Hunting Elephant

Wouldn't want bluey running around in the bush with his cocktails of booze and pills, acting like a bushman. Might get arrow in the butt, he will have to wait for day 3..

This is great! Keep it coming.
I wish all you ph's had time to write your experiences down. There is so much to be learned from y'all and such wonderful stories. One of the most amazing things to me is that when it comes to the hunt, it's the same as it was in the days of Selous, Mienertzhagen, and a host of others long past. Despite the generation gaps the hunt hasn't changed. TMS you do a great job of story telling. It would be of great benefit to future generations if you would write your experiences down. Plus I can guarantee you if you published them I'd buy them.

Ive stopped knocking myself out each afternoon, with a beer at pain killer time,
Its not hurting that much anymore.
Been a bloody long week though,wasnt expecting it to hurt this much
Now im out bowhunting an elephant , i wish ."..........
How the hell , did i get tangled up in this virtual hunt, again..???
Im missing something ,here???

Ive stopped knocking myself out each afternoon, with a beer at pain killer time,

Now im out bowhunting an elephant , i wish ."..........
How the hell , did i get tangled up in this virtual hunt, again..???
Im missing something ,here???

:E Hmmm:you sure your not still taking the pills with a beer?????:E Big Grin:

this thread has been a great deal of fun to read!

replace the bow with a bolt gun in 505 Gibbs and im there.

-matt

Now day 3, was a total different ball game, even now thinking of it makes the hair stand on my arms...it doesn't get much closer than this...

Now Simon,

You know its not appropriate to write a statement like this and leave on a 20 day hunt.:oops:

As client, what goes through your mind when you wake up in the morning on an elephant safari?

What's for breakfast?

Can't hunt on an empty stomach!

this thread has been a great deal of fun to read!

replace the bow with a bolt gun in 505 Gibbs and im there.

-matt

now matt some times you really have to give up...............................................................:whistle:.....;).......:D Beers:

Day 3..some mornings you just wake up with that gut feeling"today is going to be the day". I just couldn't wait to get out there and start hunting. Cooler boxes packed and we off , less one PH, has a bout of malaria. About 3 kilometers from the river we found a set of tracks crossing the road, we got off and set out on foot to investigate the track, the bull had crossed just before sunrise, this was a track I had never come across before, on 690 000 acres you never know what to expect. This was a monster track, and he was about 2 hours ahead of us.

So off we set, this bull was leading us on a ghost path, circle after circle but not good enough to confuse Tomei and Albino, these trackers are just a work of art to watch, a few hours later the tracks were so fresh I could smell and feel the bull's presence.

Around midday we got our first sighting of the bull. He was slowly walking away from us, we stayed back, waiting for him to stop. The wind had us swing from side to side as the wind changed direction, I decided to take a chance and to do a dog leg around him to keep him from getting our scent. Worked perfectly.

I finally got a look at his tusks, man this was the real deal, a monster of a bull, I turned to look at bluey, his eyes were the size of the moon, the rush pumping through my veins was just unbelievable, I chambered a round, it wasn't going to be long until I got a real close up look of his tusks..he was standing about 50 yards from us broad side....slowly his head begun to drop and I knew our chance was coming....he was ready to take a nap.

Bluey and I slowly moved in 40 yards...35 yards...25 yards...23 yards..bush covering his vitals...move to the left..18 yards..15 yards..we have the perfect shot...up comes the bow, I am at awe of the size of this bull...a bull dreams are made of....

Keep it coming Simon

so far an awesome read, keep it coming

Blimey you got involved cause you bow hunt as does this client....... Fun read. Makes you feel like your there. Bruce

what did l do , what did l do, you cant stop now ,you shit........

Someday Simon....someday. Great read, keep it up. This story has been in my dreams for most of my life.

As Bluey lifts his bow, so does the bull lift his head at the same time, I reach out to Bluey to keep him still, I am confident the bull doesn't know we there, but something is happening, out of the corner of my eye I see another elephant bull approaching and realize that this bull has woken our bull up. The bull is about 80 yards from us, a respectable 65 pounder, but dwarfed by the size of the bull in front of us. Instantly the big bull takes off at the smaller bull, they begin to size each other up, the smaller bull realizes it's not of his best interest and moves off to our right, the big bull following closely behind him. We are now stuck between a rock and a hard place, we can't move and I know it's not going to be long before they pick up our scent, they keep moving around us, the smaller bulls begins to head away, the big bull keeps moving around our right, then suddenly he stops, raises his trunk and my stomach sinks, I know what is about to happen, I pull Bluey behind me...then all hell breaks lose the bull comes charging straight at us, ears and trunk up, at 40 yards he knocks a few trees down, this sure doesn't help my nerves...20 yards, 15yards...I am begging in my mind for the elephant to stop, shouting at him, my rifle is up, no more tension left on the trigger....roughly 10 yards away he eventually stops...I am watching him down my barrel, his ears flapping....he puts his trunk out at me, full length, and then lets out the most deafening sound I have ever heard....every hair on my body is standing erect, he has crossed my safety line, but I just can't squeeze the trigger, this bull is just so majestic, he's over 90 pounds, I don't know for long we stood there..but felt like forever....without a worry in the world, he turned and just walked away.....and it was all over. We gave it about 30 minutes and then went after him again, but I agreed with the trackers he wasn't go to stop and we wouldn't catch up to him again. When the bull left, I turned around to look at bluey, he was as white as a ghost....I bet I was as well. I know that I will meet up that old tusker again....and I look forward to that day..

Day 4,5,6 and 7, we saw a few herds and some bulls, but nothing to write home about......bluey did manage to take a sable with his bow..

Day 8 bluey's dreams come true.

Sable taken with a bow.

DSC_4312.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross