Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI,DSC, QDMA, QU
Hunted
Africa, Europe, Asia, North America
I am very envious of the Safari trucks. Never ending diesel engines, hunting frames, winches, etc. We can't get something like that over here in the states. Sure, we can get big trucks (i love mine!) but there is something about Safari trucks.

I am hoping some of the PH's will post pictures of their safari vehicles. Let's see them guys!

My No.1 hunting vehicle:
watermark.php

My No. 2 (back-up):
watermark.php

And maybe you will enjoy this safari train coming out of the Kalahari...
watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my truck. Not so sure about posting pics, but click on the pic for a larger image.

watermark.php

All the best,
Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris

Tom,
Great idea for a thread!
I am always trying to describe these trucks to guys that have never been to Africa.
I always amazed at the lifespan of these trucks based on the life they live.

Nothing says Safari like a Toyota Landcruiser !

I will admit the only toyota's I like are the ones I have been on in Africa. You guys have some great trucks! But I would also say "nothing says Safari like a Toyota Landcruiser" except a Land Rover! I have been in some pretty sweet Rovers over there and they get my vote for being way kool!

Here is mine the only one that looks like this in the world :cool:

2.4 liter petrol Hilux 4x4 goes anywhere !

watermark.php

watermark.php

Wow ! That's an unique speciment of the original ( kannie dood ). Toyota's are really go anywhere and die-hard vehicles.

I will admit the only toyota's I like are the ones I have been on in Africa. You guys have some great trucks! But I would also say "nothing says Safari like a Toyota Landcruiser" except a Land Rover! I have been in some pretty sweet Rovers over there and they get my vote for being way kool!

I'm in the process of adding a Cruiser to the fleet. Bushbuck...that Land Rover you were talking about was not maybe being towed by the Land Cruiser?

I'm in the process of adding a Cruiser to the fleet. Bushbuck...that Land Rover you were talking about was not maybe being towed by the Land Cruiser?

Marius, you won't be sorry. I have had a few so far, I have the 2 left that I posted, and a 3.0 D4D Hilux double cab, like the one in your photo, but my wife mostly use that, as it ois just too soft for what we do wit them! I actually want to buy one like Frederik's as a go-fer for my driver up in the Caprivi, as they run more economical between town and camp, and are also virtually unbreakable.

Karl,
I'm quite excited about the Cruiser. I have been a Cruiser fan for a very long time.Never owned one. Although I'm enjoying the Toyota 3.0 D4D, they are quite soft and a bit of a moffie bakkie. I do appreciate hunting from the comfort of them though. Until the Cruiser arrives...

You may be right lol, The good news for me as a client is that I dont have the worries of fixing them, just the comfort of riding in them.

Now if I could just get used to getting in on the proper side to be a passenger. I tend to always approach your trucks from the PH side door..

Many PHs use Land Cruisers for their sturdiness, power, long life etc, but I find them a bit hard to drive. I am sure that a Toyota Hilux e.g. 3 ltr Diesel will do the same job in most conditions and they are easier on your back.

We cannot get the same models you guys can over in Africa. I just checked out the African Land Rover site. I have to say that 4 door defender with the truck back looks sweet. I would love to have the six seat version just to drive around here in the states.

I totally agree with you Bushbuck. I wish we could get some of the same vehicles they can over there.

Many PHs use Land Cruisers for their sturdiness, power, long life etc, but I find them a bit hard to drive. I am sure that a Toyota Hilux e.g. 3 ltr Diesel will do the same job in most conditions and they are easier on your back.

Werner, I would love to see what is left of a new Hilux after just 2 months of elephant hunting (and remember recovery) in the thick sand and sometimes semi-swamps of the Caprivi. I am willing to bet that it will not make it halfway through one season...

You guys know that you can buy a left hand drive Cruiser in Angola? Would it be possible to export to the US, I dont know?

You guys know that you can buy a left hand drive Cruiser in Angola? Would it be possible to export to the US, I dont know?

And correct me if I'm wrong but Angola doesnt have any import tax so the cruiser should be cheap.

You may be right lol, The good news for me as a client is that I dont have the worries of fixing them, just the comfort of riding in them.

Now if I could just get used to getting in on the proper side to be a passenger. I tend to always approach your trucks from the PH side door..

You're not the first one! lol. The reason why i'm laughing is that it probably happens with every client of mine...and I always have a one liner ready... :)

You're not the first one! lol. The reason why i'm laughing is that it probably happens with every client of mine...and I always have a one liner ready... :)

Yep, had many of them one liners thrown at me from your partners... "You driving?" "Cool I get to sleep on the way back" etc.. I can see you laughing about it now lol...

and one of the best ones from My PH that was much taller than me,, "That seat wont move far enough forward for you to reach the pedals there uncle Marc"

Here are some photos I found from one of my trips:

Africa2005087.jpg

Africa2005086.jpg

Africa2005085.jpg

Attachments

• Africa2005085.jpeg
    Africa2005085.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 591
  • Africa2005086.jpeg
    Africa2005086.jpeg
    168.3 KB · Views: 526
  • Africa2005087.jpeg
    Africa2005087.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 573

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg