Hunting Elephant

When did USFW start allowing Elephant imports from Moz?

They were never banned, or not during this latest episode.

They were never banned, or not during this latest episode.

Hmm.... or maybe not? Fws.gov only lists namibia, SA, and Botswana as countries that can be imporated from. Is Moz already covered under CITES as a no no?

JTEX; You have up my hero shots right now! I'm heading over for a late season ele and buff in a few weeks..... anything close to what you have would put me on cloud 9!

Did I miss a hunt report from you? Would love to hear all about those adventures.

Bob

It is ILLEGAL to import ivory or other elephant parts from Mozambique to the United States. It has been ILLEGAL for years.

This information is readily available on the internet including right here on Africa Hunting. It is also fairly well known within the hunting community.

http://www.africahunting.com/threads/mozambique-hunting-information.14215/

As a member of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) Mozambique has a CITES quota for Elephants as well as for Leopard. Leopard trophies can be brought back into the United States, however note that the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service does not recognize the Elephant quota granted by CITES and it will not permit the importation of Elephant trophies from Mozambique into the United States.

The ruling from USF&W in April of this year only impacted Zim and Tanzania.

A word of advice to SSI, although doubtful, if you are bringing ivory from Mozambique to the US, it may not be a good idea to broadcast it on a public forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
JTEX; You have up my hero shots right now! I'm heading over for a late season ele and buff in a few weeks..... anything close to what you have would put me on cloud 9!

Did I miss a hunt report from you? Would love to hear all about those adventures.

Bob

There out there Bob! Go gettum.

Where are you going?

A CAMPFIRE area in SE Zim just across the Limpopo from Kruger.

Fantastic! The one in the picture is a Kruger bull from Mthimkulu. Have a wonderful time and shoot straight. Who you hunting with?

Thanks! Quinn from Threeways... Couldn't resist the deal and squeezed it in even though I should not take the time away... Added his last buff tag and taking the wife along with her 375 Ruger guide gun, who knows, maybe she will shoot the buff (which would be great because then I would have to go back for one of my own!) She would take a giraffe if it is not too hot to get the hide taken care of timely. He still has the ad up under the deals section. Check it out.

I just hope I can see to shoot through the sweat in my eyes.

We're going to Kruger a couple days before... How do you chase big elephant bulls across the river? LOL

Bob,

When are you leaving? I am going over on 11-1 via Delta

My wife always goes with me too, 5 trips so far. She has turned into a blood thirsty old woman, I gotta get a second job to pay HER trophy fees! I shot this Ele in March and it was damned hot like 115F..... miserable.

"How do you chase big elephant bulls across the river? LOL"

Maybe peanuts?????

Mike;
We're a week behind you.

I took some time to answer this question as it requires a bit of research given that there is nothing to the contrary recently.
The CITES website shows nothing more than the elephant from Mozambique is a CITES I & II
Further, there is nothing on the USFWL bulletin website.
I also called USFWL and they say NO elephants from Mozambique....I asked for them to send something updated in writing but they claim they cannot.
I will continue to pursue this issue........

Attachments

• Mozambique - Final 1st Amended Complaint.pdf
    130.2 KB · Views: 122
  • Microsoft Word - letter_to_dale_hall.pdf
    111.4 KB · Views: 133
Mike, that is seriously a long read, but tried my best. So if I understand correctly, it is legal to export elephant from Mozambique, but USF&W over rule and deny import permits?

I took some time to answer this question as it requires a bit of research given that there is nothing to the contrary recently.
The CITES website shows nothing more than the elephant from Mozambique is a CITES I & II
Further, there is nothing on the USFWL bulletin website.
I also called USFWL and they say NO elephants from Mozambique....I asked for them to send something updated in writing but they claim they cannot.
I will continue to pursue this issue........

So they "say" no but cannot document why not? Is this the way our US government does business now? I don't know what is crazier, the way these bureaucrats think they can play God or that they actually get away with it.

US Fish and Wildlife Dept. does the dirty work, they really don't have to follow any pattern of organization. If the right political power was in place in Washington, I guarantee we could turn things around 180 degrees in no time. But it is about the politics and having the power. They really have been anti-hunter friendly the last ten years...starting with the stop of the polar bear importation.

Yea McCain and Palin might have been interesting.

US Fish and Wildlife Dept. does the dirty work, they really don't have to follow any pattern of organization. If the right political power was in place in Washington, I guarantee we could turn things around 180 degrees in no time. But it is about the politics and having the power. They really have been anti-hunter friendly the last ten years...starting with the stop of the polar bear importation.

I fully agree with you. The USFW is under the whim of the politicians and the politicians are listening to whichever lobby group is strongest. Lets face it the anti hunting/animal rights nuts have a stronger lobby than hunters as a whole do. But to add salt to the wound unlike the anti hunters the hunters are divided as most hunters aren't particularly concerned about elephant or polar bear imports being banned as they don't plan on ever hunting those animals. The general population is either indifferent to the hunting of these animals or against it, very few non hunters are strongly in favor for it. So you really only have a small portion of hunters vs. all of these other interest groups.

There definitely isn't any science or good reason behind the import ban except politics. I mean if an international body (CITES) allows for the export of trophies from these countries and the majority of countries allow for their import and this is all based on research and on the findings of people who actually study, live around and see elephants everyday who is some USFW bureaucrat (who has probably only seen an elephant or polar bear in a zoo) to say that these findings are wrong?

The only hopes of educating the public most of have is to support the organizations that do that for us... And, to take it up one person at a time whenever and wherever you can.... Talk to people, especially those indifferent ones. I was able to get a guy to tell me he could understand now why lions and other dangerous game needs to be hunted. This is a guy who is not anti hunter per say, but very anti gun and who told me "you can go look at the animals, you don't need to shoot them". One piece at a time, and it doesn't cost you a dime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross