Hunting info near Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada ?

joester

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
No. Amer. Moose Foundation, Mule Deer Found; RMEF (life Member), SCI, NRA, RGS, NWTF, PF, DU, Izaac Walton League, Nat'l. Trappers Assoc.
Hunted
US / Canada/Namibia/Moz/Zim
Hello,

I have a friend who's moving to Fort McMurray and I'm invited up to visit...She's from Labrador and doesn't know any hunting info. around Fort Mac... I'm from the US so I know I'd need an outfitter to hunt big game, no problem there. My wife shot a nice moose near Edson in '06 but we've not been farther north in Alberta...What big game is up that way, particularly in good numbers? Any outfitter reccomendations? What's the "lay of the land like?' I'm concerned about all those oil fields; the Edson area was dotted with new nat'l gas lines/roads... I'll be headed up Fall 2012...

Any/all advice is greatly appreciated!

Ft. Mac is big time muskeg country! The only access period is the oil/gas roads and cutlines that you seem concerned about. Without them there would be no Ft. Mac, no access and no raw materials to make gasoline, diesel, plastics, etc basically almost everything we use daily in our lives.

As for hunting, spring bear baiting is great, Moose are plentiful with some big ones available mostly farther from the roads and there are great Whitetails starting about 1hr south of there in the Agriculture.

Your freind, once she becomes a resident for 1 year, can get a class C guide licence and take you for bear or deer on a general archery or rifle licence. Moose can be hunted only in archery season. Wolf is also available.

Thanks for the HELPFUL info; I didn't mean to fully downgrade the energy source exploration; but its certainly not a panacea, either... Hunters are, after all, the first consevationists.

She will need to obtain a Hunter Host license.
Can't agree more about the hunting info Diamond gave you.
Add a few Birds that are also available if you want to chase them around up there.

A little more info on what your friend will need to do to get you out hunting up there.

But she is going to have to pass the Hunter Education Course first. (If she is a first time hunter)
A non hunter can not be a hunter host, see regs.

It is not hard to do the course though.
The URL for Hunter ed Instructors Assoc. They can tell her all about courses.
Alberta Hunter Education Instructors Association

URL for Hunting regulations in Alberta.
Licensing and Costs

Qualifications to be "A Hunter Host"

Must be an adult resident, and be eligible to hold recreational hunting licences.
Must be the holder of a valid WIN and Hunter Host Licence (below).
may not provide services for gain or reward, or accept remuneration, directly or indirectly, for such services.
may host a maximum of two (2) hunters/year, either Non-residents (Canadian), Non-resident Aliens or a combination thereof. If hosting 2 Non-resident Aliens, at least 1 must be a relative.
may host Non-resident Aliens only if the host has not hosted a Non-resident Alien in the previous two (2) fiscal years (April 1 to March 31).
must report to the Fish and Wildlife Division by December 31 in the year of harvest all hunting activities by the Non-resident Aliens he or she hosted. A report must be submitted even if the hunter doesn't harvest an animal.
must accompany the hunter(s) named on his or her Hunter Host Licence while they are hunting big game under the authority of the Hunter Host Licence.
Hunter Host Licence
A resident who wishes to be a Hunter Host may purchase a Hunter Host Licence online at albertarelm.com or at any licence issuer. You must have the WIN(s) of the non-resident(s) at the time of purchase. You must ensure that the hunters you host are named on your Hunter Host Licence. If you purchase your Hunter Host licence naming one hunter and you decide to add a second hunter to your licence at a later date, you can do so at no additional charge. Return to albertarelm.com or to a licence issuer with your licence and have it amended. Once you have purchased your Hunter Host Licence, the hunters may purchase their licences.

A Hunter Host who plans to take a non-resident alien hunting must do the following:

Go to a Fish and Wildlife Division office in person and initiate an application (including statutory declaration). Sign it and have your signature sworn. If your Non-resident Alien is not a relative, you must start this process by August 31 or February 28 as described above.
Have the Non-resident Alien sign the application and have his or her signature sworn. If the Non-resident Alien does not have a WIN, have him or her fill out a WIN application at the same time.
Take the completed application to a Fish and Wildlife Division office. The application will be reviewed for final approval and keyed into the automated licensing system.
When you are notified that your application is approved, go online at albertarelm.com or to any licence issuer and purchase your Hunter Host Licence (see above) and the appropriate Wildlife Certificate and licences.

Go have fun playing in the boreal forest.

I really appreciate the detailed info; But rather than have my young lady friend be my guide, I'd rather have her accompany me as an observer, with my wife as the hunter and hire a PROFESSIONAL OUTFITTER who has grown up in & knows the area & the deer & moose habits...Any references along those lines? Again---Fort MacMurray Alberta

Have a look at Garrett Bros. Outfitting. I believe there territory is north east of Macmurray, and is fly in, or maybe jet boat, so there shouldn't be too many oilfield roads, if any.

They offer Moose, Black bear, and Whitetail. Their website looks pretty promising. Check them out.

Thanbks! I found my 1st moose guide from APOS, they're great.

Hope your hunt works out when you finally arrange it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LauriMolon

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!