Howa rifles

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by F.L.A.S.H, Jan 8, 2011.

1. F.L.A.S.H

F.L.A.S.H AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    Hi all

I was just wondering if any of you have had experience with the Howa rifles, and would you share your thoughts, i am looking at maybe getting one in ether 308 or 338.

It would be nice if i could get some info from the guys hear in SA as i cant rally find much info about it in South Africa

Thanx
    F.L.A.S.H

2. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    I think either of your rifle choices is good. A Howa rifle is a good rifle. Good Luck finding one in SA...I've seen the sporting good stores....it's a darn shame you guys don't have more choices over there.

3. steve.pitts

steve.pitts AH Member

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    U.S., Czech Republic, Eastern Cape
    I have used one once and that was on my plains game hunt in the Eastern Cape. I hired it from my PH. It was chambered in 300WinMag and was a tack driver. For the price of them I don't think you can go wrong.

4. JamieD

JamieD AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    life member NAHC NRA
    Hunted:
    US, RSA, ZIM
    I and friends of mine have quite a few Howa, Mossberg or Smith & Wesson, I think they were sold under other names as well but they escape me. They all were model 1500 as I recall. Most of the ones that I can remember were in varmint cal. and shot very well. I think we had a safety issue on one but the trigger was Very! light.

When asked my opinion on a good gun for the money I tell people a Tika T-3 or a Howa.

5. Code4

Code4 AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, Zimbabwe, RSA, NZ, UK.
    Nothing wrong with the Howa as a push feed. The trigger can do with some work. I'd buy one and in .308 would be a good choice.

6. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    +1 on the Tikka if you can't get your hands on the Howa.

7. sussens

sussens New Member

Member of:
    sci , Phasa
    Hunted:
    Spain , USA, and most African countries South of Equator
    I have two howa rifles and it is good value for money I find them accurate and have had no problem with them.The 300 win mag has had about 1000 plus rounds through it already and is just as accurate as it was in the beginning .
    I use it a lot for mountain hunting where the shots can be up to 400m and also culling on our two game reserves .
    When I compare it with other brands it is just as good as the more expensive ones that I have in acuracy .I have a total of 14 guns from 22 up till 458 lott .And the howa 300 win mag is one of my favorite rifles for distance shooting .
    Regards
    Chris Sussens Tshukudu Safaris

8. Ray Atkinson

Ray Atkinson AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI Dallas
    Hunted:
    RSA, Botswana, CAR, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique, Kenya way back when, and a few others that I can't remember.
    Guess I'm the bad guy..I would avoid them like the plague but I only use Mausers and pre 64 model 70s..not a snob just an old timer that never knew better and see no reason to change now! :) :)

9. marshy

marshy AH Member

F.L.A.S.H. ,

Great review a few months back done by Koos Barnard in the Magnum magazine. Google them and check them out - lot's of options available, and any fire arm dealer can get hold of them. i know some models are now available with bull barrel , fluted barrels, stainless steel, etc. and lots of stock options available (you could also look to bring one in from the states? as they have lots of semi-inlet stocks available for the howa) also, a little birdie told me about the new magazines coming in - 5 - 10 round capacity, removable magazines...that's a win! also, they're available in the "new" 375 Ruger (i know it's now all THAT new, but it's still quite new to our shores).

If you want any details about them here in SA, feel free to ask!

ps. where abouts are you situated? :)

10. Hartzview Hunting Safaris

Hartzview Hunting Safaris SPONSOR AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, PHASA, DSC, NRA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe
    FLASH,

I have a HOWA .300 Win Mag but unfortunately could not shoot it yet as I am waiting for my license. From what I have heard it is not a bad rifle.

Best regards,

Jacques

11. trigger creep

trigger creep AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    USA
    My dad had a Weatherby Vanguard and they are made by Howa. It was chambered in .257 Weatherby mag and was a very good rifle. The only problem with the gun was the trigger, which took a little getting used too.

12. Storm howa.300wm

Storm howa.300wm New Member

I reside in the RSA and have managed to get my hands on a howa 1500 in .300 winmag early this year. I have put about 200 rounds through it already but been battling a bit to get good groupings iv tried a number of factory loaded rounds and an entire assortment of my own hand loads but still I can't group less than about 6 inches. If there are any other owners out there what will be able to help or offer suggestions it will be greatly appreciated.

I'm loading with s365 behind a 180gr sierra game king spbt with a winchester magnum primer in the rear
    And
    S365 with a 165gr barns sp also with a winmag primer

13. gillettehunter

gillettehunter AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Kyrgyzstan South Africa
    That is a rather large group. If you have a scope on the rifle pull it off and try it on another rifle that you know is accurate. That will let you know if the scope is bad or if its a problem with the rifle. If its the rifle next check all of the screws to be sure they are torqued properly. Everything should be tight! Next is to clean the rifle barrel. You want all of the copper out. Takes a little time, but get it clean. You might want to use a bore scope to check the inside of the barrel. See what it looks like. If it still doesn't shoot then its time to take it apart. See if the action has been bedded properly. See if you can see any obvious pinch points where it has been rubbing. If the channel that the barrel lies in is not clear you may wish to open it up. If you have a good gunsmith he may be able to figure it out quickly. This just gives you a few things to start with. You may wind up replacing the barrel..... Good luck. Bruce