Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Hemingway Writes On Africa, 1954
by Ernest Hemingway published in LOOK magazine, January 26, 1954

watermark.php

Returning after twenty years to the scene of The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Green Hills of Africa, Ernest Hemingway is on a five months' journey through East Africa. In the first five weeks, his safari ranged 2,000 miles through the wild Masai country of southern Kenya, by truck, hunting car, jeep and on foot. With him were his wife Mary, a Cuban friend, a white hunter, a game ranger, LOOK photographer Earl Theisen and 22 native scouts and safari attendants.

watermark.php

watermark.php

The mountain (Kilimanjaro) did not show itself for three weeks. Then one morning it was there and it looked nothing like the Snows of Zanuck. There was not even much snow. But there was all we needed. - E.H.

watermark.php

Philip Percival is the finest man that I know. This statement covers very much ground and is not intended to offend good friends. Most of us good friends know we are not as fine as we would wish and are good friends anyway. Philip has only one defect. He is going to die as all of us will. But no man will do it better or give it less importance. He had been retired for three years and never intended to take out a safari again. He had no need to. With many forms of the true physical suffering, from sciatica which is a pain men cannot bear, down through the simpler tortures, he was always cheerful, sound, solid, efficient and exemplary. He was also more fun to be with than anyone I know from any war or peace. He loves the animals and respects and knows them as few other people ever can. And when things start to be bad he is as young as when he galloped lion fifty years ago on the lovely broken hill of Wami. - E.H.

watermark.php

Breakfast in the dry river bed that we cruised in the morning for game pictures and to study the Masai dry-weather wells for watering their cattle when the rains fail. -E.H.

watermark.php

Mary kept a diary and a newborn Grant Gazelle. When Mary found Baa he was still wet from where his mother had dropped him. He was about the size of a jack rabbit and he could not stand. She found him in the morning in high grass where the herd of Grant Gazelle had been frightened by the lions. By noon he could stand shakily and was nursing from a bottle. The same afternoon he was butting Kibo the dog if he came too close.

One time when he was tethered by a tree in Fig Tree Camp some visiting natives saw him. He distrusted and feared all people who did not smell either like Ty or Mary who fed him. They smelled respectively of good pipe tobacco and a perfume that is so expensive that I will not name it. They also smelled of soap. So Baa broke his tether and ran from the natives. They pursued him and when our Wakamba cook cursed them for frightening Baa one of the visitors started for the cook with a spear. Baa was lost in a thick country where leopards came every night after the camp meat. Everyone in the camp searched for him and when the sun was gone behind the escarpment and night came it was a sad camp and Miss Mary was crying without letting anyone see. We heard the leopard cough and the baboons speaking to him. Then the fire was burning down the trail in the firelight came Baa walking delicately and with his usual elegance to kiss Miss Mary on the chin. He had ridden it out the way Baas do in Africa. -E.H.

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerome,

Thanks for sharing the lovely photos and the write up on Ernest's hunting expdition.Never can get bored reading his books. Great Writer and a very avid hunter.

Monish

Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

Few photos from Ernest Hemingway hunting days...

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Monish

Thank You

Hallo Jerome & Monish,
I truly appreciate getting to read very interesting facts, see photos, and remember the books I had read as a youth with visions of Africa. I know that there is a finite number of GWHs to review but until they have been written up by you two, I look forward to the next installment.

Best regards,

Wm. D. "Karamojo, Bill"

Karamojo,

Thanks again , shall venture to post some more interesting facts about the great white hunters ,who did explored & hunted the African wilds........

watermark.php

Ernest Hemingway and his wife, Mary, on safari in 1953

watermark.php

Ernest Hemingway on safari, 1933

Monish

Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

Few photos of the great Writer, Hunter and the ladies in his life.

Monish

Attachments

• Ernst & Elizabeth.jpg
    Ernst & Elizabeth.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 373
  • ernst & martha.jpg
    ernst & martha.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 275
  • hem_pauline.jpg
    hem_pauline.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 283
  • Heminways.jpg
    Heminways.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 314
  • hemingway-marywelsh.jpg
    hemingway-marywelsh.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 1,240
Ernest Hemingway's Nobel Prize Acceptance Speech

Ernest Hemingway's Nobel Prize Acceptance Speech

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross