Hi Everyone

Discussion in 'Introductions & Greets' started by marshy, May 23, 2011.

1. marshy

marshy AH Member

Hi there everyone.

I've been a member of the site for sometime now, but never got around to introducing myself and so decided to finaly introduce myself.

I'm a 24 year old guy from Durban, South Africa, who's spent his life growing up between Durban and the Eastern Cape (my home away from home!) and fell in love with the outdoors, and anything to do with it from a young age. Hunting, fishing, plinking at targets, 4x4ing, visiting game reserves, etc....basically anything to do with the outdoors, and I'm there.

To tell you the truth, i've never left the country, but i'm one of the most patriotic people you'll ever meet! i love this country of ours, even with all the obstacles and negatives, and although id like to travel the world, i know africa is where my heart and soul lie, and this is where id like to finally come to rest.

Back to the relevant bits now ;) when i was a lot younger, my father and his friends would go on an annual hunting trip, until the age of 13, where i was invited along, and the trip turned into a dads and lads (some of the most amazing memories growing up), and then it happened. the hunting bug bit, and bit HARD!

Needless to say, I'd like to one day own my own farm, and piece of Africa. I've hunted the moordenaars Karoo, the Kzn bush, the hilly Grahamstown surrounds, and the beautiful areas north of Pretoria, and i love experiencing the diverse conditions and terrain.

Hunting for me isn't so much about shooting and killing, but more about the stalk, the surrounding environment, and respecting your quarry that's about to give its life...
    I remember being mentored by a close family friend who was a retired PH, and still vividly remember him saying the day you look at your quarry through your sights, and you don't shake with adrenalin, that day you go home & put away your rifle, because the hunt is no longer the same for you....

Hunting for meis about spending time in nature and the wilderness, surrounded by diverse birdlife, game, fauna and flora. It's about walking the veld in the frosty mornings, and returning to the lodge in the late afternoon setting sun, to the familiar calls of the Burchal's Coucal.

I've always been more interested inthe stalk- adrenalin pumping...the heightened senses, and becoming one with nature, than about squeezing the round off.

Ever since joining the site, there doesnt seem to be a day that goes by that i don't log in and read, re-read, or even re-re-re-read threads for the umptienth time. I'm still young, and there is lot i have yet to learn, but i must commend the members, senios members, and moderators of the site. You all create an amazing learning environment, with a wealth of knowledge i can only admire.

If i am any example to go by, then this site and it's members are creating s solid base for future generations, and i look forward to always leaning more, and watching the site and it's members grow in leaps and bounds.
    here's to the future!!!

i hope you all have a great weekend and have an awesome week ahead!!

-Marshy :)
  2. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
    Marshy, glad you decided to start writing. Sounds like you have been having some fun in the bush. You have something to share with those stories, so help keep the adrenalin pumping for others by sharing those stories and pictures.
  3. JNHall

JNHall AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa (trip # 2 3/18/2013)
    Great introduction, hope to hear from you often Marshy!
  4. Nyati

Nyati AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    RFEC, RFETO
    Hunted:
    Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West ), Spain
    Welcome to the forum Marshy, you may be young, but you seem to know what hunting is really about !
  5. James.Grage

James.Grage GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
    Hunted:
    USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Africa
    Marshy

Welcome to the forum...we will be looking to you for some expert advice in the future...

Happy to have you on board...
  6. ndbwhnter

ndbwhnter AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa
    Welcome the forum Marshy. Looking forward to reading more posts from you.

nd
  7. AfricaHunting.com

AfricaHunting.com FOUNDER AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Welcome to AH Marshy! Glad you decided to introduce yourself and looking forward to your participation on AH. Thanks for the kind words regarding the site.
  8. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    Welcome to AH Marshy!
  9. nsok

nsok AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Nice words Marshy. Welcome to this great site
  10. WST416

WST416 AH Veteran

Member of:
    SCI, Member of Denver SCI chapter, DU
    Hunted:
    US,Canada,Argentina,Botswana,South Africa
    Marshy, welcome to AH.
  11. Bobpuckett

Bobpuckett GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
    Hunted:
    USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
    Welcome Marshy we are as addicted to your Country as much as you are. Feel free to post some stories and pics we'd really enjoy them.