How big an animal would you take with this caliber?

lcq

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA CSSA
Hunted
Canada, RSA
Hi All,

I have developed a deer load for my 7mm mag using 110gr TTSX at 33oofps <0.5 MOA. How big an animal (africa) would you take with this combo given Barnes don't splatter on impact?

Thanks

zebra , kudu , sable , blue wb,
the projectile is a wee bit light , but going that fast , id go after most of the bigger antelope, especially doing 1/2 inch groups,
as long as the P.H and or the outfitter approved .......

zebra , kudu , sable , blue wb,
the projectile is a wee bit light , but going that fast , id go after most of the bigger antelope, especially doing 1/2 inch groups,
as long as the P.H and or the outfitter approved .......

good point about the PH. Actually many accept a 270 with a 130 moving much slower.

I was thinking of one bullet for a mix of Kudu, Impala and mountain reedbuck and wanted to only bring one gun, a light one because of the reedbuck

I rekon that will not only be a fun hunt ,but lethal on all your listed animals .
be a flat shooting set up
love mountain reed bucks , hope to hunt a couple of them again ,soon

Reactions: Ado
I rekon that will not only be a fun hunt ,but lethal on all your listed animals .
be a flat shooting set up
love mountain reed bucks , hope to hunt a couple of them again ,soon
Be a first for me. I have 9 months to whip my lazy 60 year old ass into shape. Hardest part is cutting back on beer ;)

you'll glass many before you see the one , where are going to go ?

Reactions: lcq
you'll glass many before you see the one , where are going to go ?

Not sure yet but likely back to the EC if I'm hunting Reedbuck. Any suggestions appreciated, unlike my wife I listen to advice ;)

I use the 7mm 150 grain TTSX in both my 7Mag and 280AI, Run close 3200 FPS rather use the heavy bullet as I used the 280AI (7mm) to take everything from Klipspringer to Kudu in SA using 150 TTSX one shot nothing moved after hit. Most PH do not want you taking over 300 yards shots so why give up the energy for 100Fps. Plus these animals are tough and like the bush hate to see light bullet hit branch and you watch him run off wounded, think of it like watching $100.00 bills disappear into the bush lol Have great hunt

last year at roy wormalds place chikerro,near craddock , we seen plenty of good ones ,I rekon we glassed 65 or more over a couple of mornings
it was a great place to be , and most excellent company ,too.
I think anywhere in the east cape you will find lots of good ones ...

176.JPG

Mountain Reedbuck in Free States with Spiral Horn Safaris, the 150TTSX stoned him at little over 400 yards but I hunted with Louis before so he was cool with me taking the shot.

10494756_10201494872292081_676794429381525409_n.jpg

Attachments

• 10494756_10201494872292081_676794429381525409_n.jpg
    10494756_10201494872292081_676794429381525409_n.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 121
I use the 7mm 150 grain TTSX in both my 7Mag and 280AI, Run close 3200 FPS rather use the heavy bullet as I used the 280AI (7mm) to take everything from Klipspringer to Kudu in SA using 150 TTSX one shot nothing moved after hit. Most PH do not want you taking over 300 yards shots so why give up the energy for 100Fps. Plus these animals are tough and like the bush hate to see light bullet hit branch and you watch him run off wounded, think of it like watching $100.00 bills disappear into the bush lol Have great hunt

I have to agree with Huntingbigun; When it comes to hunting, I want as big a blood trail (if the critter doesn't go right down) as I can get, and I prefer TWO holes spurting blood over one.....I want a bullet that will go in, expend it's energy, and pass through......two lungs that are out of commission and not oxygenating (but leaking) blood are better than one. I think you would hate yourself if you tried to take a larger critter such as wildebeest or zebra with this load and lost it......hell, people loose those critters to good hits with heavier, larger bullets.........why take a chance?
Also, don't forget that if your shooting lighter bullets at longer ranges, the wind will have more of an effect on the bullet.......maybe causing a miss or (worse) a gut shot animal.

