sandman0921

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI (Life), RMEF (Life), DU, NWTF, NRA (Patron Life), GOA, DSC (Life), WSF (Life), B&C Club (Sponsor Associate Member), USSA (Associate Member)
Hunted
USA (GA, TN, AR, TX, FL, UT, NM, WY, MT, AK, IL, MO, IA); Canada (NWT, BC); Africa (Tanzania)
Ooohhhh.....I wonder what it is........o_O

They have a target specific bullet that when you pull the trigger you don't even have to aim, it just goes to the animal and smacks them in the heart even if the animal is facing away from you. It is a lot like a smart missile only you don't even have to have a laser guidance system.

How neat would that be?

Hunting is getting to high tech.......
Next you can sit in your office and hunt from your I phone while having lunch......

bet they have "gone green" lol

When they say "everything has changed" I really hope they mean it...

Have a look at the kind of pullet performance we are getting from a Hornady vs a Peregrine (that we have moved to as a company): http://www.phsafaris.com/blog/bullet-performance

I will post some additional photos of the DSX bullets performance on large calibers.

The DGS is a fine bullet - but the DGX I would not touch with a bargepole...

image.jpg
image.jpg

DGX Hornady in 416 Ruger that went through this thick giraffe skin, shoulder bone and rib on the other side of the animal. Recovered just under the skin. Put a hole in the animals heart as big as a golf ball on the way through. Looks to me like it did what it was supposed to do.
I also have a dead Cape Buffalo taken with the same DGX ammo. Did it retain all it's weight....hell I don't know nor do I care. Did the petals open properly? I guess they did.....the animal fell over dead.
Do you get some bad bullets from time to time??? Why yes you do! Any brand does. There was another famous premium brand bullet that someone posted about on this site in the last month concerning failure in the field. I didn't see a lot of condemnation about.
I'm confident all brands of ammo have failures because you will never get 100% perfection/reliability. There is no testing that would prove 100% reliability without destruction of every round made.
I guess where Hornady is concerned I'm one of those guys who has never experienced failure that resulted in me not getting my trophy, so my next hunt will be with that ammo. In fact deer season opens at my club soon and my 45-70 will be loaded with Hornady.

When they say "everything has changed" I really hope they mean it...

Have a look at the kind of pullet performance we are getting from a Hornady vs a Peregrine (that we have moved to as a company): http://www.phsafaris.com/blog/bullet-performance

I will post some additional photos of the DSX bullets performance on large calibers.

The DGS is a fine bullet - but the DGX I would not touch with a bargepole...
I certainly hope you sent this to Hornady. I ve spoken to them and they swear there DGX line is outstanding. Just ask fellow member Gizmo!

Hi PHS and others,

I have had nothing but very good results from Hornady bullets, over my lifetime of hand-loading and hunting since age 16, including the DGX in Africa and, I will continue to use them at the tame / old fashioned velocities they are designed for.

However, I'm quick to say that the Swift A-Frame is superior in pretty much every way (except that due to the blunt shape, DGX / DGS bullets sometimes regulate well in double rifles and more streamline shaped A-Frames occasionally do not).
The A-Frame seems to work well at both tame old fashioned velocities and/or higher velocities of today, either one (or both at the same time almost IE: short range/long range from same rifle on same safari).

For the .470 NE the A-Frame is made in very blunt profile and I wish all A-Frame bullets were so shaped.
That being said, I see little reason to hand-load the DGX for any repeater or single shot, when the A-Frame is so readily available.
For using a double rifle after buffalo, I might use the DGX/DGS again but, only if tougher bullets I tried did not regulate well in my rifle.
And, I would not try to drive them very fast, even if by some miracle my rifle held regulation at high velocity (if a frog had wings).
Such was exactly the case when I was ramping up for my buffalo hunt a few years back.
The DGX/DGS shot noticeably smaller groups, barrel to barrel than even Woodleighs.
So, not realizing their potential issues, I shot a buffalo with them (among other animals) and he is shown in my Avatar.
Nobody else fired a shot, just me and my inadequate Hornady bullets firing a "one-two" into the bull, with the desired result as seen in said Avatar.

Be that as it may, I believe that the DGX could use a tougher nose section, for sure.
In my photos, there is a pic of recovered DGX bullets (from buffalo & zebra) which definitely illustrates this.
However, the fifty cent question is: "At what point during the animal's death did my bullet fail?"
On smaller species, they tend to exit with a golf ball size hole but in larger animals, evidently the nose smears off, leaving the straight shank, now with jagged front end, to cut its way through, like a drill bit (not unlike the Nosler Partition in my experiences).
Reportedly at higher velocity than I use the DGX, they are prone to shatter, thereby failing to penetrate - Tarzan no like.
Gizmo even had this happen with the "solid" version - the DGS, on a lioness (not what I think of as a heavy or stoutly constructed animal either one).
If their "solid" sometimes breaks up on a cat, even once in a blue moon, I would suggest Hornady run these two bullets through some very seriously exhaustive testing.
Or at least mark the boxes with a recommended velocity limit.

