HUNTING Elephant

One of Bell's best-known drawings, showing the angles and point of impact for a brain shot on a tusker going away. Bell dissected elephants and sawed up their skulls until he knew exactly how to reach a vital organ from any perspective. He also knew that a small bullet could kill an elephant just as readily as a big one, if it was put in the right spot.

watermark.php

Karamojo Bell used a .303 Lee Enfield to shoot Elephants

watermark.php

"With one eye shut" from The Wanderings of An Elephant Hunter by Walter D.M. Bell

watermark.php

The wanderings of An Elephant Hunter by Walter D.M. Bell

This is the first book written by W. D. M. Bell, an intrepid adventurer, who was known far and wide as é©aramojo Bell for his extraordinary elephant hunting exploits in the Karamoja province of Uganda and elsewhere. Wanderings, considered by many to be the greatest of all elephant books by the greatest of all elephant hunters, is a series of elephant hunting essays and stories from the glory days of Bell's career.

It gives Bell's experiences in Uganda, Sudan, Ethiopia, Central Africa, and West Africa. Bell's approach to elephant hunting was unusual for his day and time. He studied the anatomy of elephants in order to establish the trajectory of bullets from any angle, and he discusses his theories in this CD. Foremost an elephant title, Wanderings also includes tales of derring do with buffalo and lion.

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Elephant heart.

watermark.php

PERFECT BRAIN SHOT ON ELEPHANT JUST HUNTED 2013

This Elephant sat down / collapsed so quickly that its back feet "scooted" forward and it was sitting on its tail. You could not even see the base of its tail. This is the 1st for me to have a Elephant sit on its tail so to speak. Many brain shot Elephant normally have their back feet facing backwards if they fall in this up right position or sometimes one foot may be under the Elephant at least in my experience the tail has always been visible.

Has anyone else experienced this? Unfortunately I did not take photo from behind the Bull.

P1000711.jpg
P1000647.jpg

Awesome pictures Wayne. I don't think I've ever seen that happen before!

Wayne what weight tusks were these? Thank you for a reply.

Wayne;
That is different.. sure made for some unique and cool pictures!

A great shot!

Okey.....the brainshot is a classic and decisive killing shot on elephant.....but what if a lung/heartshot is the only offered..?

A well placed .450 - .500 calibre, 480-570 grain bullet should do the job...or what..?

Pondoro it will but if you can get the heart lung shot why would you not be able to get a brain shot.

Well, a succesful brainshot requrie a precise shot to a tiny spot. That may be a tricky shot given bad light, animal partly covered by bush, animal moving etc.....at least with a heavy double and iron sights..

I would have tried a frontal or sidal brainshot if the animal stood still and I had enough time to carefully aim and squeeze of the shot. Best way to go for an ele...no question.

But given a good hit in heart/lung the animal will die..

For those of you who have experience with the heart/lung shot....how far did the animal go before it died..? What can be expected..?

Well, a succesful brainshot requrie a precise shot to a tiny spot. That may be a tricky shot given bad light, animal partly covered by bush, animal moving etc.....at least with a heavy double and iron sights..

I would have tried a frontal or sidal brainshot if the animal stood still and I had enough time to carefully aim and squeeze of the shot. Best way to go for an ele...no question.

But given a good hit in heart/lung the animal will die..

For those of you who have experience with the heart/lung shot....how far did the animal go before it died..? What can be expected..?

Pondoro I would like to know the answer to your question as well. With the heart lung shot how far would one expect the animal to travel.

Pondoro it will but if you can get the heart lung shot why would you not be able to get a brain shot.

Thick cover immediately comes to mind, especially if the elephant is heading into thicker cover.

When hunting elephant it is beneficial to be well versed on aim points for side brain shots, frontal brain shots, heart & lung shots and the aim point for breaking a hip in the event it has been wounded and is running straight away. Know the beast.

Just my two cents.

Points Vitaux Chasse Elephant

Afrique chasse points vitaux du gibier africain - Elephant
Placement de balle pour un tir efficace

watermark.php

watermark.php

Francois, in my opinion, all brain shots on your illustrations, are way too high, or too far forward, with the exception of the last one, where it is only slightly too high.

Francois, in my opinion, all brain shots on your illustrations, are way too high, or too far forward, with the exception of the last one, where it is only slightly too high.

With that latest twin-pipe anti-aircraft shoulder cannon you are currently using does it still matter where you hit them :whistle:

Might not matter too much. I should think those 500 nitro express cannons would knock them down stunned if nothing else.

Paul, yes i still think it matters. Even with the .577

1. Spun around and died in its steps. Five rounds as fast as I could fire. First, third and fourth shots were all heart/lung and put it down. Second shot was missed brain shot as he was spinning. Final shot was a coup de gras. PH also shot one heart/lung shot after my first shot since we were on the boundary of the concession.

2. Apx. 30 yards from first shot. Elephant was wounded by me the day before and went many miles. PH and I both shot three heart/lung shots to put it down. Then a coup de gras.

Both animals were in open enough ground to continue firing.

My animals were taken with 375 and 404. Not sure how far it would be with only one h/l shot but doubt it would be over 200 meters. Larger caliber should be shorter.

I am not an expert at all but hope this helps.

All the best.

Wheels thanks for the comment! You have done this so you are much more expert than some of us. I'm coming to OK in a couple of weeks maybe we can get together!

Wheels thanks for the comment! You have done this so you are much more expert than some of us. I'm coming to OK in a couple of weeks maybe we can get together!

Just give me a ring.

I look forward to it, I should be able to make lunch or take off for a bit.

"Paul, yes i still think it matters. Even with the .577",

of-course you are right Karl, my post was nothing more than an attempt to "pull you chain" and illicit an aggravated response from you, but in typical Stumpfe fashion you remained cool, calm and collected and delivered an accurate final blow !

Best of health to you big fella hope your season is ultra successful and safe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeCast

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg