting another lighted reticule isn't one of them. I went against my own grain with that. I'm looking at more options. OP has a good return policy. Or get Leupold to replace.
I use the Swarovski 1-6. If the reticle light for whatever reason doesn't work, it is simply a regular scope with an un-lit reticle. I see lots of upside to a lighted reticle and no downside.

The CR2032's I've used in my Firedot all had clear plastic protective coverings on them that had to be pulled off before installation. Just make sure they aren't there.

Well you can surely go shoot it without the lighted reticle this weekend if you really want to. Of course that will involve mounting and remounting... But it will work without the illumination... Unless you plan to shoot in the dark.

First off, if there is clear plastic over the contacts, I would certainly not expect that little battery to be able to make contact through the plastic... Did you try reading the instructions?

Secondly, Try it at night in a completely dark room. And did you try pushing the on button many times? I for get how many setting there are but it gets brighter and then dimmer as you cycle through.... so try pressing the button about 8 times... and try it in the dark. Then if it does not work, Call Leupold next Tuesday after the holiday weekend and I'm sure they will fix it... At least you don't have to send it to Austria like I did my $3200 Swarovski.

In fact, it is a 2-12 but I'll take your scope on trade if you want to buy my Swaro!

I'll go dig one of my three out of the safe and see if I can help with more details.

What rifle do you (or did you) have that Swarovski mounted on?

I don't have to have the lighted reticule, it was a 100.00 more, no doubt it can be used like it is, everything else is fine.

I've done all the fore mentioned steps before I posted and did make sure no plastic on batteries. Thanks for your input guys.

On a red dot that might be true... but a scope is still a scope. Just not illuminated. It will still work as good as a non-illuminated scope won't it? Maybe it's me who does not get it? :E Crazy:

Brick you are correct

Sorry to hear the bad news, I love Leupold scopes, they have a excellent warrenty. I'm not fan of batteries on scopes.........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwoody

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross