Hunting ear protection?

I, too, suffer from permanent hearing loss and tinnitus (constant ringing). Too many years of loud music and gunfire. I use custom-molded electronic protectors from E.A.R. that look like hearing aids and are effective. They block out loud noises over a certain decibel level but allow normal conversation to pass. I religously use them at the range, but I have to force myself to use them hunting. They are the best thing I have seen, though.

Reactions: BWH
After reading this and similar threads...and procrastinating for several years...I got myself a set of custom hearing protection. Honestly, not that expensive considering the downside

IMG_20170920_194319110.jpg

But, when I went to pick them up disaster struck! They did a hearing test, and I have perfect hearing...how the hell do I explain that to my wife! :eek::D;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep the custom molder ones in my pocket and it takes only a few seconds to pop them in. I've taken a snap shot at a kudu without them but few other shots. Usually, the animal is spotted and glasses before the stalk. I just put them in on for the stalk. I can hear well enough with them in; if I need a little more hearing I rotate one a little bit to break the seal.

Reactions: BWH
These ones actually amplify sound, so I can really hear everything. I thought that will be fun to try out this fall. But, when there is a sound louder than a certain level they cut out, thereby protecting one's hearing. And, as they are custom molded I am hopeful they will be comfortable to wear for long periods of time.

I went to the Republic of South Africa last May on a plains game hunt where I took 5 animals. My plan was to use hearing protection while shooting. To that end I wore some ear plugs around my neck while hunting and did not use them for one animal. As a result my hearing is just now returning to what it was when I left. My thought now is to purchase some high quality electronic ear muffs with the thought in mind that I could wear them constantly and therefore not forget to use them during the excitement of the shot. I have some $50 pairs that I use at the range that work most of the time, but I cannot say that they are all-day-comfortable. What say you? Thanks…
It's a tough call. The proper, custom made electronic hearing protection that WORKS is $1000 or much more. I use Sport Ear and they are ok. They do have a simple version called Ghost Strike that you might try if others are out of your price range. Hunting can be real hard on our hearing. As a rancher and hunting guide my ears are damaged at this stage. I have ringing in my ears and lots of trouble for a 45 year old.
Buy the best you are able to and use them lots before you go.
Regards,
Philip

Great advice folks!

Some of the louder guns are going to cause damage even with muffs. Attenuation levels of 20-30 db but volume levels of 160+ and even the best muffs may not be enough.

I think it is important to take other measures like paying significant attention to having a quiet rifle. I strive for non magnum practical levels of power, using bullet weight and size, so I would prefer a 308 to a 7-08. And enough barrel length, a lot of the rifles I like now come with these tactical barrel lengths like 16" Things can be done with the crown also.

To average people the DB scale is wildly misleading. A 30-06 out of a 20 inch barrel was measured at 163db. A .375 out of an 18" barrel with a brake was measured at 170db. If we were measuring that on the relative power of the pressure wave, with the 30-06 at 100, the 375 would be 600, yet on the db scale it is only a 4.3% larger number. Also, 140db is capable of causing immediate permanent damage. So with good muffs, properly instanlled (do you wear you glasses with the muffs, you are loosing a lot of protection through that hole), the 170db will still cause damage.

Also, it isn't just the volume, it is the duration. Some blasts are longer.

The buzz you hear in your ears after when you discharge a gun, is the last broadcast of the nerves you killed with that shot. If you aren't bothered by gunfire, you already blew those nerves. As Jeff Cooper once complained, gunfire is not that loud, but this dance he went to was awful. Guess why.

Protect yourself from other activities. Don't go to rock concerts. I went to see The Cure, holy mother of god they were loud. But everyday stuff is also damaging. A hammer is in the 120 range when it contacts the nailhead, it just has a very short duration.

Take up bowhunting. :)

I think in NA, anyway, that the trend is to a lot of stuff like shooting steel, and not hunting. Look at a guy like Hickock 45, he doesn't hunt, but enjoys all kinds of field guns. People who do that kind of thing are not exposed to gunfire without muffs, so they think nothing of an 8" barrel (up here in Canada), so we get all these rifles with short barrels, and muzzle brakes.

