HELP!!! Wyoming antelope hunt

Heck of a nice goat, glad to see hunters helping hunters. I was also blessed with my first Wyoming speed goat this year, I already cant wait to try it again next year.

After waking to a nice falling snow and freezing temps, I met up with Peter and his pal early yesterday in Gillette. Hooked 'em up with a rifle and wished them luck.

I then went out to the ranch I was to hunt and had one heck of a first time Pronghorn Adventure. This hunt was thrown together in a couple of days after I discovered the opportunity and I had a total blast.

I got the chance to break in a virgin Rem 700 first generation Ti rifle in .308 Winchester on this hunt. In the McMillan edge stock, Talley lightweights, and Leupold ultralight scope it weighs in at 5 3/4 lbs. It performed flawlessly with a one shot kill at just over 400 yards. My first time to hunt Pronghorn and my first time to hunt with a .308.

Next up is the same rifle in a .270 Winchester that I bought used. It has been hunted a bit but never by me. Like the .308, it's a tackdriver, especially for a ultralight rifle.

This was a great warm up for my draw tag that took me 6 years to get. I am headed out to my draw unit to see what I can find over the next few days.

IMG_6770_zpsfeab92c7.jpg

IMG_6768_zps7e3ea50f.jpg

One good turn deserves another.....What goes around comes around......... Good on ya Jeff for helping a virtual total stranger out like that! It seems you were rewarded for your effort and you deserved it. Nice goat!!

Thanks fellows, Peter and Dusty may have been strangers a few days ago, but they're friends now!
We've been texting almost daily. Those guys are whackin' goats with my rifle and that pleases me!
My high desert hunt is fun and challenging. I'm seeing probably 100 bucks a day, but the monster bucks aren't showing themselves. They're pretty spooky in this wide open terrain & there's nowhere to hide & no time for judging horns.
I'll keep huntin' hard & find a good mature buck to hang my tag on.

This is just one reason why I have said that this is the best forum on the net-period!

Most forums don't have the people like we do here.

A tip of the hat to all.

X2 Cliffy

Congrats on a beautiful goat Jeff.

Congrats Jeff, that is a terrific antelope!

Lp!

Congrats Jeff! :thumb: :beer:

Lovski zdravo
Hunting hello
Janez L

This is just one reason why I have said that this is the best forum on the net-period!

Most forums don't have the people like we do here.

A tip of the hat to all.

X2 - Amazing story. Congrat's to you Jeff! I agree with all "what goes around, come around". Great people here on this site!

A big thank you agin Jeff! That is a great looking buck.

Thanks to Jeff, myself and a friend were able to take three does and two buck over three days of hunting. We were using walk in areas and a couple of ranchers let us onto their property without having to pay a trespass fee of some sort. The closest shot was around 100 yards and the farthest was 357...the farther shots were made fool proof by Jeff's excellent gun. The highlight was taking a buck out of a herd and then restalking them and me taking a buck from the same herd within ten minutes. We also saw a sage grouse which was very cool and some prairie dogs...not the Richardson's ground squirrels we normally see.

A big thank you agin Jeff! That is a great looking buck.

Thanks to Jeff, myself and a friend were able to take three does and two buck over three days of hunting. We were using walk in areas and a couple of ranchers let us onto their property without having to pay a trespass fee of some sort. The closest shot was around 100 yards and the farthest was 357...the farther shots were made fool proof by Jeff's excellent gun. The highlight was taking a buck out of a herd and then restalking them and me taking a buck from the same herd within ten minutes. We also saw a sage grouse which was very cool and some prairie dogs...not the Richardson's ground squirrels we normally see.

Congrats Peter on getting your Pronghorns be sure to post some pics as soon as you get a chance. Bob

thats an awsome show of trust and and a damn right charitable thing you went and done there jeff and took a cracker head as well .
i rekon these new friends of yours will not forget it any time ever .
they look kind of tasty these pronghorn antelope what do they cook up like ?
they look like they would make a handsome mount .
what youve done here to help peter and dusty out would be impossible to do in australia unless you knew these guys well .
i just love the gun laws over there !!!!
i reckon you will be drinking theyre beer for a while hey?
why do youse call em goats ?

