Hornady Dangerous Game Ammunition

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by LRich, Jun 21, 2011.

1. LRich

LRich AH Member

I don't see much mention of the Hornady DGX and DGS ammunition being talked about when the topic of "which bullet to use." Is it because there are so many great bullet manufacturers now or that hunters just haven't tried them.

Would appreciate hearing from those of you with experience using these Hornady's. They are one of the very few companies loading for the 404 Jeffery.

2. James.Grage

James.Grage GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
    Hunted:
    USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe
    LRich

I used Hornady 450NE DSX and DGS last year...they worked great...

I rented the double rifle from the PH and went with 3 boxes 2 solids and 1 expanding...and left what i had over there...which was 2 and 1/2 boxes...ammo is difficult to get in the bush.

I tried the rifle out on a tree and the bullets bounced-ricocheted off the tree...hard tree and i was lucky i did not shoot anyone...so much for my practice...

shot 2 buffalo with the gun and the rest was history...i would use the hornady ammo again and plan to have a 404 jeff built next year..for my 2014 safari..

3. Lpart

Lpart AH Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA, NORTH AMERICAN HUNTING CLUB
    Hunted:
    I used the 300 grain DGX in a 375 Ruger on a buff last month. One shot was all I needed. Bullet didn't exit but it totally destroyed the heart and the lungs.