Howa 6.5x55

martin may

Reaction score
Hi I am new at this
I have just purchased a Howa 6.5x55. Could you please advice with the reloading spec's for the use of 140gr with Norma brass. What make of bullet would you recommend as well.
Thanks.
Martin

If you use google and put in 6.5X55 reload data you will get a lot of pages that have great info to work with. I like to E-mail them to myself. Edit what I want and then print it. That then goes into my reload book for reference.
What kind of animals are wanting to hunt? That and type of terrain will determine bullet selection. The accubond will work rather well in that caliber. good luck. Bruce

If you email me at Dougs50cal@gmail.com I have a bunch of data from my Tikka T-3 Lite in 6.5X55. I shoot over my chrono and for accuracy at 100 yards using a bag under the forearm only and the buttstock in my shoulder. I shoot 5 round groups.

Put 6.5X55 in the subject line so I do not trash it.

Hi I am new at this
I have just purchased a Howa 6.5x55. Could you please advice with the reloading spec's for the use of 140gr with Norma brass. What make of bullet would you recommend as well.
Thanks.
Martin

Hello martin may, and welcome to this forum,

Even though it began as a Military cartridge, (well over a hundred years ago?) it has by reputation, become one of the best hunting cartridges on earth for things like deer, black bear, wild boar and quite a few African species (within reason).

Low recoil and the fact that most rifles made for it have been accurate, plus with 140 gr bullets, it shoots plenty flat enough for longer shots if needed.

Many of today's 6.5 bullets are generally of higher quality (tougher) than yesterday's bullets were and so, not as much meat is lost to shattered bullets today / penetration is better than it used to be, generally speaking.

All these things make it a very good choice.

My wife is a Lawyer and so, I almost never share my pet hand loads with people but, my 20" barreled CZ Model 550 full stock carbine is very accurate with 160 grain Hornady RNSP at about 2300 fps.

So far, I have not hunted animals with it yet, but it does kill paper targets and aluminum cans impressively.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

If you use google and put in 6.5X55 reload data you will get a lot of pages that have great info to work with. I like to E-mail them to myself. Edit what I want and then print it. That then goes into my reload book for reference.
What kind of animals are wanting to hunt? That and type of terrain will determine bullet selection. The accubond will work rather well in that caliber. good luck. Bruce
Thanks Bruce
Thanks for the info, I will put it to good use. I just scanned through some info and will be able to get my self started.

Hello martin may, and welcome to this forum,

Even though it began as a Military cartridge, (well over a hundred years ago?) it has by reputation, become one of the best hunting cartridges on earth for things like deer, black bear, wild boar and quite a few African species (within reason).

Low recoil and the fact that most rifles made for it have been accurate, plus with 140 gr bullets, it shoots plenty flat enough for longer shots if needed.

Many of today's 6.5 bullets are generally of higher quality (tougher) than yesterday's bullets were and so, not as much meat is lost to shattered bullets today / penetration is better than it used to be, generally speaking.

All these things make it a very good choice.

My wife is a Lawyer and so, I almost never share my pet hand loads with people but, my 20" barreled CZ Model 550 full stock carbine is very accurate with 160 grain Hornady RNSP at about 2300 fps.

So far, I have not hunted animals with it yet, but it does kill paper targets and aluminum cans impressively.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.
Thanks Veldo Dog
Thanks for making me feel welcome, I am just excited to have found this site knowing there is help out there and not all alone.

Thanks Bruce
Thanks for the info, I will put it to good use. I just scanned through some info and will be able to get my self started.
Would be using it for bush as well as long range hunting in South Africa

I have a 6.5X47 that I have been working up load info on. I also have a 6.5-06 that I have used to take several animals. I'd probably suggest the 140 gr accubond as a good starting point. 120 gr TTSX is another good bullet. I've been also using the berger 140 gr. It has a very high BC and so shoots very flat for long range. Its a little bit on the fragile/frangible side for closer shots.... I did kill a large cow elk with the 140 gr berger last year so they will do the job. Hope this helps as well as the goggle search. Welcome to AH. Bruce

Martin,

Welcome to the forums, I have done a bit of reloading for the 6.5 and it s a great cartridge to load and shoot. I would definitely recommend you get a good quality loading manual and use loads there, rather than what the "experts" on the internet say.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois