Hornady Interbond Bullets DGX and DGS

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by daniel paydar, Jul 17, 2009.

1. daniel paydar

daniel paydar New Member

Member of:
    swedish hunters organisation
    hey
    what is your opinion about these bullets, Hornady Interbond DGX and DGS, for dangerous game hunting?
    best regards
    daniel
  2. daniel paydar

daniel paydar New Member

Member of:
    swedish hunters organisation
    i forgot to mention the caliber and weight, i was asking about 300 grain in 375 caliber;)
  3. Calhoun

Calhoun AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI N.E. Wisconsin Chapter - WisNRA
    ...Daniel I can't really say. I have shot the DSG bullets through my 375 but they didn't have the accuracy of my Nozler loads so I opted for the Nozler round! Even with that I can't truly answer your question as I have never shot any Dangerous game!
    ....But as far as shooting Hornaday bullets they were always my choice of bullets when I did shoot jacketed bullets in Hand gun or rifle competition & they never let me down!! I don't believe selecting either bullet would be a bad choice!!
  4. Skyline

Skyline AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI Life Member, MLOA, DU, MWF, MTA
    Daniel I can't help you either as I have yet to meet anyone who has used them on any big game.

I will probably never know first hand as I rarely stray from Barnes, Nosler and Swift.
  5. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    Hi Daniel, I have never shot them. But I'm a huge fan of Hornady and looking over there product literature and watching "Tracks Across Africa" were Craig Boddington puts them to use.....I believe it is a very fine bullet for hunting dangerous game. Hornady wouldn't be producing it, if it didn't work. And the price is very, very good too.
  6. Royal27

Royal27 BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA
    Hunted:
    USA - TX, CO, GA, Zim (soon), SA (after Zim!)

I'd love to hear some more recent opinions on this. I'm preparing for a Cape Buffalo hunt and currently have these bullets (factory load) included as an option. I can do the accuracy tests myself, but I've heard that Cape Buffalo are thicker skinned than paper targets... ;)
  7. Jaco Strauss

Jaco Strauss AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, PHASA, IPHA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Tanzania
    Daniel, to be honest, the Hornady (all of them) in my experience simply do not perform well on Buff... They all tend to over expand and core seperation is a very common occurrence.

On Lion and Leopard I rate them well as the do give a great wound channel in these softer skinned and light boned DG species.

A great cat round in my experience and pretty decent on PG.

My best always.
  8. sestoppelman

sestoppelman SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia, South Africa (2)
    Jaco didnt address the solid DGS bullet though. The solid should be fine. I used the older Hornady solid on two buff some years ago and both worked fine. No reason why the newer version should do less.
  9. poprivit

poprivit AH Member

My Photos:
    Well, I've taken two Cape Buffalo with HornadyDG series in my 458 Lott. One solid DGS hip-to-chest shot at a very long distance as he was departing, and the scond straight through the heart with the DGX at 15 yards. Results? As we speak, the DGX buf is looking over my shoulder from his place on the wall. The DGS animal went 40-50 yards and took a dirt nap. I'll definitely use the DGS on my 2014 Non-trophy elephant hunt. Accuracy? Better than my old eyes can see through the 'ol Leupold.
  10. Royal27

My Photos:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA
    Hunted:
    I'm glad to hear this, especially on the solids. Solids seem to be hard to get right now, and expensive, except for the DGS. I'm sure that will change over the next year, but I don't want to wait until the last minute either! I will use whatever shoots best between the DGS, Sledgehammer, and whatever other solid I can find. For the softpoint I'm leaning towards the Barnes TSX, or the Federal Bear Claw. Again, with whatever shoots best from my rifle.
  11. Jaco Strauss

Jaco Strauss AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, PHASA, IPHA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Tanzania
    Sest very true I did not but then again I prefer not to use solids on Buff especially not on a first shot, from a trophy hunters rifle, for the obvious reasons we all know.

As you correctly state the solid should be fine on Ele no doubt about that and would give awesome penetration on anything one takes a crack at....

My reasons for not recommending solids as primary buff round is wound channel... Putting a solid through the lungs extends the expiery dates due to the lack of tissue damage as well as much needed hydrostatic shock...

Hence my usual of Barnes trip shock which provides great CONTROLLED penetration as well as wound channel especially when connecting with some heavy bone.

The question I believe of wether a DGX (not the solid) is fine for Buff is very simple.... it could and does... but my question would be would one not rather use the absolute best round for the job or target quarry, than settling for something that works in ideal conditions?

Royal27 just noticed your choice and perfect would be my reply...

My very best always
  12. Royal27

My Photos:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA
    Hunted:
    Thanks Jaco!

I tend to over think things and it helps me when I seem to get multiple views that are in line with my thoughts.
  13. DaveA

DaveA New Member

I just got back from a hunt in Zimbabwe where a large group shot several buffalo and a lot of plains game with numerous calibers from 308 to 458. We had a few bullet failures of the Hornady DGX in both buffalo and smaller stuff. The solids worked fine. The PHs all commented that our experience was not at all unusual. I shoot lots of other Hornady stuff and really like it, but I will never again use DGX. I've ordered a bullet puller and I will reload with something else.
  14. Buff-Buster

Buff-Buster GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Houston Safari Club, Gulf Coast SCI, SCI International. Rowland Ward, NRA, RMEF, Nort American Hunting Club - Life Member, Texas Trophy Hunters
    Hunted:
    Mozambique, South Africa, (Kwa-Zulu Natal & East Cape), Zimbabwe (Charisa & West Nicholson), U.S.(Texas, New Mexico, LA, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Wyoming & Montana), Canada (Alberta) & Argentina (Cordoba)
    Dave,
    Try the Barnes....you'll never regret it. Super accurate, TSX/Banded Soilids - same impact point, super performance and deadly.
  15. LIBERTY

LIBERTY New Member

I killed 8 elk with Hornady interlocks and then on the ninth one the bullet blew up on the skin of the animal and never penetrated the skin at all. I have read of many others having the same problem. I now use Barnes TSX exclusively and I have enough of them to last my lifetime. By the way this is with a 30/06 180 gr bullet going right at 2700fps. When you consider the cost of the whole hunt bullets are cheap use the best and you won't regret it. Liberty