Hornady GMX

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by Jriley, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Jriley

Jriley AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NWTF, RMEF, SCI, NRA LIfe
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Canada, U.S.A.
    Has anyone used the Hornady GMX on game? Specifically the Superformance 165-grain GMX in .30-06 on African plains game.
  2. Frederik

Frederik AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    BASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique and Sweden
    Should be fine for all plainsgame they dont have amour plating shot placement is what counts know where the vitals are and learn it.
  3. Blue Skies Hunting Adventures

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, RMEF
    Hunted:
    Limpopo, Eastern Cape,Natal
    I used it this winter in my .270 on my deer hunt. It worked great, even took one deer at 330 yards and had a through and through.
  4. Jriley

Jriley AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Canada, U.S.A.
    Thanks for the replies. I'm going to Texas to hunt turkeys in April, and after my turkey is in the bag I can hunt hogs. I'm going to take my .30-06 as well as my turkey gun so I can test the GMX on the biggest hog I can find. If I shoot him right in the shield and the bullet exits I know it will do fine in Africa.
    I have a copy of the Perfect Shot and it helped me out a lot before my first safari.
  5. Pheroze

Pheroze BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Veteran

Member of:
    Woods and Water, OFAH, RMEF
    Hunted:
    Canada, USA
    I was wondering whether you used the Superformance GMX in Africa yet? I was posting a similar thread before seeing this one.
  6. Jriley

Jriley AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Canada, U.S.A.
    No I have not. I used Nosler Partitions in Africa and have decided to not fix what isn't broken.
    The Texas trip I referenced happened, but after getting my Rio with a shotgun I had fun killing varmints with a .22. I didn't even get to hogs after that.
    I still think that GMX bullets would work fine, but still haven't gone through my supply of NP's.
  7. Pheroze

Pheroze BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Veteran

Member of:
    Woods and Water, OFAH, RMEF
    Hunted:
    Canada, USA
    I am now debating between the NP and A-Frame for a standard load 180 gr in my 30-06. The idea is to get very comfortable with the round (deer, moose, hogs or whatever)and then use it on a PG hunt in Africa in the next few years. My concern with the NP was that the amount of weight they loose would reduce them for the larger PG animals. Did you have any concerns with what you did there?
  8. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    If I had a choice between NP and Swift A Frame, I would go with Swift A Frame every time. They seem to shoot accurate out of every gun I own and are great at putting game down fast. NP break up too much, expensive for the production they produce. They were great years ago, but bullet designs are better today.