Far as I'm concerned, since the DGX is flat nosed ("meplat" shape), it is already half expanded / mushroomed, before you even fire it (this is a good thing) so, Hornady was simply foolish to thin the jacket up near the nose.
Leaving the jacket thick all the way up and likewise fusing or bonding it to the core would have made it a wonderful heavy game bullet but, what do I know - (some folks say I don't know very much).
Besides, then you'd have a bullet that Woodleigh already produces in many calibers, except that the Hornday shape is slightly more desirable - IMO but, underline the word slightly.

I will now stand by to be punished for my sacrilege.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Velo Dog I like the comment....about at which point during the death of the animal did the bullet fail?

Velo Dog I like the comment....about at which point during the death of the animal did the bullet fail?

I think I first read that in a Jack O'Connor story / Outdoor Life magazine when I was a wee lad (either that or I stole it from you in this forum amigo heh heh, but whether or not it was you, nonetheless it speaks volumes, no matter who I stole it from.)

about at which point during the death of the animal did the bullet fail?

im not a fan of that saying...

if i shoot an animal and the bullet explodes on impact causing the animal to die slowly over a couple days, is that still a fine bullet to use? or i shoot the animal quartering and the bullet comes apart on the shoulder and onley a little fragment makes it to the lungs leading to a 6 hour search for the dead animal. according to that saying both of these bullets are fine because the animal still died.

just because a bullet kills an animal doesnt mean it was the best bullet for the job (same goes for cartridge choices).

now i wont say Hornady bullets dont work as your own hunts are proof they do. but there are much better choices out there for dangerous game such as North Fork and Swift.

-matt

The one complaint I've had with the Hornady bullets at all (other than the SST in 300wm) was that using the factory loaded Hornady .375 Ruger 270gr SP had a tendency to separate but only after deep penetration and absolutely everything I shot with it was deader than a hammer with one shot except for my Zebra one of which tried to get up after the first shot through the shoulders and was hit with a very quick follow up (unnecessary upon examination) and the big stud.

He was hit with the first shot quartering hard away with the bullet entering around the last rib and passing through the cavity to the opposite shoulder. He ran maybe two hundred yards and was hit straight through both shoulders. He then stumbled forward a bit and died.

He was however a very big and heavily muscled animal so I can't complain at all. Even if I'd not given him the follow up shot looking at the wound track from the first shot he would have probably fallen dead within feet of where he ended up.

The other problem I had was that the 300DGX did not group well with the suppressor but groups excellently and has performed nicely for me without it.

I spoke with Hornady's development guys after I got back and suggested using the same bonding process they use with the Interbond because of the separations but, dead is dead and again, my animals shot with the SP were definitely dead.

im not a fan of that saying...

if i shoot an animal and the bullet explodes on impact causing the animal to die slowly over a couple days, is that still a fine bullet to use? or i shoot the animal quartering and the bullet comes apart on the shoulder and onley a little fragment makes it to the lungs leading to a 6 hour search for the dead animal. according to that saying both of these bullets are fine because the animal still died.

just because a bullet kills an animal doesnt mean it was the best bullet for the job (same goes for cartridge choices).

now i wont say Hornady bullets dont work as your own hunts are proof they do. but there are much better choices out there for dangerous game such as North Fork and Swift.

-matt
He's not talking about animals running off wounded to die hours or days later. He's talking about animals shot well that died appropriately so the lack of a nice exit wound or perfectly mushroomed bullet left inside was really irrelevant.

If im out guiding a client on a buffalo or say lion hunt i can not take a chance with a bullet that might work or might fail. I need constant results every time i pull that trigger.

I used to love the Hornady DGX for my .375 H&H as well as my .450 N.E but once i started removing bullets from animals i quickly realised that you can not put your life on them.

Im sure if you are the hunter that they will work just fine 90% of the time but as a PH i can not afford to play with my client or own life.

Ooohhhh.....I wonder what it is........o_O

Ahem....back on topic....

My guess is that Hornady will be putting out a premium bonded boat-tail bullet. Going even further out on a limb, I'll speculate that it might even have a red plastic tip.... Maybe it will make it into full-scale production and be available throughout the world.
I just hope the launch date is not 1 April....:whistle:

Ahem....back on topic....

My guess is that Hornady will be putting out a premium bonded boat-tail bullet. Going even further out on a limb, I'll speculate that it might even have a red plastic tip.... Maybe it will make it into full-scale production and be available throughout the world.
I just hope the launch date is not 1 April....:whistle:
That would be a good description of the Interbond. I've shot a ton of game with them and never had them let me down. Sadly they've been "temporarily suspended" so maybe it'll be a new and improved Interbond? I've always tough the one thing it needed was a crimp like the interloc to help cut off the expansion at a level retaining good length of the remainder.

If im out guiding a client on a buffalo or say lion hunt i can not take a chance with a bullet that might work or might fail. I need constant results every time i pull that trigger.

I used to love the Hornady DGX for my .375 H&H as well as my .450 N.E but once i started removing bullets from animals i quickly realised that you can not put your life on them.

Im sure if you are the hunter that they will work just fine 90% of the time but as a PH i can not afford to play with my client or own life.
What were you seeing when the bullets were recovered?

What were you seeing when the bullets were recovered?
The lead separates from the copper jacket almost every time and the thin copper jacket brakes up in the wound channel. so your weight retention is very poor, this is not good for penetration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WaylonTova

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!