How important is moon phase?

Better do some spot and stalk instead of sitting in a blind being bored all day then:)

Norweigeanwoods, he he :D Not saying the hunt will be a bust you'll hunt for sure and get some good trophies but it's just not ideal, or rather the best time movement is just way less in Africa for sure, I have very little to NO knowledge on North American game and can't tell the guys, due to my limited knowledge, what they do, or how they react, for that I take advice.

My best as always

:banghead:Docman my most sincere appologies....

I'm going with every word Jaco has said. I stupidly booked a 14 day hunt which centered a full moon. That was the worse trip I've ever made to Africa, as far as seeing game was concerned. Yes, what little activity we did see came mid-day. As a bowhunter, I will never repeat that mistake again. I will be hunting buff on July 19th this year under a new moon.

The full moon will be smack in the middle of my 14 days stay with Marius, but I am not to worried as I have been planning to spot and stalk all the time anyway:)
I would go totally crazy if I should sit in a blind for 12 days of hunting. No matter how much game I would see while sitting in one.

I will very much be looking forward to your report from the buff hunt with a bow iamyourhuckleberry.

I would avoid hunting during the full moon, for a expensive hunt. If the property has a lot of hunting pressure the activity during the night increases more and more. A lot of us watch TV outdoor shows. but most us don't hunt properties like the ones you see on shows. North America... at least in the USA is hunted a lot harder than most places. Canada is lightly hunted compared to most of the USA....in general.

I definitely wouldn't book a cat hunt in Africa during a full moon.

Canada is lightly hunted compared to most of the USA....in general.

This certainly would explain why 2 Canadians posting on this thread had similar experiences that differ from everyone elses. It makes sense.

Gentlemen,Thanks a lot for taking the time to write your opinions and feedback.
That's why i love this site,So many experienced hunters and ph's eager to share their knowledge and experience.
Well, Already paid the deposit and that's the only dates available this year, so just going to go and have fun.
Like Norwegianwoods said,I think i'd be bored to death sitting in a blind for too many days in a row anyways, and the ph assures me the area is very good for stalking,so i'm going to get in as much stalking as i can,i'm sure if i get lucky enough to take a couple of animals on a stalk, it would be so much more rewarding..which brings me to the next questions...
well,i'll post them in another thread:)
Thanks again

Pack yourself a Gilli suit and one for yr PH too! You will find certain animals like Warthog easy to stalk and others like Kudu very difficult. Stalk sitting on yr butt with yr bow across yr lap and doing the 'bum scuffle'! You look less like a predator like that! Practice yr yardage estimation alot!!
Enjoy!

This is an interesting topic, with a few different views.

I can confidently say, as some of the other African Outfitters have mentioned in this thread, that in Africa bow hunting during the full moon definately decreases your chances. We have learned through experience that game is far more active during the night over the the full moon period and are far less active during the day, particularly apparent when hunting from blinds.

Trial cameras have proven this time and again. We always recommend that hunters book during the dark moon phase to get the best opportunities - more movement during the day equals more opportunity. I am not saying you won't have success during the full moon but your chances will be substantially less.

I would stay away from the full moon and book during the dark moon. Speaking from experience :D

Hello friends,
In my African experience of last year I followed the recommendations of hunters with more experience in Africa and the comments in this forum, we chose a date of hunting in Black Moon.
A group of our friends were on a date with full moon before us and obviously saw lots of less animals than us.
Detected that night they ate what not ate in the evening.
A total success choose dates in Black Moon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross