MATK1

Reaction score
Member of
QDMA D/U
HELLO EVERYONE
I AM NEW TO YOUR SITE MY NAME IS MATT
I AM HEADING TO ZIM THIS SEPT TO HUNT BUFFALO ELEPHANT AND LEOPARD
HAS ANY ONE USED HORNADY DGS OR DGX YET HOW DO THEY COMPARE
THEY ARE ABOUT $30 LESS A BOX THAN THE TBBC AND BARNS I AM TAKING SOFT AND SOILDS
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Hi Matt, and welcome to the AH forum!

Hornady DGS and DGX may be a fine bullet choice, I don't really know as I've never used either. However, it's not a wise thing to use '$30 per box savings' as a criteria for using any bullet/ammunition when you are considering going half way around the world for a big game hunt. Use whatever you determine to be the 'best' (whatever that may be) regardless of the cost. The cost of any bullet/ammunition is slight compared to the overall investment you will be making in that hunt.

Welcome to Ah MATK1! Sound advice from Big5 regarding your ammo question. You have a great hunt lined up... Who are you booked with in Zimbabwe?

Hello MATK1, I have used the DGX on buffalo and the DGS on elephant with great results. I will use them again when I next hunt dangerous game. Good luck on your safari.

Hello Matt !

Welcome to AH , friend you are planning a Safari in the best hunting grounds of the world , hunting the big 3 , just do not cost cut on the ammo the DANGEROUS GAME XPANDING (DGX) & DANGEROUS GAME SOLID (DGS) by Hornady are perfect for African Hunting xpanding for Buff , leopard and solids for elephant, use the best to take the trophies which many just dream of. Are you using .375 H&H Mag. ??? if so then the ballistic details of 300 grains DGS by HORNADY is depicted below :

Test Barrel (24") Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
Muzzle 100 200 300 400 500
2530/4263 2223/3292 1938/2503 1678/1875 1448/1396 1256/1050
Trajectory (inches)
Muzzle 100 200 300 400 500
1.50 2.80 0.00 -12.10 -36.70 -77.90

Features:
Copper clad steel-jacketed DGS and DGX bullets provide industry leading performance under all conditions!
DGS (Dangerous Game Solid) bullet features a blunt nose profile and a super tough alloy core to penetrate deeply through hide, muscle and bone.
DGX (Dangerous Game eXpanding) bullet expands up to 1.25 times the original diameter, and its tough alloy core resists deformation at all velocities

Hope this might help.

Monish

Welcome to Ah MATK1! Sound advice from Big5 regarding your ammo question. You have a great hunt lined up... Who are you booked with in Zimbabwe?

WE ARE HUNTING WITH CHUPUNGA SAFARIS IN THE NW CORNER BY LAKE KARIBA

WE ARE HUNTING WITH CHUPUNGA SAFIRIS IN THE NW CORNER BY LAHE KARIBE

I AM HUNTING WITH A 375 H&H REM 798 I AM HAVING A LITTLE PROBLEM WITH FAILSAFES AND THE BARNS TRIPPLE FEEDING THATS WY I WAS LOOKING AT THE HORNADAY

...Using the Hornaday bullets are a great choice! They compare & exceed many bullets on the market. If you place your shot correctly any premiun bullet will work & I myself certainly would look at the cost.
..Being a reloader & buying bullets in quanities of 50 - 100 bullets for a 375, 8 lb kegs of powder & regular brass, there certainly is something to say about a $30 savings on a box of shells.When you top a round with the Hornaday at 78 cents per bullet or a Nozler Partition at 79 cents or the Barnes at 83 cents. You definitely know that manufacturer is getting a heck of a reduction in price due to quanity.
.... You definitely can see highway robbery going on in the sporting goods stores. Any of those 3 bullets are damn well proven bullets & if you start talking $30 a box different with any of these bullets It's B.S.

THANKS FOR THE INFO THATS WHAT I THOUGHT I HAVE JUST ALWAYS SHOT THE BARNES X AND FAIL SAFE WITH GREAT RESULTS I WAS NOT TRYING TO GO CHEAP BUT WHEN YOU ARE SHOOTING 4-5 BOXES BEFORE YOU GO AND TAKING 4 IT ALL ADDS UP IM NOT IN PAYING FOR A NAME I JUST WHAT A PROVEN BULLET

Matt , what u think is perfect , a good trophy procured with a correct placed shot with a correct grainage of bullet .

Happy hunting BIG 3

Monish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cazhino90

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg