Hunting in Germany

Discussion in 'Hunting Europe' started by richteb, Oct 11, 2011.

1. richteb

richteb AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SSAA,Military Pistol Club
    Hunted:
    Australia,Zimbabwe
    I am current applying for a contract with a mining company here is Aus. If successful, the first stage is 3 month stay in Germany (not sure where).

I would like to know what the possibilities are for a visitor to do some hunting (if any). If anyone has any ideas I would be greatfull if you could let me know.
  2. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
  3. richteb

richteb AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Australia,Zimbabwe
  4. joester

joester AH Veteran

Member of:
    No. Amer. Moose Foundation, Mule Deer Found; RMEF (life Member), SCI, NRA, RGS, NWTF, PF, DU, Izaac Walton League, Nat'l. Trappers Assoc.
    Hunted:
    US / Canada/Namibia/Moz/Zim
    If you are sincere, and lucky (!), you may meet a a land- (aka estate) owner who will invite you to hunt with him, mostly driven game : roe deer & hogs. My wife was trying on cowboy hats in Amarillo, having just driven back from a cow elk hunt in nearby NM. Visitors in the shop were speaking German, all hunters, guys & gals, & we ended up invited to hunt with them on their home property...Haven't gone...yet,,,Africa has "captured" us for now... rural Germans, like country people the world over, are great folks...Your best bet is to research the region you'll be staying & get out & meet people, in pubs, in jaegergeshefts (hunting stores) and best place, drive up & speak w/farmers...Be open & honest & you'll be pleasantly surprised...
  5. Macs B

Macs B AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Richteb
    Sorry I'm a bit behind on this one, I see that the first post is a year old now. If you are still interested by all means PM me with any questions. I am currently not in Germany, having to take a semi arid sabbatical somewhere north of Pakistan.
    The bottom line is there are ways to go hunting and the licensing is actually quite quick and easy. I can get you some contact info for local Bavarian Jagers and forest meysters who would be willing to put you in the high seat for Reh bock and boar. If you have a desire for Red Deer you might need to take a package hunt with an outfitter. Not as cheap as hunting with the locals but very nice. Let me know.
  6. RickB

RickB AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA lifetime, SCI Member, Longhunters LLC
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Germany, USA (OH, NY, VA, PA)
    Being a military brat I had the great fortune of hunting Germany about 14 years ago. I loved every second of it. At the time getting the license is kind of tuff. You can't just go to Walmart and buy a license and tag. The two weeks of class room work learning the animals and traditions of hunting is something I will never forget. Times ave changed so it may be a little easier to hunt now. If you have the chance to go with a local forester do it. You don't see a Roe buck every day. To have a skull mount or even better yet a shoulder mount would be something few people have. I have never seen one here in the states other than the 10 in my sons room. I hope to some day return to at least Europe an hunt again!
  7. Macs B

Macs B AH Veteran

My Photos:
    The license for a "tourist" is very easy to get. Essentially all you need is proof of a license from another country and your passport with entry stamp as a form of identification. Once your hunting background has been established you are entitled to buy a 29 day tourist license, in two week increments. Price is about 25 euro per license. This is not the same as your German Jagdsheim, it is for tourist hunters only.
  8. richteb

richteb AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Australia,Zimbabwe
    Thanks for all the info.

Macs, I am still waiting to find out if I am going. Should know in the next week or so. If I do I will pm and take advantage of your knowledge.

Again, thanks.
  9. Craig Willey

Craig Willey BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Member

Hunted:
    USA & Germany
    I am living in Germany, and can answer question about hunting here.