Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Hunting Gemsbok Shot Placement

Post your questions, comments or pictures relating to hunting shot placement.

Hunting Gemsbok
gemsbok_shot_placement.jpg

Hunting Gemsbok
gemsbok_perfect_shot.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my classic heart shot on an old herd Gemsbok.

Gemsbok Shot Placement Video

Last edited by a moderator:
That was a nice video! From all the TV shows & everything I've read these are very tough animals to kill... The 2 I've shot one turned 180 degrees, lowered his horns at me & fell 0ver dead & the other one ran 10 yds & laid down. The bottom line is shot placement & making the perfect shot!! Again Jerome great pictures of the kill zones on these African animals it definitely will help anyone to know these vital zones!!

Good video and great shot!!!!

Thx Guys. Range was about 50 metres useing a .308W with 165 Woodleigh PPSN's. Projectile was found under the skin on the off side. I could feel the petals through the skin.

Gemsbok.jpg

Attachments

• Gemsbok.jpg
    Gemsbok.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 959
I also found that Oryx is very hard to kill. I hunted with Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in .45-70. I used my hand load (420grs wide nose hard cast, V0=1730 fps shooting at big bull at 50 meters. I shot him diagonally thru left shoulder and bullet stopped at the opposite side (could feel and see bullet under the skin). Reading some African experience, I was very confident that this bullet can secure exit would under any circumstances. Obviously I was wrong and bullet retention of only 61% didn’t help  I couldn’t find a single drop of blood and even wound was absolutely dry. Luckily, shot was great, so Oryx run 30m before falling down for good.

My first Gemsbok

Gemsbok Female, my first gemsbok.
Hunted in South Africa, with a 300 Win Mag, bullet RWS KS; distance 130 m.

16ius6f.jpg

My first three shots were a bit backwards... but i didn´t know that in that moment. Grouping was perfect... alltogether... but not good enough shoot placement.

The animal run away with herd in the first two shots, and i tracked and pursuit the herd to get a new oportunity to shoot the wounded gemsbok.

Finally i decided to aim higher... and the animal fell down with the fourth shot.:D

Conclusion: If the impact is too backwards... you hit in the guts or in the edge of the lungs...and is not enough to hunt a though gemsbok.

Note : Even shooting with a 300 Win mag in short distance... NO EXIT hole in the other side of the gemsbok.

Best regards
Jose

Attachments

• 16ius6f.jpg
    16ius6f.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 3,274
Code4

Great Shot!!!!

Monish

placement

According to Jerome´s pictures, my first three bullets are in the edge of the lungs/heart area...not far away from the lethal area... even so... with the conmotion of THREE impacts in the neighbourhood of the hearth... only the last one (i think is clearly a lungs shot) force him to surrender.

My experience with gemsboks... they are reallt tough animals... and i have shooted several... allways difficult to hunt. I think is the one of the hardest animals pound to pound.

here you have some pics of other of my gemsboks.

35mkryp.jpg

This is a silver medal 38 inches bull. The bullet entrance is in the lungs...a bit high... the animal run away 150 meters before he died.

2upepft.jpg

This is a 39 1/3 inches bull, gold medal... hunted in the Kalahari desert. He run away 50 meters before he fell down... Hearth shot with a 375 H&H.

JM

:)

Attachments

• 2upepft.jpg
    2upepft.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 1,239
  • 35mkryp.jpg
    35mkryp.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 970
jose,

fine heads , must have been a great hunt !!

Monish

In the area where i hunt the quality of Gemsbok is superb... one of the best places in South Africa for shooting trophy gemsboks.

I hunt some of them every year... really amazing animals.
Jose

The thing with Gemsbok is that their skin is very thick and will expand like rubber sheeting. Hence the no exit.

Hey team sorry to dig up an old thread just trying to learn a bit more about these animals, this article is great on where to hit them just curious as to what most people feel comfortable shooting them with and with your chosen calibers are you sticking to premium bullets like TTSX or Partition

Thanks for any advice
Regards Matt

I have taken two with the 9.3x62 using 250gr Nosler Accubonds. Both one shot kills. The first was back a bit near the diaphragm, ran about 50 yards and keeled over. Second was a quartering front angle shot from about 175 yds. Put it in the near shoulder and bang flop.

hey sestoppelman with your 9.3 were you getting complete pass through and did you get a chance to have a look at the internal damage your rounds did?

with those 270's and 7mm will that give pass through or is that just the basic requirement to take a Gemsbok down?

hey sestoppelman with your 9.3 were you getting complete pass through and did you get a chance to have a look at the internal damage your rounds did?

with those 270's and 7mm will that give pass through or is that just the basic requirement to take a Gemsbok down?
It depends on shooting distance and tipe of bullets used.I would recommend the 270 and 7mm as minimum calibers.On a broadsideshot they will pass through the vitals and that is all that is needed.

cheers for the information exactly what I needed to know as I am leaning towards my 7RM loaded with 160gr partitions. thanks for clearing that up

The side lung shot was a pass through. The other was shot for meat so no one bothered to check it out, but I know it did not exit due to the angle, but it sure knocked it flat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeilaLemie

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg