Dox

AH veteran
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hi

I would like to know how to measure black wildebeest for Rowland Ward.I have already seen it on the Rowland Ward web but don't understand how to measure it well.Replies would really be appreciated.

Thanks
Dox

Hi Dox,

I checked the Rowland Ward web and tried to figure out how they measure black wildebeest and this is what i understood(though it proved to be a bit complicated at first);Line HG stands for the widest part of the boss.Curved line EF stands for the length of the curved horns (this is the actual measurement that has to be done).

The lines AB and BC form a 90 degree angle.Line BD bisects the right angle in the middle.I think these lines (AB,BC,BD) try to show the correct point on which the curved line EF has to start.

The actual measurments are the width of the boss and the length of the horns(Both of which are shown by dotted lines).

Regards,Mubarak.

Rowland Ward Method of Measurement

Method 13 / Black Wildebeest (White-tailed Gnu)
1028d1254758455-how-measure-black-wildebeest-black-wildebeest-rw-m13.jpg

Attachments

• black-wildebeest-rw-m13.jpg
    black-wildebeest-rw-m13.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 2,587
Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot about the line IF,which measures the distance between the tips of the horns,though i'm not sure if this(distance between horn tips) is considered during the measurements.

Rowland Ward Record Book

Rowland Ward Record Book for White-Tailed Gnu / Black Wildebeest

Minimum 22 7/8 inches

Record 29 3/8 inches

My dad shot a 26 and half inch black wildebeest but a Rowland Ward measurer said that it is 25".
I am not happy about this.

Dox,

Is it possible that your father measured his trophy shortly after the kill and that the Rowland Ward measurer measured it a few months later? This is possibly where the discrepancy in the measurement comes from.

The Rowland Ward guidelines stipulate that from time of kill, there is a 30 day waiting or drying period before measurement is to be taken (no maximum period).

Do you have a picture of the Black Wildebeest to show us?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.