AH legend
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
united state- Co Nm Mt Wy Pa , canada ,mexico ,south africa- Northwest, Limpopo, freestste.Northern cape,East cape, namibia
Decide to add Mountain Reedbuck to the hunt down in the east cape.This is more about the challenge then anything as I am figuring they are a tougher animal to hunt in the mountains of the cape.It will be one of the animals my son trys for.How would you guys rate Mountain Reedbuck as far as how hard they are to hunt.May have him try to do it with his muzzy.

Sounds like fun to me! Will this be with Loodt?
Randy

Yup will be on the hunt with loodt.

Like a Whitetail, the bigger they are the harder they are to hunt.
They will put their head on the ground and hide.

Terrain can be a good part of the challenge.

Have fun.

I think in an area with good numbers they shouldn't be too much trouble. I hunted with Kei River Safaris and there were plenty running around the hills. I ended up taking a very nice one on the third day of the hunt.

Shot on this guy was roughly 125 yards. This after me missing a 250 yard shot on a different ram the afternoon before.

DSCN0692.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN0692.jpg
    DSCN0692.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 124
Like a Whitetail, the bigger they are the harder they are to hunt.
They will put their head on the ground and hide.

Terrain can be a good part of the challenge.

Have fun.
+1 The terrain you hunt them are the biggest challenge.

I had several chance encounters with them within 100yds or so while hunting Kudu. Neat little guys and fun to hunt.

What helps is that they seem to be inquisitive. I had a stare down with the one I eventually took. The top of his head just appearing at 70 yards over a rock. He eventually, in one flawless motion, leaped up and down the hill. I thought for sure he was gone, but my PH was relentless. So we stayed put until Ty had him in his sites again. This time....he was up the mountain. Again....we had a stare down as he hid partially behind a boulder. His mistake was that he seemed just as interested in us as we were in him. It allowed me to take him down with a frontal shot. Hunting the mountain reedbuck in the EC area was at my PH's suggestion and I am thrilled that I listened. Its also one of my favorite photos from that hunt.

Dakota is in for a real challenge I think. Not due to hunting with a muzzy, but due to you following him in that pink camo outfit.

Sounds like there alot of fun to chase around and hunt.maybe one of the animals he uses the muzzy but maybe the 257wby if needed to.The pink camo will be worn by the host not the dad on this trip.LOL Worst case if I end up in pink camo I will stand out to the animals and the kid can sneak in as they watch me.

The pink camo will be worn by the host not the dad on this trip.LOL

I think Loodt will be real upset if someone runs off with his pink camo footy outfit. He sounds like he is getting real attached to the idea of hunting in it.

Tim

yes he would for sure.I heard you got to talk with him I think.He is funny on the phone and I busted on him for awhile talking hunting.

yes he would for sure.I heard you got to talk with him I think.He is funny on the phone and I busted on him for awhile talking hunting.

All he wanted to talk about was his pink hunting outfit. I could not get him on any "manly" subjects! :D

I got on the phone with Loodt too, Bill. I really enjoyed it. I also checked into changing flights to "swing by" and see y'all on my way to Zim. Yikes.... I'm not giving up yet though. I really want to make that happen.

Oh, and I plan on a mountain reedbuck when I'm there in 2015. :)

You two are going to be in trouble once he reads this post.I was worried when you would look in to changing those flights royal thought it would be pretty hard and costly to do.You have to weigh if being one of the first people to see him in that pink outfit will be worth the cost.I think The moment just might be priceless.

You two are going to be in trouble once he reads this post.I was worried when you would look in to changing those flights royal thought it would be pretty hard and costly to do.You have to weigh if being one of the first people to see him in that pink outfit will be worth the cost.I think The moment just might be priceless.

Oh, it is easy to do, but you've got the expensive part right!!! :) I've only talked to the travel agent, I'm going to check direct with Delta too. I don't really expect a different answer, but it won't hurt to ask.

As far as the pink camo goes, can you really put a price on being one of the first to see that????

He has been very quiet these past days. I do believe he is plotting some way to get even.

He maybe planning something but it will only get him in more trouble.I know he has a grandma who has been in and out of the hospital alot in the last few week.He also has alot to do with being a new outfit and he wants to do everything he can to be one of the best.I plan on making him carry the reedbuck out by himself over his shoulder to earn he camo hat back or it is pink for him the whole time I am there.

You right Bill, his Gran has not been well lately. I sure hope that is not why he is absent. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg