Hunting Bushpig

good video Gavin.

thanks

monish

Nothing beats pig hunting!!

I love hunting pigs at home (Australia) so I get very excited when I hit African dirt and get amongst bushpig and warthog. My best boar to date was taken on a cattle property at Nylstroom. We saw 8 pigs on a three day hunt on this property and I took a wonderful old boar: he's gnarly and tusky and has a wonderful silver shine! I still haven't seen another bushpig with this type of colouring anywhere.

Also had some very close encounters with bushpig in Zimbabwe on the Kana River. I was waiting in the riverbed on a small island for Chobe Bushbuck when a boar, two sows and six juveniles came wandering about, rooting at the sand and mud about 10 metres in front of me. An amazing experience!

Next plan is for Giant Forest Hog and Red River Hog in CAR - Christophe, I love the pigs you have taken with your clients! Grand Slam of African Swine here we come!

Attachments

• Bushpig_hanging with Zwelly.jpg
    Bushpig_hanging with Zwelly.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 167
  • Bushpig_tusks.jpg
    Bushpig_tusks.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 161
  • Bushpig_ears.jpg
    Bushpig_ears.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 155
  • Bushpig_Dan&Nic.jpg
    Bushpig_Dan&Nic.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 142
Schembridan,

good piggies !!!!!! you guys shoot Razorbacks ???

Monish

While I don't necessarily refer to them as razorbacks, we definitely hunt them!
Attached a few photos from a hunt in North Queensland near a town called Normanton. We shot over 40 quality boars in five days. All hunting on foot, mostly on flood plains and shoulder high grass.
Before I head across to Africa for a hunt I like to go out for a week amongst the pigs with my .450 Ackley and .300 Weatherby and get my eye in. The shooting can be fast and is often up close. Emptying 6 rounds very quickly from my ZKK602 .450 is a tremendous experience!

Attachments

• HangingBoar.JPG
    HangingBoar.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 162
  • LongGrassBoar.JPG
    LongGrassBoar.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 164
  • MonsterBoar.JPG
    MonsterBoar.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 161
  • SwampBoar.JPG
    SwampBoar.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 168
  • EarlyBoar.JPG
    EarlyBoar.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 135
  • One TuskBoar.JPG
    One TuskBoar.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 160
  • GangBoar.JPG
    GangBoar.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 174
Gavin, Cool video!
schembridan, Very nice pictures. Your bushpig with the silver shine might have a bit of albinism symptoms.

Schembridan, damn good porkees you shot there!!

What calibers you guys use generally use on them ?? .300 WM is a fanatastic caliber ,and .450 is thundorous , but this animal has guts of steel , can absorb loads of lead, I once took a boar which took 4 SNs 240 grainers through my 9.3X62 Husqvarna and the guy ran 400 mtrs , on opening it had a blown out heart & lungs but the will to live made it go on . Wild boar hunt is something a true hunter relishes the most , and you experience a real thrill in taking them ,I bet you agree????

Happy Hunting !!!

Monish

Monish - I'm 100% with you on this one! I love hunting all sorts of game, but hunting the pig in any of its forms would have to be my favourite sport. I think we should hear from more of our forum members about their experiences hunting the humble hog... whether it be an exotic from Central Africa or the local type at home.

Jerome - when the PH shouted "shoot the silver one" as they raced through the long grass in a shallow wash away, I simply went into autopilot and did my thing. I had actually hoped for one of those dark red and black animals, but to date I haven't seen any big boars while out hunting with this colouring - usually sows and juveniles. One of the PH's thought the colouring was due to extreme age, but he was in such good condition, and heavy! You think it's just an unusual colour-form?

schembridan,

True , boar hunting is something I always look forward to , and the best is to take them in a driven hunt with a big bore double , it comprises a complete package and thrill of a good hunt. Post some more snaps of the some fine hoggies u take.

Thanks

Monish

Gavin ,

Do you have Jack Russel pups to sell ?

Monish

Hi Monish,

No Jack Russell's, sorry.

Gavin ,

What are the other hounds??

Monish

Jerome - when the PH shouted "shoot the silver one" as they raced through the long grass in a shallow wash away, I simply went into autopilot and did my thing. I had actually hoped for one of those dark red and black animals, but to date I haven't seen any big boars while out hunting with this colouring - usually sows and juveniles. One of the PH's thought the colouring was due to extreme age, but he was in such good condition, and heavy! You think it's just an unusual colour-form?

watermark.php

schembridan, The coloring of your Bushpig is particularly light and pretty even from the head to the main body, a very light coat that I have not seen before on a bushpig to that extent. I have seen a couple of pictures of albino Bushpigs, much different, they were truly white in color... I really cannot say wether it's due to a receding gene or age, but it's a great pig!

Last edited by a moderator:
My bushpig was light in clor also,though not as much as above.

Had no hair on his warts or much of his muzzle area for that matter.

If you look you can see the lower legs of plains game used for bait,shot him at night.Poor mans lighted leopard hunt.

southafrica2007074.jpg

Attachments

• southafrica2007074.jpg
    southafrica2007074.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 143
Dinsdale,

Nice lilttle piggy boy!! seems to be good shoulder shot, what caliber ???

Monish

Excellent pigs!

Monish - the hounds are Gascon Saintongeois.

Here is a link to the club website:

Club du BLEU DE GASCOGNE

Your profile indicates you reside in India - surely a wonderful country for hunting.:cool:
Please tell us more.
Are there still many incidents of Leopard and Tiger predating on man?

Gavin,

My country has beautiful jungles full of fauna & flora , and had been a great hunting destinations once upon a time but after 1972 there has been a complete ban on feline hunting due to the decimation of Tiger & Panther population, and after 1999 hunting of all game legally has been banned.

We only have 1411 tigers and may be 6000 odd leopards left in the wild today , as the poaching is rampant and the Government with all its might is trying to curb it , but its of no avail , ill legal hunting is still on and it seems Tigers would vanish from his home land for ever.
At the turn of the century we nearly had 40000-50000 tigers , but all been hunted legally and ill legally , and its existence now has a bleak future and its very disheartening, I am few of the lucky ones to have seen them in wild and experience the allure of this magnificent animal which the poet William Blake has described in the best of manner:::

TIGER, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies
Burnt the fire of thine eyes?
On what wings dare he aspire?
What the hand dare seize the fire?

And what shoulder and what art
Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to beat,
What dread hand and what dread feet?

What the hammer? what the chain?
In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? What dread grasp
Dare its deadly terrors clasp?

When the stars threw down their spears,
And water'd heaven with their tears,
Did He smile His work to see?
Did He who made the lamb make thee?

Tiger, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?

Its a new fascination and an experience when ever you see a Tiger in the forests. And the flame is dying which is unfortunate and sad for this country .

Leopards are very elusive and are very rarely sighted but I do see them at times near my farm lands as they lurk around for goats & dogs, there have been spordiac human attacks but since quite many years never heard of a man eating Tiger but did have few leopards killing humans in few of the states.

The famous man eating leopard of Rudraprayag was killed in 1926 which was responsible for 125 reported human kills . And the famous tigress which had 436 human kills to her credit was the man eater of Champawat shot in 1911 . Both of these man eaters were silenced by Jim Corbett the famous hunter and a conservationist.

So this was little on the cat situation today in India

Are there any hounds for sale? would they be compatible with my rotweilers and great danes ?

Monish

Dinsdale,

It seems like the MB is scary ,9 ports I believe ? Iam in love with this caliber and have it in 2 fine makes Holland & holland double & Weatherby. Which make is that you own ??

Monish

Dinsdale,

It seems like the MB is scary ,9 ports I believe ? Iam in love with this caliber and have it in 2 fine makes Holland & holland double & Weatherby. Which make is that you own ??

Monish

That rifle is a Jarrett...it was a gift from a client.

Actually 56 holes in 8 rows of 7.I like it,and find most who dislike brakes have never used one or have been near a poor design of one.It doesn't exactly "blow your hat off",it is louder, but a normal rifle also destroys your hearing.Some where I have a with/without number;tested it at a recording studio I was rebuilding with a sound engineer.It's in the teens percentage wise,but I don't recall the exact number.

I have hunted with and without it as it unscrews.I have never had a PH complain.And since I have culled head shots with it,and it makes me more effective for one shot clean kills,any apprehension about it soon fades.I also had an opportunity to shoot a fair bit of Impala to bait for a couple of Leopard hunters with it,and speed and accuracy were important to get enough baits hanging quickly and to replentish old ones.I find it to allows me to better track a target after the initial shot,by taming recoil and muzzle flip.But I'm not to bashful about putting a second round into something standing either:)

If you think PH's hate muzzle breaks....they hate chasing poorly shot animals a whole lot more.IMO

I would most likely remove it if a hunt required PH back up in close proximity,but several have had hearing protection,and I always wear some.

But,to each his own;I'm not large in physical stature and it gives me an edge.

I have not responded to the other thread,but will here as it pertains to your question.

Good hunting.

Dinsdale

Dinsdale,

A pretty fine rifle , yeah , its a individualistic perception on MBs I never have used them as my physical frame is use to the big bores I am quite comfortable with my 460 Weatherby and 470 Rigby did use 505 Gibbs too but I think being breech loader doubles the wallop seems to be less , cant guess never could get into the intricacies.

Happy Hunting!!

Monish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildkatr

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross