Honda outboards?

Mr. 16 gauge

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Not sure if this is the right place to put this.......but here goes.

My circa late 1970's Evinrude outboard is now starting to cost me more and more money each season.....it's currently in the shop (again), this time with a pull starter issue. In the past, its been with difficulty to start. I've taken it to several outboard motor repair shops (each one seems to be more expensive than the next) in an effort to get it so it is working more often than not, but I'm starting to wonder if the end is coming near....
I am also seeing more and more repair shops that won't work on outboards older than 1970 something, so I am betting that parts are getting scarcer and scarcer. I've thought about buying a used outboard, but all I'm currently finding are motors from the 50's/60's.....they look great, but I'm betting there are part issues.
I really don't want to go the 4 stroke route, but I'm thinking that's were I'm heading......I was at the local sporting goods store and saw a Honda outboard; it's a 5hp and is about the same size as my 9.9hp Evinrude. It's quite pricey...........but so are outboard repairs!

Anyone have any experience with Honda outboards, good or bad? Haven't really heard anything either way.....had a Sears (Force) outboard in the late 80's; it worked well for about 3 years and then started having all sorts of issues; again....nobody wanted to be bothered repairing them.

Anyway...........thanks in advance for any insight..

I have a brother in law who has a Honda 115 hp that he loves. Very quiet and smooth on the positive side. Negatives would be heavy and pricey. They are heavier than a two stroke because of the extra parts it takes, valves, lifters, even oil in the pan. I do think any of the major brands are really good these days. There are some areas that will not let you use an old stinky two stroke any more. I think they actually had a ban on running two strokes at all for a while in some parks, etc. However some of the new two stroke oil injected models are very clean on emissions as well and they may qualify. I think they have an EPA rating or something on them?

Other than weight and price you should do well with the Honda. But a 4 stroke does require service/oil changes.

I have a Yamaha 4 Stroke out board on my ski boat and a Yamaha 2 stroke outboard on my bass boat. My fishing jetski is a 2 stroke as well (Yamaha 1200). You know what they say here in RSA - John Deere for the farm, Yamaha for the water and Toyota for the road :)

4 stoke is not that easy to fix compared to a 2 stroke if you out and about which I have experienced too many times marlin fishing. However, here in RSA there is talks about banning 2 strokes due to pollution, however I think that's donkey years away.

Personally - 4 stroke based on performance and noise - if it's still under warranty. But a 2 stroke is awesome too from a maintenance perspective.

Not much advice, just experience.

Have had several on different boats from 5 to about 70HP and all were great. Much better than the ever-rudes and such they replaced.

Tons of Yammies here in Minnesota,,Quite a few Mercs also

Yes Honda 4-stroke outboards are defiantly the way to go IMO. I have lots of experience with them and do not have anything bad to say. I have a friend that runs 90 hp Hondas on his skiffs (3 of them) used for commercial fishing operation and he swears by them. The only thing to remember about 4 stroke engines (regardless of manufacture) is that they are heavier and take more Horse Power to accomplish the same thing as two stroke engines.

I too have a friend that swears by the Hondas. He did his research a couple of yrs ago and that is his top pick. Bruce

However, here in RSA there is talks about banning 2 strokes due to pollution, however I think that's donkey years away.
I think they should worry first about the smoke from the burning tires.. Especially the ones around people!

Not sure what a donkey year is but you have me curious. That is a cool thing about this international World Wide board, we get exposed to all kinds of new slang.

Not sure what a donkey year is but you have me curious. That is a cool thing about this international World Wide board, we get exposed to all kinds of new slang

Haha - Donkey years means very far away as a donkey is very slow :)

I bought a 2004 Carolina Skiff 220 Seachase with a 2004 Honda F150 back in 2010. The compression test done before purchase was still well above the low end of the tolerance. I've done the regular 100 hours maintenance, oil changes, etc. and its run great. Also, I'm running it in saltwater and just flush it out really well after each trip. Cruising speed is about 28 - 30 mph.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RXQLela937

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber