How involved do you want to be in your safari?

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by Diamondhitch, Feb 17, 2012.

1. zenbear

zenbear AH Veteran

Member of:
    Touched by the hand of God
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA , Canada
    Hi All,
    I am a bow hunter so I think the hunter - PH relationship is a bit more interactive. Having said that I do think it is important to communicate your desires before you are out and about.Remember it is your vacation so be upfront and have the experience you are paying for. In my case I like to work with the ph. Let him do my range work talk about animal position. All advice is welcome. Anything that helps with a good clean kill is a posative for me.

-Jerry

2. Ole Bally

Ole Bally AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe
    I agree with much of what you say!
    Here's the rub!
    Most clients come with a 'bucket list' of critters he wants. Lots of animals in a couple of days!
    Most clients are pressed for time these days....days gone bye, you could only hunt Elephant on a 21 day safari! Buffalo was a 14 day safari etc. You did spend most of those 21 days looking for the right tusker....not now, most hunts are like a a 'wham bam thank you ma'am' deal...the romance is going if not gone!
    Unless the PH is also the 'outfitter' he's under pressure to 'perform' by his employer...the employer has a number of animals to be harvested on each hunt and wants the animals taken...I'm trying to convey the pressures some PH's are under.
    99% of PH's also don't enjoy seeing game wounded nor like the arduous tracking of a badly placed shot. So he tries to the best of his ability to 'facilitate' for the client...the best trophy, the best shooting position and hopefully the best kill.
    I have had clients come and tell me the long stories of his 20 Elephant last year...blah blah blah...then screw up a brain shot at 15 meters!
    The point is...if the PH doesn't know you..he will treat you like a novice until you prove otherwise...an quite rightly so! The onus is on you then to show him you do know what you're doing! Communication is key!

3. DOC-404

DOC-404 AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Angola, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Poachers.
    ..couldn't agree with you more..especially when it involves a DG hunt or follow-up..!

4. Jaco Strauss

Jaco Strauss AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, PHASA, IPHA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Tanzania
    By just reading through the above I believe that it was a broadspectrum description given to an individual who had never hunted Africa.... or I would rather assume so, this I pick up from the systematic way that the text has been written.....

IMO hunting is a team effort, trackers, PH"S and clients are constantly involved in the entire process,

while both tracker and PH have extreme knowledge of the terrain and compisition of land as far as hills, gullies, rivines and various vantage point are concerned on especially large or wild tracks of land, I do understand that some clients could feel left out in the entire process at some point especially when the you and your tracker are liasing in Sotho, Afrikaans or giberish as it is often interpreted, this is why I feel it is of cardinal importance to relay such info right there and then to the client.

Every one needs to be able to put their 2cent on the table, al be it in some cases just a conversation and not practical any and every client must and should at least get the opportunity to do so.

Team work is the name of the game in tough terrain and this often concludes in success.

My very best always.

5. Jaco Strauss

Jaco Strauss AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, PHASA, IPHA
    Hunted:
    Welcome back Uncle Bally missed you, could not agree with you more, As far as the infront goes it is just not practical Norweiganwoods sorry but I have to respectfully disagree I do understand what you are trying to get at but once again as everyone has said communication key.

My best always.

6. Norwegianwoods

Norwegianwoods SILVER SUPPORTER AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Norway, Sweden, England, South Africa
    I understand why a PH would not like to have the client in front, specially on a DG hunt as he most likely doesn't trust the client enough to do that.

I also understand that many PHs can be under pressure from the outfitter and client to get enough animals to the skinning shed.

But I seriously think that if I as a client shall at all times be 2 steps behind the PH and follow all his decisions, I am not hunting, I am shooting.

I am spending my money on going to Africa to hunt, not to do some shooting to fill my house with trophies.

And this is the main reason for why I most likely will never spend my money on a DG hunt.

7. Jaco Strauss

Jaco Strauss AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, PHASA, IPHA
    Hunted:
    Communication is key, hunting is a team effort, I think these have already been covered. By following a framework as simple as this any professional hunter worth his salt will have you hunting just as hard as a dedicated Leopard.

My best always.

8. DOC-404

DOC-404 AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Angola, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Poachers.
    I am actually sorry to hear this, because with the right outfit and the right Pro Hunter, with a good understanding between yourself and your PH, a DG hunt could be an experience you would always treasure.

9. spike.t

spike.t GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe, hungary, france, england
    for sure