Again..............why take a chance when paying so much for a safari?o_O

But to answer your question: I don't think I would take anything bigger than a impala/reedbuck/baboon with such a load..............but that's just MHO.

last year at roy wormalds place chikerro,near craddock , we seen plenty of good ones ,I rekon we glassed 65 or more over a couple of mornings
it was a great place to be , and most excellent company ,too.
I think anywhere in the east cape you will find lots of good ones ...

View attachment 45672
Thanks Bluey I'll check it out

I have to agree with Huntingbigun; When it comes to hunting, I want as big a blood trail (if the critter doesn't go right down) as I can get, and I prefer TWO holes spurting blood over one.....I want a bullet that will go in, expend it's energy, and pass through......two lungs that are out of commission and not oxygenating (but leaking) blood are better than one. I think you would hate yourself if you tried to take a larger critter such as wildebeest or zebra with this load and lost it......hell, people loose those critters to good hits with heavier, larger bullets.........why take a chance?
Also, don't forget that if your shooting lighter bullets at longer ranges, the wind will have more of an effect on the bullet.......maybe causing a miss or (worse) a gut shot animal.

Again..............why take a chance when paying so much for a safari?o_O

But to answer your question: I don't think I would take anything bigger than a impala/reedbuck/baboon with such a load..............but that's just MHO.
I'm a big fan of 2 holes hence Barnes bullets or a-frames. Increasing the weight of the bullet will not increase the size of the hole. As for range I wouldn't take a shot over 300 yds from a field position because of the wind and lack of a true steady rest. Prone from a bipod almost never happens

I'm a big fan of 2 holes hence Barnes bullets or a-frames. Increasing the weight of the bullet will not increase the size of the hole.
Where did I say you would get a bigger hole by going with a heavier bullet? o_O I know it wouldn't increase the size of the hole, but you will get better penetration with a heavier bullet and thus get two holes for the price of one! Lighter bullets tend to shed their energy more quickly (and thus slow down), esp. at higher velocities.....that's why "the experts" say not to use light varmint bullets on deer sized game; they tend to "blow up" and not penetrate. I bet if you did some testing with those barnes on ballistic gel or wet newspaper, you might find that your not getting the penetration that you think your getting, even with a Barnes bullet.

..but hey, it's your wallet. Do what you want to do.

My son used 110 barnes out of his 257 bee and took a kudu and all his springbuck plus bushbuck no problem. For a 257 the 110 is a medium range bullet weight wise. I would use a heavier bullet myself out of a 7mm. i used 168 grain bear claw out of my 7mm bee and took oryx,impala,springbuck. If your not going to shoot pass 300 yds the heavier bullet should be a better choice I would think. I would look for a 140 to 150grain bullet to shoot out of that 7mm if it was me.

I would step up to at least the 140 grain TTSX bullet for a African hunt. While 1/2moa groups are nice at the target range that isn't hunting and you can increase your grouping quite a bit before you start to get into trouble.

A friend of mine that I hunted with this last May took all of his animals with a 7mm Rem Mag shooting 140 grain TTSX bullets with no problems except for his springbuck that he made 3 bad shots on before it was his. His gemsbok, kudu, 2 warthogs, and fallow deer didn't know the difference in bullet weight. They all went down to one shot.

In my 7mm mag I used 160 accubonds for animals up close and 168gr bergers for those further away. In my 7-08 I use the 110gr TTSX at 3000 fps on red deer and smaller.
I would personally use the 140gr TTSX or the 160gr TTSX and take advantage of the powder capacity of the 7mm mag. You should get the 140gr to 3200fps quite easily (with a 26" barrel).

looking at 140 grn hooting along at 2900 feet per second , and 110 whizzing in at 3300, theres only 45 foot lbs of k.e difference.....
of course I wouldn't be shooting through bush at any distance with either ,weighted projectile .
and that 300 metre shoot across the wind would be dicey for both aswell....
I believe if you stick the 110 s in the right spot you will definitely take the wind out of both lungs
and if you hit your kudu in the guts with either wiehgt ,will be tracking a hurting animal , just the same ......

same ethics as always , if there an element of doubt , don't squeeze the trigger ..........

of course I wouldn't be shooting through bush at any distance ...................

and that is the only issue I have with the load presented. Bush.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg