Hunting Boot Help - Vellies / Veldskoens

The big secret with ALL types of vellies is the thickness and material of the sole... too thin and the rocks/ pebbles will have your feet aching within hours...uppers are your fancy/// kudu skin... eland whatever your fancy and depth of pocket.

The Swakop vellies are great, but they don't have re-enforcing around the tops, crepe soles. But the choice is yours.. Enjoy.

Welcome to AH, Mopanezam you based in Zambia?

Not any more - now based in SA. Immigration in Zambia didn't like being reported for being corrupt - I'll let you fill in the rest..

I have several pair from Swakop; note that these are not the "vellie" style, but more of a boot.Two pair have the softer sole, and I wear around town. I would consider them more of a "tracker" sole. The other two have a heavier, thicker sole, which is akin to the "Vibram" sole. I've worn these all over Namibia, Zambia, and Botswana, and they hold up well, and, so far, show little sign of wear. I found that putting in a pair of Rocking Insoles, which I found at Dallas Safari Convention several years ago, makes them suitable for miles of trekking. I've replaced the laces in all of mine with cowhide leather; much more durable and better looking than the originals. The one pictured here is my original soft sole; after four years this sole is showing some serious wear. However, these are the lightest, most comfortable shoes I own (and I own a bunch!)
IMG-20131123-00371.jpg

Ja - they look nice. High tight closed Boots like this make my feet seriously hot , and I wear vellies bare foot (as they were intended). My Swakop vellies were great, lasted about a year in the bush, and not easy to buy from where I live. The Ground cover last longer, and better stitched (I think). But enough of this - get whatever shoes blow your hair back..

I have several pair from Swakop; note that these are not the "vellie" style, but more of a boot.Two pair have the softer sole, and I wear around town. I would consider them more of a "tracker" sole. The other two have a heavier, thicker sole, which is akin to the "Vibram" sole. I've worn these all over Namibia, Zambia, and Botswana, and they hold up well, and, so far, show little sign of wear. I found that putting in a pair of Rocking Insoles, which I found at Dallas Safari Convention several years ago, makes them suitable for miles of trekking. I've replaced the laces in all of mine with cowhide leather; much more durable and better looking than the originals. The one pictured here is my original soft sole; after four years this sole is showing some serious wear. However, these are the lightest, most comfortable shoes I own (and I own a bunch!)View attachment 53889
Very nice, are the uppers kudu leather?

Yes- when kudu hides are in short supply, Herbert uses cowhide leather. There will be a cloth tag sewn into the boot indicating "Kudu Leder"; if not, they're cowhide. I have seen other boots in Swakop made of seal skin, can't say I've noticed any seal skin boots in African Leather Creations store. A German guy up in the shopping promenade between Tobias Hainyeko and Hendrik Witbooi streets sells the seal skin boots in various styles. I found the sizes to be inconsistent, and the fit to be awkward. I've seen some good comments here about seal skin regarding durability; I've just never found a pair that fit me. BTW- the last pair I bought from ALC in Dec 2014 look similar to the one pictured above, except they have the much heavier lugged sole. I paid USD$54 for them, and I'm wearing them today.

Yes- when kudu hides are in short supply, Herbert uses cowhide leather. There will be a cloth tag sewn into the boot indicating "Kudu Leder"; if not, they're cowhide. I have seen other boots in Swakop made of seal skin, can't say I've noticed any seal skin boots in African Leather Creations store. A German guy up in the shopping promenade between Tobias Hainyeko and Hendrik Witbooi streets sells the seal skin boots in various styles. I found the sizes to be inconsistent, and the fit to be awkward. I've seen some good comments here about seal skin regarding durability; I've just never found a pair that fit me. BTW- the last pair I bought from ALC in Dec 2014 look similar to the one pictured above, except they have the much heavier lugged sole. I paid USD$54 for them, and I'm wearing them today.

Sounds like good value for the money.

Thanks for the info, its really a rich colour, and not a bad price.

I never expected you guys would hunt in heavy duty house slippers. They look nice, but I'm surprised......

This is what I use, to hot for Africa I'm sure. Hanwag trappers.

a.jpg

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 327
I never expected you guys would hunt in heavy duty house slippers. They look nice, but I'm surprised......

This is what I use, to hot for Africa I'm sure. Hanwag trappers.

a.jpg

Cool boots, from what I can tell; veldskoen slippers like moccasins are a more general all-purpose shoe/slipper, people wear them at home, in town, in the bush, I suppose if you gave the swakop vellie red speed up laces, it would take it out of the slipper category, I don't know, what do you think?

I think ..... when in Africa do as the Africans do. What ever works.

I think ..... when in Africa do as the Africans do. What ever works.

My PH and myself were the only two wearing any kind of boots on my hunt last may. The trackers were wearing what I would call oxfords or just regular shoes.

My PH and myself were the only two wearing any kind of boots on my hunt last may. The trackers were wearing what I would call oxfords or just regular shoes.

would not catch me wearing oxfords hunting in Africa.

I hear, you guys have thorns that can pierce 1/2 inch plate steel. :whistle:

I have been too spoiled by the over-engineered American/European hunting boots to like the flimsy materials and marginal construction of the traditional African boots. I own a pair of Courtney boots, and although they look nice and give me the right to brag that I am wearing antelope hide, the materials/stitching/construction is sub-par to anything made by Kenetrek, Lowa, or Schnee's. The traditional Africa boots have almost no ankle support, horrible insoles, very little breathability, and are not really waterproof.

My new Schnee's Bridgers are breathable, waterproof, comfortable, Vibram soles, triple stitching on the whole boot, and offer excellent ankle support. They are also lighter and less expensive than my Courtney Boots, and required almost no break-in.

I think many of the Chinese made hunting boots like those from UnderArmor, Cabelas, Rocky, and Danner are better than many of the expensive African boots.

Last edited:
Studio_20160122_211510.jpg

Anyone remember "wallabies" from the 70's? They had that soft, unsupported upper and a semi-clear gum-sole? I used to have to get one pair of those each year when I was growing up for school.

Fast forward 40 years...I keep thinking just how PERFECT Those things would be for short range stalking.

PS: I used Merrell Ridgeline light hikers with SOLE Insoles. They worked great and I'd do it again. I have VERY sensitive feet (high arches, thin skin) and getting a fit that won't blister me into oblivion is a constant challenge.

Hi rnovi, I remembered them and bought a pair, twice. Seems since my youth I needed a different size, thus pair # two. #2 - not that comfortable. Flat insole on 2" of sole, just isn't the same for me. I think the sneaker revolution really changed my expectations of what I want in a shoe comfort wise. Squishy insoles with good arch support seem best for me.

The Courtney vellies are the best and they are made in superior leathers like Cape buffalo, Impala and others.

They are also reasonable on the pocketbook. The $300 Courtney selous boots are their super flagship product, not their farmer vellies that can be had for 1/3 the price or less.

The Courtney vellies are the best and they are made in superior leathers like Cape buffalo, Impala and others.

They are also reasonable on the pocketbook. The $300 Courtney selous boots are their super flagship product, not their farmer vellies that can be had for 1/3 the price or less.

Rookhawk- I have a pair of the Selous I purchased nearly ten yrs ago... and took me about a year to break them in, but once I did, they fit like they're made for my foot...if you go on the Courteney web site, click the "Lifestyle" link, and you'll see a pic of me wearing mine outside of Luderitz...still like the ones from Swakop, as they're lighter, but you're right- for durability, Courteney is the way to go...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you