Hippo hunting what is ethical consensus?

rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
i have a question as I've not previously hunted hippo but will be doing so this summer.

It seems there is a large faction that says "in the water, shoot them with the most accurate small bore rifle you own". In my circle of friends I know two that killed them this way. .270s and 30-06 bullets to the brain.

But here comes the rub: A.) It isn't legal. B.) There is a government game scout present.

Is a small bore to the brain the most proven, ethical approach to hunting these animals in the water or is better to sling lead with a .375 or 500NE? (my other two options) I'll be bringing three guns with the 7x57 being the super accurate scoped single shot and the other two being DG rifles that are minute of pie plate accurate at best.

I generally am a law and order, follow the rules type of fellow but I'm now curious as it seems a great many generally good citizens are finding cause to shoot hippos with little guns. If its the best ethical kill setup for the hunt I could be persuaded to do it that way. Still wrestling with this conflict.

Last edited:
Use your .375, that is plenty, have fun!

I HAVE ONLY USED and will only use, MY 375 for hippo. I have also only shot them in the water, so accurate shooting is required, regardless of calibre...if you can shoot your 375 accurately to say 150m, then you will be spot on here. Enjoy and have a GREAT hunt!!

Where were these Hippo your friends hunted being taken with a smaller caliber?
In a Pond, Lake "Dam"?
(ie. a closed environment with little possibility of escape or danger to the public at large)

OR hunted in an open river system where there are people around who can be readily injured by a wounded Hippo or where the animal can be wounded and lost.

I can see someone taking a shot with a smaller caliber in a closed system. In an open river, not so much.

Some American fella said something about using enough gun.

When I get the chance it will be with a 416.

Stick to the law. If you use an "illegal" rifle, the hunt is technically illegal. If you live in the US, that's a Lacey Act violation, and you don't need even a whiff of that.

I used a .404 Jeffery for the brain shot in shallow water, and it was quite satisfactory.

Stick to the law. If you use an "illegal" rifle, the hunt is technically illegal. If you live in the US, that's a Lacey Act violation, and you don't need even a whiff of that.

Oh yeah, and that one too!

I'd say if your ethics are so questionable make the illegal hunt and get back to us after the first five minutes in a foreign jail.

I have trouble understanding why this I even a consideration when you know the law beforehand.

Agree with all comments on using a legal rifle.

From your choices use the scoped 375.

Where you going to be hunting at anyway? Going back to Zim?

My .375 is as accurate as any rifle I've ever owned. Do not tempt fate here, stick by the law.

.375 would be the best option. I wouldn't like to be sitting with a .270 in my hands if the shot goes wrong and the hippo ends up charging.

No worries. Hippo's are a slow lumbering beast. o_O

BB, trying to load another hippo video, they not easy in the right place.

i have a question as I've not previously hunted hippo but will be doing so this summer.

It seems there is a large faction that says "in the water, shoot them with the most accurate small bore rifle you own". In my circle of friends I know two that killed them this way. .270s and 30-06 bullets to the brain.

But here comes the rub: A.) It isn't legal. B.) There is a government game scout present.

Is a small bore to the brain the most proven, ethical approach to hunting these animals in the water or is better to sling lead with a .375 or 500NE? (my other two options) I'll be bringing three guns with the 7x57 being the super accurate scoped single shot and the other two being DG rifles that are minute of pie plate accurate at best.

I generally am a law and order, follow the rules type of fellow but I'm now curious as it seems a great many generally good citizens are finding cause to shoot hippos with little guns. If its the best ethical kill setup for the hunt I could be persuaded to do it that way. Still wrestling with this conflict.

Well as all the others have said I would also strongly encourage you to use the legal minimum caliber (.375).

But talking about your 2 friends who shot hippos with smaller calibers, I suppose it is possible the game scout either looked the other way on this one violation or he might have been bribed to look the other way. In countries where public officials are poorly paid and corruption is rampant that could certainly happen. In such countries you can bribe cops pretty easily for small violations i.e. speeding. Even customs officials. I would guess the same could apply for a game scout in this particular situation.

Now if everything goes smoothly- the shot instantly kills it and it is recovered then no problem. Now imagine you end up wounding a hippo with a less than legal caliber and that said hippo maims or kills someone. Then you would be up to your neck in problems and probably facing serious legal issues. Whereas if you had used a legal caliber that wouldn't be an issue. Its important to think about what could happen in a worst case scenario.

Also I would imagine that the feds monitor this site. Tbh I think a thread like this not only makes this site look bad, you are inquiring about doing something illegal which could potentially result in fatal consequences, but it could very well also be drawing a huge bulls eye on your back to the feds.

I'd say if your ethics are so questionable make the illegal hunt and get back to us after the first five minutes in a foreign jail.

I have trouble understanding why this I even a consideration when you know the law beforehand.
I'm with TallGrass on this one. Use what's legal, not what's hearsay. Don't like the law, then petition to change it.

No one here will condone something illegal, especially when it comes to hunting.

I'm with TallGrass on this one. Use what's legal, not what's hearsay. Don't like the law, then petition to change it.

No one here will condone something illegal, especially when it comes to hunting.

Can you imagine to compromise the PH, his license and livelihood, the Game Scout's livelihood, all because you do not wish to use a legal gun? Sorry but that seems terribly selfish and of poor judgment.

Interesting subject indeed, I say like Simon use a accurate shooting and scoped 375 H&H, even if I personally think that to shoot a hippo in water is not that exiting at all... why not make the hunting for a hippo a bit more memorable, a dream hippo hunt would be to stalk after Luangwa River an early morning when they grassing on land, in that case I would strongly suggest as minimum 375 or 416 calibre.

My first hippo I shoot as a young chap with a 375 H&H for more than 25 years ago on land an early morning in Cameroon (photo) in a mixture of high grass and forest is still in my memory as it was yesterday. Actually I think it's perhaps one of the most dangerous African game you can hunt on land...

I wish you best of luck Rookhawk with your decision.

Michael

IMG_0048.JPG

Always stick to the law. No trophy is worth spending time in a jail for. Be it in Africa or as a result in your home country.
As far as ethics are concerned : There is nothing unethical about wanting to cleanly kill an animal with a well executed brain shot in the water. If this bothers a hunter , well then he should be using a spear. Is it more interesting on land - absolutely .

I understand your concern, given your "minute of pie plate" accuracy description.

Hopefully you have enough time before this hunt to either get the current 375 accuracy up to snuff, or get another that you can shoot 2MOA or better.

Best of luck getting that squared-away!

Tim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois