Hunting Lesser Kudu

Terminator

in less than 15 minutes i was able to find these locations on the internet...there were other i just did not take the time to go look at the sites....

i would have to take Craig Bottingtons recommendations on where to go over other on this forum...he provided information in his books on some on his facebook site...

i am not looking to go after a lessor kudu at this time and have performed very little research on it...

I guess that is what happens when you listen to Craig Bottington....

James, I accept your apology (if thats what it is) for your condescending remarks. And perhaps you should get your money back for your "recently published and purchased books" that you use for reference.

I just want to know who is this guy "Bottington"?

Craig Boddington's Biography

Here we go Mike!

Craig Boddington's Biography

Craig Boddington was born and raised in Kansas, where his early big-game experience, in the mid-1960's, included pronghorn and mule deer in Wyoming, whitetail and mule deer in Kansas, and mule deer in Colorado. When not involved with hunting and shooting, much of his early years were spent in Boy Scout activities. At 14 he became an Eagle Scout, at 16 received a Silver Palm on his Eagle, and at 17 was the youngest person to become Activities Director at his regional Boy Scout camp. A member of Phi Delta Theta fraternity, he attended the University of Kansas on an NROTC scholarship, graduating with an English degree and a regular commission in the United States Marine Corps. His outdoor writing career began in college and continued while on active duty. After leaving active service in 1978 Boddington worked as a hunting consultant/booking agent for International Hunting Consultants based in Santa Monica. In 1979 he joined Petersen Publishing Company, where he served as Associate Editor, GUNS & AMMO magazine; Editor, GUNS & AMMO Specialty Publications; Executive Editor, Petersen's HUNTING Magazine; and from 1983 to 1994 Editor of Petersen's HUNTING Magazine. His current position with InterMedia (former Petersen's and PriMedia) is Executive Field Editor InterMedia Outdoor, including GUNS & AMMO, Petersen's HUNTING, and RIFLESHOOTER.

WRITING EXPERIENCE:
In excess of 3000 magazine articles published. Author of 19 books on hunting and shooting:

AMERICA--THE MEN AND THEIR GUNS THAT MADE HER GREAT (Collection, Caroline House, 1981)
CAMPFIRES AND GAME TRAILS (Winchester Press,1985)
FROM MT. KENYA TO THE CAPE--TEN YEARS OF AFRICAN HUNTING (Safari Press, 1987)
DEER HUNTING COAST TO COAST (with Bob Robb, Safari Press 1989)
SHOTS AT BIG GAME (Stackpole, 1989)
SAFARI RIFLES (Safari Press, 1991)
HUNTER'S HANDBOOK (Mallard Press, 1992)
AMERICAN HUNTING RIFLES (Safari Press, 1995)
WHITETAIL MEDICINE (Derrydale Publishing, 1995)
WHERE LIONS ROAR (Safari Press, 1997)
MAKE IT ACCURATE (Safari Press, 1999)
SEARCH FOR THE SPIRAL HORN (Safari Press, 2002)
THE AFRICAN EXPERIENCE (Safari Press, 2001)
THE PERFECT SHOT (Safari Press, 2002)
AFRICAN HUNTER II (with Peter Flack and others) (Safari Press, 2004)
FAIR CHASE IN NORTH AMERICA (Boone and Crockett Club, 2004)
A LIFE ON SAFARI (by Geoff Broom with Craig Boddington) (Mission Trails, 2005)
BUFFALO! (Safari Press,2005)
LEOPARD (With Tim Danklef and Dave Fulson) (Mission Trails, 2007)
TRACKS ACROSS AFRICA (Safari Press, 2007)
SAFARI RIFLES II (Safari Press, 2008)

PUBLISHED IN GERMANY, SPAIN, ENGLAND, AUSTRALIA, SCOTLAND, CANADA as well as the United States.

INAUGURAL RECIPIENT of Peter Hathaway Capstick Literary Award from Safari Club International, 1997.

SHOOTING SPORTS WRITER OF THE YEAR, Outdoor Writers Association of America, 1999.

RECIPIENT, Leupold “Jack Slack Writer of the Year” award, 2005.

RECIPIENT, Safari Club International’s “CJ McELROY AWARD” 2008.

RECIPIENT, “CONKLIN AWARD,” Conklin Foundation, 2009.

PRESIDENT, Weatherby Foundation International (from July 2004), Selection Committee, Weatherby Hunting and Conservation Award

BOARD MEMBER, PARALYZED VETERANS OF AMERICA OUTDOOR HERITAGE FUND

BOARD MEMBER, NRA WHITTINGTON CENTER

NEW PRODUCTS EDITOR, SAFARI Magazine.

REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR to FAIR CHASE, the magazine of the Boone & Crockett Club. Consultant to Boone & Crockett's Publications Committee.

ASSOCIATIONS:
Member of Boone & Crockett Club; Foundation for North American Wild Sheep; National Rifle Association; Professional Outdoor Media Association; Professional Hunters Association of South Africa. Past President, Board of Governors, Los Angeles Chapter Safari Club International; Life Member, Safari Club International; Life Member, Dallas Safari Club.

SPEAKING/SEMINAR/FILM EXPERIENCE:
Featured speaker for numerous shows and organizations, including seminar on "Deer Hunting Coast to Coast" for NRA's Great American Hunters Tour; featured speaker on African and North American hunting for International Sportsmen's Expositions; keynote speaker for: Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Foundation for North American Wild Sheep, Dallas Safari Club, M'Zuri Safari Foundation. Featured in numerous hunting videotapes, including Swarovski Optics' "Affordable Africa" series, Weatherby's "Cape Buffalo" video, etc. Co-Host of “Guns & Ammo Television” series, co-host of “Petersen’s HUNTING Adventures”, host of “Dallas Safari Club’s Tracks Across Africa”, all on The Outdoor Channel. With Safari Classic Productions, produced Boddington on Buffalo, Boddington on Leopard, Craig Boddington’s African Experience, Boddington on Buffalo 2, Boddington on Elephant DVD’s.

NORTH AMERICAN HUNTING EXPERIENCE:
Hunted big game in 29 American states, seven Canadian provinces, five Mexican states in all regions of North America. This experience includes nine Alaskan hunts, 22 Canadian hunts, 14 hunts in Mexico, whitetail deer hunting in 20 states, and extensive experience in the western U.S. for 35 years. Successfully hunted all varieties of North American big game except jaguar, walrus, polar bear.

INTERNATIONAL HUNTING EXPERIENCE:
--75 African safaris, including hunting in: Kenya, Zimbabwe, Namibia, South Africa, Zambia, Botswana, Tanzania, Mozambique, Ethiopia, Central African Republic, Chad, Cameroon. --Only living American journalist who has hunted Africa's Big Five of elephant, rhino, lion, leopard, and buffalo. --Only living journalist who has hunted Africa's nine principal spiral-horned antelopes, consisting of: greater kudu, lesser kudu, bushbuck, nyala, mountain nyala, common eland, giant eland, sitatunga, and bongo. Only living person known to have taken all of these species twice. --Only journalist to hold Ovis/Grand Slam Club’s World Slam of Wild Sheep and Capra World Slam of wild goats, and “Triple Slam” incl. North American Grand Slam. --Collected more than 100 species of African big game, more than 200 species worldwide; including numerous Rowland Ward and Safari Club record book entries. --20 European hunts, including hunting in: England, Scotland, Greece, Finland, Hungary, Spain, Austria, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Romania. --Additionally has hunted in Azerbaijan, China, Mongolia, Siberia, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Turkey, Argentina, Australia, New Caledonia, and New Zealand. --Big-game hunting experience on all six continents.

ADDITIONAL HUNTING and SHOOTING EXPERIENCE:
Former All-American trapshooter. Collegiate and inter-service smallbore and centerfire rifle and pistol competitor. Qualified "Marine Corps Expert" with rifle and pistol for 20 consecutive years. Avid handloader since 1965.

MILITARY EXPERIENCE:
31 years service as Marine Corps infantry officer. Served as infantry platoon commander, company executive officer, infantry company commander, headquarters company commander, battalion logistics officer, battalion operations officer, battalion executive officer, regimental operations officer, infantry battalion commander, Assistant Chief of Staff/G-3 (Operations) on brigade staff, Group commanding officer. Activated in support of Operation Desert Shield/Storm in 1991 and Operation Vigilant Warrior in 1994. Recalled to active duty for six months in 1997 and six months in 1998 to serve as Current Operations Officer for I Marine Expeditionary Force. Recalled to active duty to serve as Marine Forces Pacific Liaison to U.S. Central Command from January through April 1999. Recalled to active duty March-August 2000 to serve as Current Operatons Officer, I Marine Expeditionary Force. Recalled to active duty March 2002-February 2003 to serve as Commander, Combined-Joint Task Force Consequence Management, headquartered in Kuwait. Decorations include: Defense Superior Service Medal, Legion of Merit, Meritorious Service Medal (Gold Star in lieu of second award), Navy Commendation Medal (Gold Star in lieu of second award). Promoted to Colonel USMCR October 1996. Selected for promotion to Brigadier General USMCR in April 2001. Retired September 2005.

watermark.php

Johnny Vivier, Craig Boddington and Wiaan van der Linde

Last edited by a moderator:
I really know who Craig is, have met him at the shows, read most of his books and took a picture with him once, just like thousands of others. I also deeply respect him.

Just trying to bring a little levity, Bottington versus Boddington.

While the information from book were from locations that were given here is a reply to the Lesser Kudu from one of my facebook friends...

He has considerable experience hunting in Africa and i indicated that i would pass on his reply to my question...

The 2 options right now that are open Masailand in Tanzania and Ethiopia. There may be a chance in the future in Uganda

James,

It is OK to say your facebook friend with considerable experience is Craig Boddington.

Well I got it- So hilarious I spit my drink

So, I'm at home and decided to browse through this thread, as I sit in my chair, laptop- in my lap, a stout glass of my favorite rum and as I scroll down I read>>>>

I just want to know who is this guy "Bottington"?
:rofl:

Then I read Jerome's post...icing on the cake :crazylol:

Anyone have suggestions on how to get libations out of the key pad? Wonder if my home owners will cover this if it crashes? :think:

Simply brilliant gentlemen...

Last edited:
So, I'm at home and decided to browse through this thread, as I sit in my chair, laptop- in my lap, a stout glass of my favorite rum and as I scroll down I read>>>>

:rofl:

Then I read Jerome's post...icing on the cake :crazylol:

Anyone have suggestions on how to get libations out of the key pad? Wonder if my home owners will cover this if it crashes? :think:

Simply brilliant gentlemen...

Come on now...I beat Mike by an hour and half on that one! :satisfied:

Here are some pictures of Lesser Kudus posted on AH Photo Gallery by members... Enjoy!

Ethiopia
watermark.php

Tanzania
watermark.php

watermark.php

29 inch Lesser Kudu

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

28 inch Lesser Kudu

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

28 inch Lesser Kudu

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerome, Thanks a lot for posting all the great kudu pics. The hunter who shared my 2x1 hunt in Tanzania in 1985 also took a Lesser kudu, a nice one if I recall. We did not see many but I was only there a week. As to the post about Craig Boddington; Like many here I have met and talked to Craig a couple of times. Seems like a real good guy to me and if I may, he has packed one hell of lot of living into one lifetime and I salute his drive and energy which exceeds my own about 100 fold!

Come on now...I beat Mike by an hour and half on that one! :satisfied:

Usually when I try to be funny I make people mad. My comment was an add on to yours.:cool:

Usually when I try to be funny I make people mad. My comment was an add on to yours.:cool:

:) Yea, I was being a smart azz. I couldn't let that lay there...that is a fault of mine!

Those are great pics of those "Mini Kudu's"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!