Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
I'm a bit confused so I thought I would see what people on this forum know. I was told by one PH that all the nocturnal species in Namibia like aardwolf, honey badger, and the like were no longer huntable. Then I see ads for outfitters that "specialize" in these animals and others with them in the trophy list. What is the deal? Can you hunt them but just in daytime? Is all night hunting illegal in Namibia?
Regards,
Philip.

Getting permits has become more difficult over the last few years for some of the species you mention.
Many are still on permit.

Some Outfitters may not want to deal with the hassle.

Jerome can give you the latest, but when I was there last summer, I received the same news as Brickburn relayed. The authorities refused me a permit for genet, I think it was (might have been civet), and we were told it was becoming harder and harder to obtain permits for the smaller animals, including, especially, the smaller cats.

Again, Jerome can fill you in on night hunting, but that wasn't allowed where we were - but that could have been because of the animals we were hunting.

I am heading to South Africa in a month to do a nocturnal hunt - serval, genet, civet, honey badger, brown hyena, bush pig, wildcat (and aardvark, if I can bring myself to shoot such a sad animal), etc. Just a few hours north of Jo'burg. Hunt was organized by Wintershoek Safaris. I know the PH I'll be hunting with. If you're not in a hurry, you could always wait and read my hunt report - they tend to the long and over-detailed!

they tend to the long and over-detailed!

No such thing Hank!!! :A Rock:

I'm surprised that as hunter friendly as Namibia is that they'd be issuing less permits unless their was a real population issue caused somehow?

No such thing Hank!!! :A Rock:

I'm surprised that as hunter friendly as Namibia is that they'd be issuing less permits unless their was a real population issue caused somehow?
What I was told was that even in the best places, bureaucracy can take on a life of its own. The people in charge of the issuance of these permits apparently weren't interested in explaining themselves.

The people in charge of the issuance of these permits apparently weren't interested in explaining themselves.

Some things do seem to be universal....

I'm a bit confused so I thought I would see what people on this forum know. I was told by one PH that all the nocturnal species in Namibia like aardwolf, honey badger, and the like were no longer huntable. Then I see ads for outfitters that "specialize" in these animals and others with them in the trophy list. What is the deal? Can you hunt them but just in daytime? Is all night hunting illegal in Namibia?
Regards,
Philip.

Yes all night hunting in Namibia is illegal.

Hunting may not take place during the period between 30 minutes after sunset in any day and 30 minutes before sunrise the following day and artificial light is prohibited.

I have not heard that all nocturnal species in Namibia were no longer hunt able, I think NAPHA would have announced if it was the case.

Huntable species in Namibia, nocturnal or not, requires to obtain the appropriate permits, some even require a motivation letter to Nature Conservation before any approval is granted, which usually is no problem getting but a refusal from Nature Conservation in Namibia is always possible. The last couple of years they been more difficult with issuing permits for some of the nocturnal species and hunting permits are not always granted. Things can change rapidly in Africa, although better, Namibia is no exception and hunting permits can be granted or denied for no specific reason which is hard to comprehend but the possibility of you not receiving a certain permit is always there.

Just received the following information from NAPHA:

MET Regulations – Hunting of Nocturnal Animals

NAPHA cannot release an official statement as yet, as we are awaiting written confirmation of comments from MET. We have verbal communication that a ban has been instated on the hunt of all nocturnal animals, however, MET has invited us for discussion.

We have a meeting with the Permanent Secretary of MET on March 14 and hope to shed further light on this subject soon thereafter.

Things do change in Africa, never thought it get this bad so quick.

Is there any recent information on the ban placed on nocturnal animals in Namibia in early 2016? Has this been lifted or is it still in place?

Outfitters keep trying to get permits but so far the answer is no. It's a real shame.
Philip

@Philip Glass is right, it is a shame.

First Let me say that Namibia does not allow hunting at night. Trophy hunting may take place from half an hour before sunrise until half an hour after sunset during the hunting season and no hunting is allowed with artificial light.

Caracal, Serval, African Wildcat, Brown Hyena, Aardwolf, Bat-Eared Fox, Honey Badger, Genet and African Porcupine requires Namibian outfitters to obtain the appropriate permits, some even require a motivation letter to Nature Conservation before any approval, which for a long time had no problem getting but a refusal from Nature Conservation in Namibia was always possible. Well over the last couple of years permits have been more and more difficult to obtain for most of these species and Namibian outfitters have not had much luck getting approval for some of these permits.

Nature Conservation in Namibia has been reluctant in giving hunting permits for some of these nocturnal species but you should communicate this with your hunting outfitter and find out what he can get.

Things can change rapidly in Africa, although better, Namibia is no exception and hunting permits can be granted or denied for no specific reason which is hard to comprehend but the possibility of you not receiving a certain permit is always there. You will be granted a certain permit with one officer and denied the same with another so as an outfitter it is difficult to offer any assurance on the permit situation at this time for the above mentioned species.

If these species are your priority I would recommend looking at South Africa in an area well suited for these species and an outfitter who specialize in nocturnal animals.

Namibia Professional Hunting Association (NAPHA) Newsletter 8 March 2016
MET Regulations – Hunting of Nocturnal Animals
NAPHA cannot release an official statement as yet, as we are awaiting written confirmation of comments from MET. We have verbal communication that a ban has been instated on the hunt of all nocturnal animals, however, MET has invited us for discussion.

We have a meeting with the Permanent Secretary of MET on March 14 and hope to shed further light on this subject soon thereafter.

Namibia Professional Hunting Association (NAPHA) Newsletter 18 March 2016
Nocturnal Animals

After our meeting with the PS this week, trying to obtain a written statement on current regulations in this regard, we are awaiting written feedback, but in the meantime can communicate the following:

Hunting Permit Applications may be submitted with inclusion of nocturnal animals. MET will decide whether a permit will be granted case by case.

NAPHA has requested that at least Brown and Spotted Hyena, as well as Caracal should be available for trophy hunting applications again. We have clearly stated that these animals - without a value attached to them – will be destroyed when posing a threat to livelihood.

MET expressed concern over illegal night hunting practices and we urge our members to adhere to MET’s regulations and requirements avoiding further consequences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceV

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross