Hunts for Greenhorns

Thanks Bluey will do. Can't wait.

Hi Wayne,
Welcome to AH, great site. With regards to you hunting in SA, I would definitely say don't worry about being a greenhorn, and look at the animals that you would really like to shoot, and then have an open discussion with the PH/ Outfitter.
Myself being a PH, i have had many greenhorns come out and hunt, and very experienced hunters and both have had just as successful hunts. I always guide the hunt according to the client. Thats why i say, go for what you want, and the PH will assist in you in getting the trophies of you want! Also I agree, practising with sticks is a good idea, we use sticks, and find that it is very useful.
Enjoy the experience!
Kelvin milsom

Hi Wayne

Welcome to the forum.Hunt the animals you dream off,a good PH will make sure that he coach you in a way that will make your dreamhunt a great success.Enjoy!

Hi Wayne, You will be fine. Just follow the other guys advice and practice with your rifle. Make sure you bring a nice pair of binoculars, so you can see the game out in the plains or brush. There are plenty of good outfitters...with some great prices. I would make a KUDU, #1 on my list to get...but that's me. Research is half the fun.

Thanks Kelvin. I will do that.

Thanks enysse. I've had a look at the kudu. Man they are a big animal. I've got to push my ceilings up by a metre or two just to mount the head.

Start off with a tuskless elephant and leopard with hounds....:cool:

Why not hide in a Buffalo carcass and suprise a Croc?

Hey Diamondhitch. I was only talking to a friend of mine that guides for hunters over here looking for red deer (they are classed as pests over here because the damage they do to fences and national parks). He was stating that if he had the chance to go to Africa, even if he didn't get anything, it would be the experience and the journey that would live in his mind forever. Thanks Mate.

I would hate to miss out on the experience by running past all the little things. Despite the best laid plans the little things have a way of standing out the strongest in th end.

Thanks enysse. I've had a look at the kudu. Man they are a big animal. I've got to push my ceilings up by a metre or two just to mount the head.

Its all about balance. Balance the Kudu out with a Duiker or an Eland with a Grysbok.

That got me Mate:crazylol:

Thats not a bad idea. Matter of fact thats brilliant.

A kudu is great value in Africa. Do a european mount maybe? :D

Hey enysse, sounds good, but I've got to lower ceilings in this dog kennel. I can just imagine it now. (Wall mounted with it's chin on the ground, horns just touching the ceiling and the cats throwing themselves across the boss.) I thought I'd start off with a couple of PG of medium size and go from there. Probably scare shit out of the cats too. Thanks for the thought mate.

Hey enysse, sounds good, but I've got to lower ceilings in this dog kennel. I can just imagine it now. (Wall mounted with it's chin on the ground, horns just touching the ceiling and the cats throwing themselves across the boss.) I thought I'd start off with a couple of PG of medium size and go from there. Probably scare shit out of the cats too. Thanks for the thought mate.

No Wayne if you want to scare the shit out of the cats get a full body mount of a Warthog.:laughing:

Attachments

• Warthog.JPG
    Warthog.JPG
    238.3 KB · Views: 106
You crack me up Bob.:thumb: Many, many years ago, there was afamily that lived in Western Australia. They had a pet begal tiger that had the full run of the house, and they used to take it walking along the beach. One night a thief entered the house, proceeded to the dining area, helped himself to the silver and proceeded into the loungeroom. Now in the loungroom was asorted expensive painting. As he entered, he shone his torch around and spotted a large stuffed tiger lying on the floor. Being a conesour of fine furs, he approached the tiger and attempted to lift it up, whereupon the tiger growled and stood up. Obviously the man went into drastic panic mode, jumped away from the tiger and started backing away and got conered by the tiger. Apparently so the story goes, the errant thief had a heart attack and was hospitalised and the family lost the battle in court about having a dangerous animal and had to secure said pet behind wire. True story I shit you not.

Not trying to push the Kudu on you ar anything but here are a couple options that take up less vertical space than traditional mounts.

The browsing kudu is slightly taller to the top of the head than a traditional mount but only 2/3 as tall overall.

View attachment 12296

the second I could not find a pic of but a drinking Kudu (either as a wall mount or pedistal) takes up no more vertical space than a euro mount.

View attachment 12297

Gemsbok would work well this way too. Options are only limited to your imagination.

Diamondhitch, the attachements didn't come through something about an invalid link. Can you email through to me @ wayne.welch0@gmail.com.? Thanks Mate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.