Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Hunting Warthog Shot Placement

Post your questions, comments or pictures relating to hunting shot placement.

Hunting Warthog
warthog_shot_placement.jpg

Hunting Warthog
warthog_perfect_shot.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How tough is pumba to hunt?? And do they go down easily?

Lots of fun to stalk. My wife says they are ugly animals and that is true but they are a hoot to hunt.
image.jpg

I think the warthog just knicked the black wildebeest into first spot for the ugliest.

When it was time for Tristan to shoot his first animal......warthog was his No1 choice.
P1010458.jpg

From the videos I've seen there is almost never a follow-up shot on a warthog. They always seem to run a short distance and pile up or drop on the spot.
Anyone ever have to pop pumbaa twice?

Nope! I haven't but my son shot a big one that was running. First shot was a gut shot,then shot him a second time that blew his two back legs nearly off.

image.jpg

The female on the left did pile up in Just a few yards!

Last edited:
One shot with my bow. Ran off like it was fine. Plopped over dead after about 70 yards.

Sounds like CAustins son was perhaps sufficiently armed for warthog.

I had a good shot at a Warthog going away from me and when it turned a little to the right I took the shot. I took out the back left leg and the bullet went into the right front shoulder. When we got to the place that the warthog was at the shot there was a lot of meat and hair but not much blood. We went into the long grass and found blood every three or four feet. My PH found the warthog behind a bush and told me to shoot it again. Got both shoulders and it flipped over in its back. Let me say we didn't have to gut it to take pictures. The PH was concerned it might go down a hole in the area.
image.jpeg

He said we would have to bring in a backhoe to dig it out since it was such a great pig.
Two shots the only animal I had to shoot twice on that trip.

Sounds like CAustins son was perhaps sufficiently armed for warthog.

Yep! It was a 416 Ruger! The pigs back legs were just hanging on by some skin! That 416 is an impressive gun.

I had a good shot at a Warthog going away from me and when it turned a little to the right I took the shot. I took out the back left leg and the bullet went into the right front shoulder. When we got to the place that the warthog was at the shot there was a lot of meat and hair but not much blood. We went into the long grass and found blood every three or four feet. My PH found the warthog behind a bush and told me to shoot it again. Got both shoulders and it flipped over in its back. Let me say we didn't have to gut it to take pictures. The PH was concerned it might go down a hole in the area.
View attachment 57417
He said we would have to bring in a backhoe to dig it out since it was such a great pig.
Two shots the only animal I had to shoot twice on that trip.

That's a beauty! I had my eyes on one with similar tusks, but I was unsure of what critters were behind it. Tried to come around the right flank, they got spooked, and I missed my chance. Sad day. Next time I'll just trust the gut instinct. It was about a 200yd shot, 30-06 well sighted. I think I was just green and nervous about the money part. Surrounding this dude was a few blue gnu, and I'd already got one for that trip...

Yep! It was a 416 Ruger! The pigs back legs were just hanging on by some skin! That 416 is an impressive gun.

CAustin, this smells slightly overkill :W Rocket Launcher:, but I must say I'd likely do it myself !:W Rockets::E Rofl:

Unless you are hunting the wilderness or lightly hunted ranch, probably the most elusive animal in Africa. They are shot most of the time before they grow those long beautiful tusks:(

or you are lucky hunter........

My PH said he new it was on this ranch and we had been looking for a good one for a couple days. The new owner of the place and made a real nice four building camp with a meeting/cook building said he had seen this one several time when driving from his house to the camp he was around the water tower that fed the camp since it would over flow when it filled itself. My PH said he had seen it for 4 or 5 years.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Congrats Bhfs300, it's a very nice trophy.

I have seven, and will continue shooting any good one I come across, these two are from KwaZulu/Natal 2010.
Imagen157ResolucindeEscritorio.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Only one for me - but YES they are too much fun to hunt. Looking forward to more in August.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SungHiggin

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg