Hunting packages and pressure to shoot more

By no means the Norm if this happens on your safari, you have not contracted a professional and the correct outfitter.

These might seem like hard words but it's just reality.

My best always

Spot on.

I think that question can be asked of anywhere on earth. I have experienced that on a hunt I was on once, I didn't like it and not being bashful made it known quickly. As a guide and outfitter I never pressure clients into shooting things. I make sure that their wish list is clear and always keep it in their budget. I definitely don't want a client to go home regretting anything about the hunt. To have a client feel they were pressured into doing things they didn't want too or have buyers remorse is no way to run an operation and gives a bad name to all of us. I feel there is good and bad in any place one could go. It boils down to doing homework and getting to know the people you are going with. Keep in mind also, if it's too good to be true it usually is!

It is definitely not professional to put pressure on a client to shoot an unwanted animal. Any package deal should have an agreement to not pay for animals not taken,thus a value linked to each animal in the package. These values make a package deal flexible and the client can then adapt the package at any time.

Here is a humorous "pressured to shoot" story from my Zimbabwe hunt:

We had to relocate to a different hunting area and the quick change meant re-supply of food for the camp. I was asked what my desires were for menu development, particularly breakfast. I was in error when neglected to mention I like yogurt in the early morning if possible. Naturally, the first morning in new camp there wasn't any yogurt. The PH was disappointed that I had not let him know so he could arrange it for me and since we were quite a ways out in the bush, yogurt was not something very handy.

Now as the second days hunt progressed, I teased the PH about the lack of civilized breakfast which would include yogurt. About that time we came upon a very big, old, black giraffe bull which was on license and offered to me. I wasn't interested in taking the bull nor the next three we came across but the fun banter evolved into "Gee, if I had yogurt I might take one of those ugly animals." This went on every time we ran across a old giraffe,me being encouraged to take one and, with great fun and discussion, what to do with a giraffe trophy hide (luggage, seat covers, rug). Every time I countered with the yogurt issue.

The next morning there was a pint of strawberry yogurt at my breakfast setting, I have no idea where they found it.

No, I didn't shoot the giraffe but the size of the tip I left increased.

Watch out, pressure can be created indirectly by using your human nature against you.
Being put into situations where you have to control your own impulses. It's just sneaky!

We stalked into such close proximity of those Zebra at Kanana with JP that you "just had to shoot two."
The PH never even uttered a word.

JP remarked after the two Zebra were down that hunters could not resist when they are taken in to such close proximity of Zebra.

He may well be correct in his keen observation of human nature.
Watch out! :)

but their was no coercion bricko.

ha ha ha , you can lead a horse to water , but you cant make it drink .......

Interesting topic and maybe I am opening a can of worms, but there are a few other cases I know of where the Outfitter would pressure the PH to get his client to shoot more than agreed on or in the package, I have seen young PH get a lot crap from an Outfitter when he does not add to the package or bag. So much so that PH's would be booked in order of their abillity to get clients to shoot more and they would get commision on extra animals taken, so in short yes it happens. On the other side of the coin I was hunting Gemsbuck with a client when we bumped a 8 + inch Mountain Reedbuck from its bed, I got him on the sticks pretty quickly and wisteled for the Reedbuck to stop, which it did. Perfect senario for a monster Reedbuck and the client turns to me and says, How much? I told him I would sort it out as a exchange on one of the lesser animals on his package, he dropped the Reedbuck. Sometimes things come up that the PH knows it is a once in a lifetime trophy, you need to know and trust your PH. Completing a package does not mean the hunt is over, there is always baboons,jackal and other species that land owners will love for you to shoot.

^^^

Great point on the PH getting pressure too. No doubt it happens with some outfitters.

This is why trust is SO important to me. If I TRUST the PH I shoot that reedbuck without even seeing the horns. If I dont trust him I ask how much and then also try and judge him myself. Maybe I miss the once in a lifetime opportunity.

Interesting topic and maybe I am opening a can of worms, but there are a few other cases I know of where the Outfitter would pressure the PH to get his client to shoot more than agreed on or in the package, I have seen young PH get a lot crap from an Outfitter when he does not add to the package or bag. So much so that PH's would be booked in order of their abillity to get clients to shoot more and they would get commision on extra animals taken, so in short yes it happens. On the other side of the coin I was hunting Gemsbuck with a client when we bumped a 8 + inch Mountain Reedbuck from its bed, I got him on the sticks pretty quickly and wisteled for the Reedbuck to stop, which it did. Perfect senario for a monster Reedbuck and the client turns to me and says, How much? I told him I would sort it out as a exchange on one of the lesser animals on his package, he dropped the Reedbuck. Sometimes things come up that the PH knows it is a once in a lifetime trophy, you need to know and trust your PH. Completing a package does not mean the hunt is over, there is always baboons,jackal and other species that land owners will love for you to shoot.

cant say l know things about the outfit pressuring the p.h to squeeze more animals into a hunt .
but that once in a lifetime opportunity knocking , if you can afford it , for sure answer that knock ......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.