I use Cens ProFlex Hunter custom made, active in ear protection. Expensive? Yes, but worth it. Uncomfortable? Can’t say I enjoy wearing them, cause I don’t like having anything inside my ears but I can wear these for hours without any serious discomfort or pain. Also the way I look at it I can use these now while hunting or at the range or wear a somewhat similar device at all times sometime in the future due to hearing loss. Things I don’t like about them - difficult to turn on and up or down in gloves and the fact they use zinc air batteries typically used in hearing aids. These batteries work great for frequent and continues use but even unused will run out of power relatively quick once opened and exposed to air, a lithium type battery would work much better for someone like myself with a few hours a week of usage. Mind you these batteries are cheap. Overall I like them a lot, you can even get a special device to wirelessly connect a radio to them.

I got looked at funny for putting in ear plugs at the bar last weekend. The physical pain I have from loud noises and tinnitus make me remember to use those things often

Get a set of ear protectors! Whether it be a set of ear muffs or in the ear protectors. All of them will be uncomfortable at first. Get use to them. Develop a system in your shooting life to always have them at hand just like you do with your ammunition.

My hearing loss is genetic though I am sure life style did not help. In order to hear at all today I wear hearing aids that cost the equivalent of a good plains game hunt. If you talked to me at the AH DSC get together I nodded a lot but I didn’t hear you. Hence I don’t sit with PH’s at that event. They will have me agreeing to 21 day full bag hunts. Can’t afford that. Hearing loss is no different than losing arms and legs.

I use a set of walker razor low profile muffs whenever I'm wing shooting or waterfowling..

I've been thinking about getting a set of the walker "game ear" for rifle hunting.. They're pretty affordable (about $150-$160 depending on where you get them)..

They appear to be the exact same ear-pro I used 15+ years ago when I was still a cop.. back then walker made a product that looks identical that they called the "SWAT Ear".. I think I paid something like $400 for them back then..

I dont know that they are any better or worse that whats being offered by anyone else.. but the "SWAT ear" was a pretty serious improvement over other options in the late 90's/early 2000's (could be worn under a helmet, was lightweight, etc..) and worked well for me then.. so I figure I'll stick with what I know and am familiar with..

Not to Hijack the conversation, but the best thing I have done for my hearing was to buy suppressors. Suppressors combined with the hearing protection really quiets rifle noise for me and my family. My suppressors were cheaper than the in the ear types.

I probably have 4 pairs of over the ear Muffs, which work well for Range shooting but I have a few rifles with high cheek pieces that knock the muffs off my ear so I needed to find an alternative. I tried a pair of 28db Howard Leight Ear buds and found them to work very good. They have replacable buds which are available on line or E-bay. The only problem I have encountered with them is sometime the buds stay in my ear when I remove them. I also check to see where the lightweights who need muzzle break are situated at the range and get as far away from them as possible.

I already have severe hearing loss, which makes me wear hearing aids. That´s what comes with 40+ years of target shooting and hunting.

Even if you wear muffs, earplugs or both, with most calibers, specially magnums, your ear is still being damaged, and this damage accumulates.

Nowadays I hunt with supressed guns, if possible, otherwise I use the best electronic muffs I can find.

I normally use a pair of Pura-Fit 6800 foam inserts (NRR-32) and Peltor President Muffs while at the range. However I find the muffs sometimes to be an issue. The Pura Fit 6800s shut out just about everything so hunting with them blocks out the sounds made by an animals movement. So as a compromise I just use the "el cheapo" foam and or soft rubber inserts that are connected by a plastic lanyard. While not perfect, they do a tolerable job of mitigating the noise of a hunting rifle.

Not to Hijack the conversation, but the best thing I have done for my hearing was to buy suppressors. Suppressors combined with the hearing protection really quiets rifle noise for me and my family. My suppressors were cheaper than the in the ear types.

Unfortunately our “rulers” deem suppressors evil and illegal in some jurisdictions. I can’t use them in Australia or Poland.

We sell (& I used in Africa) Surefire EarPro products:
http://www.surefire.com/tactical-equipment/earpro-products.html
We also like the Walker Game Ear products.
The surefire are less than $20 & work great. I carry them in my vest & put them on when we start a stalk.

View attachment 203133
I also use surefire. After my first African hunt a couple of years back I learned the hard way to use protection for my ears. I’ve always used hearing protection at the range but for some unknown reason, I guess it was pure excitement I failed to use protection on that hunt. Result was a 35% hearing loss in my left ear. That 375 with a break is an ear ringer for sure. I really like surefire hearing protection I leave them in my ears the moment I step out of the truck. And around my neck while driving around. They work well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.