Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Dear HAN members,

Today with a cautionary note from one of our Executive members and Congress Chairlady, Janet Wilson-Moore, about a new and very tricky scam being targeted at the hotel industry at the moment, - so beware!

Subject: Hotel Scam - This is one I would have fallen for

Creativity wow This is one of the best scams I've heard about.

You arrive at your hotel and check in at the front desk. Typically when checking in, you give the front desk your credit card (for any charges to your room).

You go to your room and settle in. All is good.

The hotel receives a call and the caller asks for (as an example) room 620 - which happens to be your room.

The phone rings in your room. You answer and the person on the other end says the following: 'This is the front desk. When checking in, we came across a problem with your charge card information. Please re-read me your credit card numbers and verify the last 3 digits numbers at the reverse side of your charge card.'

Not thinking anything wrong, since the call seems to come from the front desk you oblige. But actually, it is a scam by someone calling from outside the hotel. They have asked for a random room number, then ask you for your credit card and address information. They sound so professional, that you think you are talking to the front desk.

If you ever encounter this scenario on your travels, tell the caller that you will be down to the front desk to clear up any problems. Then, go to the front desk or call directly and ask if there was a problem. If there was none, inform the manager of the hotel that someone tried to scam you of your credit card information, acting like a front desk employee.

This was sent by someone who has been duped........and is still cleaning up the mess.

ANYONE travelling should be aware of this one.

Have a great week ahead.

Yours in tourism,

Gitta
Hospitality Association of Namibia (HAN)

Source: Hospitality Association of Namibia (HAN)

Last edited:
Excellent advice.
Thank you for it.

Wow I probebly would have fallen for that one also. Thanks for the heads up!!

I would have fallen for this for sure. Thank you for sharing this.
Another reason why this site is such a good one.

Any idea if this is specific to Namibia?

From an Outfitters perspective, would be nice to know if they targeting specifics to try and avoid when referring accommodation options before/after the safari to clients.

that's one sucker punch , most of us would walk straight into ,
you've got your fingers on the pulse , Jerome thanks mate..

Jerome, This actually HAPPENED to us during last years DSC convention. We stayed at the Marriott and sure as hell the phone rang about 11 at night. Me being half asleep didnt put 2 and 2 together fast enough and we were victims of fraud. When we went to the front desk that night we were informed that 3 others had also been taken for a run. Its a real threat folks! Beware and be on your toes even at 2 in the morning...

Any idea if this is specific to Namibia?

I can confirm that this has just happened to me when I was travelling to Johannesburg to meet up with @Royal27 before his Chifuti hunt. The question was as Jerome said, asking for the last three digits. Luckily I paid via EFT and didn't use my CC on that trip - immediately smelling a rat. I eventually told the person I will sort it all out the next morning. Which off course never happened and front desk never needed anything extra on check out.

Thank you for posting this NAH.

Slick bastards aren't they Loodt? Glad you didn't fall for it.

Thank you for bringing this to everyone's attention!

Obviously this is not country specific and could be very hard to track down... These people could be anywhere in the World calling anywhere! Truly potential to be an international scam.

I was in a Wal Mart and the next guy behind me was almost on top of me when I pulled out my credit card...... I maneuvered away from him and finally told him to step back. As I was leaving, he suddenly could not pay for the couple bucks worth of stuff he had and left it and walked out as well.

I just bought one of those wallets that are credit card reader proof... Still have to be careful when you pull it out... Supposedly there is technology where they can read your credit card right through your pocket. I think the guy was trying to see the 3 digit security code.

One more thing to watch out for. Thanks J!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross