How To Decide Which 1ST Time Outfitter?

I think as Jacques said you should be able to click with the guy and he must awnser your questions straight. It is human to have a gut feeling about a person, and usualy your first feeling are the one you should listern to! If for some reason you think a guy is feeding you BS then you are propably right about that. Good luck with your planning and enjoy Africa when you come

I think as Jacques said you should be able to click with the guy and he must awnser your questions straight. It is human to have a gut feeling about a person, and usualy your first feeling are the one you should listern to! If for some reason you think a guy is feeding you BS then you are propably right about that. Good luck with your planning and enjoy Africa when you come

Gut feelings don't replace due diligence but they do provide a basis for further or less investigation.

I just attended a hunting show and when I review the experience I have to say that I did have a gut feeling with some outfitters.
With one I felt like I was being told what I wanted to hear. Not a good feeling.

With another outfitter I inquired about how he was doing, as he looked tired. He replied with flat out honesty: "the flight over was just SH*T!".
No other way to describe 46 hours on a plane and in airports.
I instantly liked the guy.

It is a fine line as our honesty might make us unpopular at times but then again if you can always count on an honest and straight answer there is nothing to hide!!!! and it should be a good indicator of the way he runs his operation as well..

Very true.
My best always.

All good advice guys...
Just to be clear, this is not my first rodeo. However, I do agonize over this question every trip I take, especially to a new country. So many seemingly excellent choices.

I started this thread thinking it might help 1st timers greatly - and I think it has.

All good advice guys...
Just to be clear, this is not my first rodeo. However, I do agonize over this question every trip I take, especially to a new country. So many seemingly excellent choices.

I started this thread thinking it might help 1st timers greatly - and I think it has.
agreed. I want to start doing some hunts regularly in North America. Hunted whitetails all my life in Mississippi, but never anywhere else. Want to do many big game hunts out West and Canada/Alaska. But, an old friend has been on many Western hunts with mostly bad, some very bad, experiences. This has me gun shy, but will do my homework as much as possible. Every hunt I look at, though, I think my son and I both hunted for that same price as just me hunting here. That's why my wife and I are trying to arrange ourselves to go in 2014 back to Africa, even though she encouraged me to book a moose or bear or elk hunt this year.

agreed. I want to start doing some hunts regularly in North America. Hunted whitetails all my life in Mississippi, but never anywhere else. Want to do many big game hunts out West and Canada/Alaska. But, an old friend has been on many Western hunts with mostly bad, some very bad, experiences. This has me gun shy, but will do my homework as much as possible. Every hunt I look at, though, I think my son and I both hunted for that same price as just me hunting here. That's why my wife and I are trying to arrange ourselves to go in 2014 back to Africa, even though she encouraged me to book a moose or bear or elk hunt this year.

Good points here - unfortunately I think there is a much bigger problem finding a good trip in the US. Lots of fly-by-night operators here. Many states have no requirement for licensing as a guide - anyone who can place an ad becomes a "Guide". I've heard stories ranging from no-shows after taking money to hunting illegally on state/federal/private land. To top it off, the offenders only need to change the name to keep right on going.
Africa I've found is much simpler - illegal or shady characters do not last long in the safari business.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephaineT

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!