HI, ya'll.

Bwannabe

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Ok I am new to hunting abroad. Wait maybe I should say overseas. Traveled the world for Uncle Sam, hunted some braids back then. But seldom got to hunt for animals.

Planning my first trip to RSA in June 2014. Plains game.

I drop in to the DSC show last Jan and wow is about all I can say.

Does anyone have a detailed list of how to schedule all this stuff. What I mean is I can get there and back just fine.

But shipping the skins back, seems to be some big dark secret.

I have seen Flora Fauna, Coppersmiths and Wells and it seems they just do want to talk and explain stuff unless you have a shipment ready and waiting. The info is pretty much not available.

Is there anyone whom can guide me along on planning the return trip and trophy, they will be dipped and shipped.

Thank you. Bwannabe.

Getting your trophies home is pretty simple, not cheap, but simple. Your outfitter will get you set up with a dip and ship operation. They will prepare each of the pieces for shipment ($). Then they arrange for them to be air freighted to your destination of choice ($). Once in the US they will have to be blessed by a customs broker ($). Then the USFW will inspect them (I think that there is also a charge for that). Finally, you have them in the US (presumably at your taxidermist). Then you have to make the final decision of what to mount and how to mount it ($).

If you want an idea of cost for dip and ship, talk with your outfitter. I think that for my plains game hunt in Namibia, the dip and ship cost around $1,000. However, I don't recall the exact amount.

I figure that for "ordinary" hunts outside of the lower 48 that the ballpark total cost of a trip will end up being double what you pay the outfitter. In that total, I include tips, licenses, airfare, trophy prep and shipping, taxidermy (if you don't go crazy with the mounts), etc. Of course, if you are going for some really pricey animal (e.g., trophy rhino, trophy bull elephant, etc.) then that formula doesn't hold up.

There is a lot of good information on this sites and some really experienced "old hands" at this stuff who are willing to share their knowledge.

Good luck and have fun planning your hunt.

:welcome:

Welcome to AH Bawannabe! As MTgoat said its pretty easy most of that is handled for you at a fee. to give you a rough idea my first hunt in 2010 went something like this, I did a 7 day hunt taking 9 animals, I had them all mounted there taxidermy cost for 2 floor pedestal mount 1 wall pedestal mount 5 shoulder mount and the tusk of my warthog was 4,300 USD when ready the taxidermist has a shipping agent pick them up already crated for shipping, the shipping agent will send you a bill for shipping mine was about 2,400 USD from Port Elizebeth to Atlanta Ga. There I had set up with my CB to handle the fish and game paperwork cost to me about 240 USD the CB will let you know what they need from you. I drove 5 hrs to Atl and picked them up myself for 200USD vs shipping to my door at 1500 USD. Long story short I dropped off 9 trophies in June in Feb almost 7 months later there hanging on my wall, vs dip&pack about 4months for your trophies to come in then off to the tannery back to your taxidermist and wait for him to get them done 1 to 2 years. but thats just me but it'll give you something to think about. and when there akready for display less head ache from F&G :)

I would rather spend the taxidermy cost in the USA. A Buddy had his leopard ruined in Africa, plus the mount was 3rd rate a best. I want high quality mounts. I have yet to see much in quality come out of Africa.

Thanks

Welcome to AH.
Like any business type there are those who can't and those who can. No matter what country.

Hi,and welcome.Good luck on your trip,your outfitter will handle everything to ensure your trophies get to you.

Warm welcome to AH Bwannabe! Here you will find all that is necessary on planning your trip to Africa 2014. As Mtgoat and Bobpuckett said, trophy care and handling is pretty easy. Outfitters would help you, planning your trip and making suggestions on whom to use and whom to avoid.

Hi Bwannabe,
Welcome to AH, sir. I'm sure you will enjoy your time here with us. Great bunch of guys here on the forum and they will help you wherever they can. As most have mentioned, any outfitter worth his salt will take care of all the arrangements of getting your capes back to the US.
All the best in your planning,

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

I have yet to see much in quality come out of Africa.

OUCH !! Browse through the forum..you will find quite a few highly recommended African taxidermists here. Welcome to AH.

Welcome to AH Bwannabe!

Welcome

Hi Bwannabe,
Welcome to AH, sir. I'm sure you will enjoy your time here with us. Great bunch of guys here on the forum and they will help you wherever they can. As most have mentioned, any outfitter worth his salt will take care of all the arrangements of getting your capes back to the US.
All the best in your planning,

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

I agree a good outfitter will help he will also help with a reputable taxidermist in Africa if that is the route you choose. I have had mounts done both ways here and in Africa and I would say some of my stuff done in Africa is as good if not better that in the states.

Turn around time is faster if mounted in Africa and overall cost you may save some

Bwannabe,

Welcome!

You started out with a great question keep up the great work!

I already have my taxidermist picked out. I did some research and I know who I will use. Price are not cheap but day in and day out the guy turns out excellent work.

I did acquire a CZ 550 Safari with the cross bolted action day before yesterday in 375 H and H. maybe more gun than I need but the price was really right. used very very little.

Anyone used Wells Expediting out of Houston TX?

How about trip insurance and Global Rescue?

Also anyone used Gracy Travel in San Antonio Texas? I hear good things about how they handle African hunters.

Texas hunter here - I used Gracy for my July trip to Namibia, there were a few snafus. They clearly do this frequently but in my case I didn't get the seats I requested and they reserved a day room for a party of 2 in Frankfurt even though we were a family of four which they had booked through to Windhoek. Personally I wouldn't use them again. Plus the prices were no better than what I could reserve myself online.

I'm using Coppersmith's but won't get anything til November. I haven't picked out a taxidermist yet, I want to use my favorite - Mountain Legends in Belen NM - but not sure if I want to deliver everything out there and back and would like to find something closer to Austin.

Welcome to AH, Bwannabe !

Hi Bwannabe

Welcome to AH, as you already saw if you are not sure about anything just ask on this site and everything gets explained.
Good luck on that safari and remember to keep us posted on the trophies you take.

Best Regards

Welcome to AH Bwannabe.

My name is Kevin and I work for Global Rescue. I'm more than happy to answer any questions you have prior to your trip next June, as there are a number of differences between Global Rescue and other evacuation providers.

Feel free to reach out to me at memberservices@globalrescue.com or 800.381.9754/+1.617.459.4200 internationally. I look forward to speaking with you soon!

Welcome to the forum. First off, Thank you for your service". Secondly, there are a lot of useful thread for shipping taxidermy, flights (to an from), and the dreaded "tipping thread". Have fun and enjoy the journey.

Well I guess I am hooked, have not made it to Africa hunting yet and already thinking about 2015. I have shot my fair share of whitetail deer, a couple mule deer and even a Mt Goat, but it just does not have the thrill of travel and the dark continent. Yea while in the military I got to visit some parts of Africa but not for fun.

Last Jan. 2013 the wife and I went to the Dallas Safari Club and was pretty much overwelmed, I could have spent a couple days.

Anyway, I have been looking at some other hunting ideas. So even to the planning stage of saving for the 2015 as soon 2014 is paid for.

Does anyone ever rent a car once out of Joberg? My thoughts are if possible to rent a car and go to a couple of other PH during a two week period and hunt some other game.

Kind of nice not to owe any bills to anyone other than the utilities on the home. Took some years to get there but now, but for I die time to have some real fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EllieBoatm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross