Hornady Bullets for Africa

I shoot a .300 win mag for all plains game and never used Hornady in Africa, I used Hornady here in the states for one season and the results were not good (I would never use their whitetail load it is junk) I used SST and had total disintegration and no pass through same with the interbond the only one that stayed together and had pass through was GMX , I don't know but maybe the heavier constructed bullets are of better quality, Hornady does alot of marketing on TV but not for me.

Me personally when money is on the line I use Nosler Accubonds and Barnes TTSX 180gr and up with no short supply and excellent quality bullets.

I used Hornady 300 gr. DGS in my 375 Ruger last year for follow up shots on cape buffalo. I hit him with 4 of them trying to hasten his demise, I only recovered 2 of them after traveling thru both shoulders and stopping under the hide. They both look pretty much like new with very little damage. I did not use the DGX because of complaints I read about from others that used them on previous hunts. I used a Woodleigh 300 gr. soft for my first shot, no complaints about that bullet either. I have been using nothing but Hornady 100 gr. Interlocks in my 25-06 for hunting deer and antelope in Wyoming for the past 10 years or so. I don't think that more then 1 or 2 of them ever required a second shot.

I would like to hear more comments regarding the performance of Hornady 375 H&H 300 grain DGX and DGS factory loads on cape buffalo and other dangerous game

Hello Lone Ranger,

I do not think I have ever read any negative reports here or elsewhere, regarding the DGS bullet for use against heavy African game.

Apparently, any lead core bullets, including the DGX have impact velocity limitations.
Driven too fast they sometimes fracture upon striking heavy bone, thereby failing to penetrate.
However, when used at yesterday's velocities, the DGX hits hard in my limited experience with same, compared to pointed bullets (no doubt due to the blunt/flat nosed shape).
My conversely extensive experience with other blunt shaped bullets has convinced me over the years that; blunt bullets hit harder and track straighter through flesh and bone.

I have noticed a pattern within this forum, IE: That people who are fond of mono-metal expanding bullets, (such as the Barnes X and TSX and TTSX) almost always speak of jacketed lead core bullets ("cup & core" as they often call them) as if it was a miracle from Heaven that any hunter in the history of smokeless powder and JSP bullets (well over 100 years now) ever managed to bag anything larger than a half starved rodent or a molting sparrow.

Yours truly will rip off another member here by saying that there is no perfect bullet for everything.
With that, please understand that just as soft bullets cannot be expected to hold together at too high of velocity impacts against heavy bone, the hard bullets such as Barnes and similar mono-metal bullets cannot be expected to expand at too low of velocity impacts against soft tissue.

If you are using a double rifle, it may turn out that it will regulate best with one specific bullet.
I had one like that and it happened to be the DGX for that specific rifle (.450 N02 NE SxS ) so, that is what I used on the buffalo shown in my avatar here.
I could not have been happier with the performance, plus one zebra with that load as well.
One buffalo and one zebra (all I have shot with the DGX so far) is not a proper test of any sort though.

Speaking of one shot tests:
One chap here PM'd to me some photos of a doe deer he shot with his .375 H&H and 300 gr DGX.
The extensive damage and ruined meat in said photos were not acceptable for sure.
He told me the bullet apparently "detonated" on impact and that the muzzle velocity was around 2350 fps.

I replied that I have always experienced the exact opposite with more than one brand of 300 gr bullet from the .375 H&H(270 grainers and Speer 235 gr as well by the way).
Myself and most of my friends have used the H&H version in Alaska, on soft game, including for blacktail deer on Kodiak and other Alaska islands, and now lately in Africa as well, quite an awful lot.
I mentioned that since I've only witnessed 100% the opposite performance from 300 grain .375 bullets on soft animals like deer and caribou that; I was quite surprised the 300 gr DGX with its steel jacket, would fly apart on a doe like that, especially at what is such quite remarkably low velocity (I don't believe that I have any reloading manuals that go below 2400 fps for any jacketed 300 grainers in .375 H&H).
He then replied that he reviewed his notes and the velocity was actually something like about 2450 fps after all (still quite low velocity compared to factory loaded ammunition with 300 grain bullets).

(Just to address the obvious elephant in the room, I'm definitely not suggesting he made anything up.)

So, there you have one person's opinion at least, that has experienced a failure from the DGX, on a thin bones/soft animal, specifically the caliber and specifically the weight bullet you asked about.

In closing ... If you plan to shoot a dangerous cat - lion or leopard - with the .375, your PH will more than likely ask you to use a relatively soft bullet.
However, for elephant, they will ask you to use solids and perhaps on hippo if your beast is on land.
For buffalo, the current trend seems to be for a very tough/premium soft on the first shot and all solids after that.
I know little to nothing about what PHs recommend for rhino but I would guess solids .. just an uneducated guess.

If I ever get to hunt buffalo again, I plan to use a large caliber Mauser and am in high hopes that Swift A-Frames will be accurate in whichever one I begin to settle on.
The PH I have hunted the most with swears by A-Frames, as do several other PHs I have had the pleasure of talking about bullets and such with, during my meager 4 safaris so far.

Stay safe / my best regards,
Velo Dog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrederickD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross