www.beingkarl.wordpress.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life member, Nature Conservancy, Dallas Safari Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Canada, Mexico, United States, Louisiana
I recently received my skulls and hides from the taxidermist in Kimberly and I really love just looking at the colors and patterns of the hides. My wife is particularly taken with the blesbok, red hartebeest, springbuck, and gemsbok. I have surveyed the internet to the best of my ability and it is my impression that there are few options for really showing off larger sized hides.

If anyone has some ideas or links for ideas or options, I could use the help. We plan to stretch the tanned springbuck hide over an oil painting frame and hang it as you would fine art. Any other ideas?

Not so creative but, rugs.
I have also seen some rungs that were an amalgamation of several hides and sometimes species. Darned if I can recall where though. Sorry.
Patch work quilts of squares of each hide.

It will also be hard with the Gemsbok longer hair

Some ideas:
1. Small hides draped over dining room chairs.
2. Larger hides draped over recliner and couch.
3. Hides tacked to wall and mounts or pictures hung over them.
4. Hides placed over guest bed.
5. Hides placed on floor in rooms or under chairs.
6. Hide trimmed (if legs bother you) to lay on desk top with a glass cover.
7. Make a hanging on smaller hides to reflect hunting accomplishments.

Now for more ideas.
1. Rifle case.
2. Have installed on back of couch for middle of the room.
3. Have a chair refinished with the hides.
4. Have your couch refinished with many different hides.

I once saw a backskin tacked to a wall with a skull mount in the middle. I thougt it looked great. Not sure if you have full hides or back skins? Just an idea?

Thank you much for the input, we've considered draping skins over furniture and the wall hangings with skulls and those are probably the way we'll go. The hides are full sized, tanned, and three of them are particularly beautiful. I personally like the image of a gemsbok hide draped in a stairway with the skull centered on it. I am also considering a pedestal mount for the kudu skull with hide draped over the pedestal.

I appreciate all of the suggestions.

I have seen:
The panels used as the front of a bar in a trophy room.
The panels used for upholstery on an Ottoman...patchworked or single / plain for you den or lounge.
The Zebra skin used as a chair throw with the tail in the front between yr feet and the mane down the back! Was actually upholstered like that!
just some!

Picture frames, it's not hard, I have done it with Whitetail hides and a number of other wildey critters. Just take an old frame (or new) and cut the hide into strips. Then simply glue, I use Gorilla glue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeewangarg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Houston Bill wrote on Sketchy1973's profile.
Hello,

I am considering selling my Rizzini 470 NE double, if you have interest we should discuss.

Bill
btheis13 wrote on migrabill's profile.
I love your zebra avatar! Is that yours? If so, would you mind sharing who did your taxidermy work?
Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video