Hunting advocate: Safaris are essential to wildlife conservation and local economy

AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
New York Daily News Article: http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/...ntial-wildlife-conservation-article-1.2314158

BY JOHN J. JACKSON III

Tourist safari hunting is one of the founding supporters of wildlife and wild Africa today.

Wildlife today does not exist by accident or without real management effort. The hunting is a purposefully designed conservation strategy formed by experts to conserve game and habitat and benefit the local people who ultimately determine the survival of the habitat and game.

Hunting areas are far larger than other protected areas. Eliminate the hunting and you eliminate crucial wildlife habitat, particularly lion habitat and lion prey (essential food) — hence most lions.

The hunts are expensive because the hunting is used to fund most of the operating budgets of the wildlife departments and conservation infrastructure. That includes the funding of most anti-poaching. The law enforcement funding pays for community game guards, hunting operator anti-poaching teams and the rangers of the wildlife departments — all three.

UNITED AIRLINES ISSUES REMINDER THAT IT BANS SHIPMENT OF CERTAIN HUNTING TROPHIES

The hunting is a purposefully designed conservation strategy.

The hunting is also a key part of the strategy to incentivize the local people. They share the fees through various intentional mechanisms.

It would be catastrophic to eliminate most essential habitat, prey, operating budget funding and the incentives of the local people to tolerate large and dangerous beasts.

I worked in one place in Tanzania a few years ago where 100 people were killed by lions in a 12-month span. Most lions would cease to exist without these essential services and incentives.

Whether or not a non-hunter understands the special relationship that exists between a hunter and the species pursued, it's a fact that hunters and their organizations contribute the most. Tourist safari hunters are the conservation shepherds regardless of the aberrant, unlawful acts of any one individual.

ZIMBABWE BANS LION HUNTING

Indeed, responsible hunters support a full investigation of the circumstances surrounding the recent death of Cecil the lion in Zimbabwe.

But it's too soon to vilify Minnesota dentist Walter Palmer or Pittsburgh doctor Jan Seski. The Zimbabwe National Parks and Wildlife Management Authority must first gather evidence related to their cases and determine whether anyone intentionally killed wildlife illegally.

Overall, lawful hunting provides more than a net benefit — it is both necessary and essential. There is no alternative if the wildlife and wild places are to continue.

All combined, there still is not enough support from hunting, photo tourism or anything else.

hunter5n-1-web.jpg

John J. Jackson III is a wildlife attorney and sport hunting advocate. He is a past president of Safari Club International and is the chairman of Conservation Force.

PENNSYLVANIA DOCTOR KILLED LION IN ZIMBABWE IN APRIL

Meanwhile, America's most successful business, civic and professional leaders go on hunting safaris in Africa. There is nothing like it in all the world.

The American safari hunting market is the largest, particularly in Southern and Eastern Africa, where wildlife is doing the best.

Americans should be known for their high conservation ethic as well as democracy. The "user pay" North American Model is renowned to those informed about wildlife management. It works and has been extremely beneficial where put to work in Africa.

John J. Jackson III is a wildlife attorney and sport hunting advocate. He is a past president of Safari Club International and is the chairman of Conservation Force.

We need articles like this.

I hope he keeps writing such articles and finds publications willing to print them!

I hope he keeps writing such articles and finds publications willing to print them!
I can't believe the New York daily news published it.

Daily News not as PC or as progressive as the New York Times!

Salute to John!! I have been in contact with John a lot in the recent weeks, he's a person who is truly passionate about conservation. He is always willing to help out and listen to problems. I sent him my 2014 annual report, this is something we have to do at end of every season in Mozambique, all data and info are in these reports. This is the type of data he needs, facts about what we actually do on the ground. Without reports like these, he can't fight for us.

Daily News not as PC or as progressive as the New York Times!
That's for sure Charlie. I'm living in the wrong state!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you