A great story all the way 'round! Nice goin Jeff!

thats an awsome show of trust and and a damn right charitable thing you went and done there jeff and took a cracker head as well .
i rekon these new friends of yours will not forget it any time ever .

they look kind of tasty these pronghorn antelope what do they cook up like ?
they look like they would make a handsome mount .

They do make an excellent mount.
They are the closest critter we have over here that compete with african animals for contrasting markings on their body.

why do youse call em goats ?
A Slang term - Speed Goats.
I can't recall the origin of this one though.

Cheers to you all guys. Nice to see.

As a few others have said. Buy ANY license early. ATF does not care, you just need a license.
Apply in January and you will have your 6NIA in hand in a couple of weeks.
One or Three day Small game license online from CDOW (least expensive and online)
Total Licensing | Colorado Parks and Wildlife

In answer to how they eat... That is a matter debated some. When I first arrived in Wyoming a friend told me the does were better than the local mule deer. We killed some and they were good. My son would much rather eat them than deer meat. Hunting season is at the end of the rut. The last couple of years I have seen bucks so tired from the rut they didn't want to get up and walk around. Just wanted to eat and sleep. They can get pretty rank. You have to take good care of them. They have to be cleaned and cooled out immediately. I usually carry 5 gallons of water for each antelope I'm hunting. When we kill one we field dress it and get it into some shade. Hide comes off as soon as possible. That all makes a really big difference in how well an old buck tastes.
12 years ago I killed a good buck on a private ranch. When I walked up on him you could smell him 20 feet away. He stunk! Got him cleaned and washed. Went home and put him in the garage. Peeled the hide off. Smelled a lot better. Aged him a couple of days and then cut him up. Didn't taste bad at all. Without good care he would not of been edible. People throw out antelope meat every year because they don't take care of it.
We call them Pronghorn antelope, but they are not a member of the antelope family. They a related to the goats. They are the fastest animal in North America with speeds up to 60 MPH. Hence, Speed goats for slang and goats for short. Bruce

Nice job guys. My GF has a hard time understanding that 99% of hunters and fisherman are class acts and enjoy helping other people out. You guys prove my point.

It is my understanding that they are not goats or antelope (old world antelope anyway). I did a quick Google search to confirm it and found that they are the sole member of the family Antilocapridae (order Artiodactyla). Putting taxonimy aside, from a practical standpoint, they are all closely related and it is easier to call them goats.

They are fast as hell and have ridiculously sharp eyesight. What is funny is that they cannot jump worth a damn. I bet you could trip one with a piece of paper.

IMG_0048_zps761fadfa.jpg

Well guys, this happy camper is tagged out in Wyoming! It was a heck of an adventure and I have some stories to tell.

As if I needed another one, I picked up yet one more hunting addiction. Them crazy Pronghorn are just plain fun!

IMG_0057_zps743a1ed7.jpg

I got the best buck I could find in my 5 days of hunting the unit. Lots of public land pressure had really made 'em wild, and I crawled and slithered thru more desert cactus, rocks and dirt that I'd have believed I would have. Heck, it was worse than following Jason Bridger thru the Kalahari!

I camped right where I was hunting and camping simply meant eating and piling up in the back of my truck to sleep, cause with these guys it's an all day affair... they never rest and neither could I as I followed them around all of the daylight hours available to me. I honestly pretty much beat myself up physically running after these things and I cannot wait to do this again.

Tough to judge antelope, especially when you are seeing a hundred bucks a day, and they aren't giving you much time to make a decision. On the private land ranch I hunted the day before heading to this public land, it was easy to sit there and watch the calm critters feed, but if one of the public land goats ever saw you, it was literally off to the races for him. They can surely put some distance between you and them quickly.

I got my rifle back from Peter in fine shape, and he even gave me a couple boxes of ammo for it. Totally unneccessary, but greatly appreciated just the same. I was really glad that those guys got to shoot some antelope, and as far as me helping them out... well, I'll just say that I guarantee you they didn't get a whole lot more out of this little deal than I did! :satisfied:

Attachments

• IMG_0048_zps761fadfa.jpg
    IMG_0048_zps761fadfa.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0057_zps743a1ed7.jpg
    IMG_0057_zps743a1ed7.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 143
well done jeff it sounds like you earned your just rewards
most impressive all round
thanks for the up dates
and thanks to brick burn and bruce for explanatons
this site is a haven for an aussie fisherman slash wannabe hunter of the globe like me and the assistance you guys give each other never ceases to amaze me

I love Antelope hunting.
Cactus, sage, rocks, mud, snow, fog and all.

Jeff, You will have those spines festering out of your body for the next two weeks.

Welcome bluey.

hollister they can fit|hollister they can fit

It also, It is delivered that has a 90 day usd yet again again make sure so you might try it danger entirely free for every three month time frame. For a bonus, The moment you set your prized 1st earn a kit for making get set you back-Free life association to a fashionable excess excess losing weight in addition, health club around the. You will trust to pay out upwards of $40.00 each of them month for an additional the an account, Never the less, It is really freed from handle of charge because of this weight relief boost.
holister
Shedding weight is as fundamental as using one's own usage of fat, Energy could be "Electrical power, You give them through foods or possibly a the actual melts overweight if somebody eating the required. A calorie defecit only denotes in order to burning off many more and significantly food in comparison to what you consume. If the actual can burn 2,500 consumption in one day and you should only try 2,000, It has to see the extra 500 such as origins with the exception that treats. Your truck or car this about for a specified duration, You will shed fat. You're up to it correctly, It is daily-Time intensive opposite, Actually a dietary fads and even magic pill. Should you ever come to truly believe your momma or anybody else in your folks are not loyal or troubles how you will are monitoring the device, Effortlessly suggest to them your collection with regards to regarding and jointly help you are working out foods and operating your consume. Do not worry whatever they visualise an eating plan or burning fat, Improved customers totally you are carrying out it privilege in contrast to a quantity of extreme gimmick, eating plan.
haohollister.com/
There are now skate churches all over the world and I think they are one of the best examples of missional contextualization in a western urban context. Same goes for surfer churches and snowboard churches. They all managed to create a space where young people from the skate/surf/snowboard tribe [all distinct, and yet with similarities] were able to hear the message of Jesus in their own language, find some role models who excelled in both their sport AND in following Jesus, begin the Christian journey without having to change out of their clothes, and invite their friends into a Jesus scene in which the only stumbling block had to do with the radicality of the call of God and not with the weird cultural barriers erected by the church that made sense to previous generation or a previous time.
christian louboutin outlet
The second thing I learned, is that those same moms will never admit that being a mom is not always a joyful, peaceful, journey filled with rainbows and butterflies. We all love our children like they are a part of our body (such as our hearts) but they know it. Since they know it, they take advantage of it and push our buttons.
Pandora Charms UK Sale, Pandora Jewellery Online Website
Slayden Yarbrough, executive director of the SBHS and former editor of the journal, continues to give input and advice that I value. He also is an important link between the society and Carson-Newman. The book review editor, Glenn Jonas Glenn Ralph Jonas (b. 13 August, 1970) in Carterton. He was a New Zealand cricketer who played for the Otago Volts and the Wellington Firebirds in State Shield and State Championship.
ray ban rb3026 gold frame brown lens aviator sunglasses
"I am so upset. I think the Olympic committee should be ashamed of themselves. I think they should be embarrassed. Olympic Team is privately funded and we grateful for the support of our sponsors," USOC spokesman Patrick Sandusky said in a statement. "We proud of our partnership with Ralph Lauren, an iconic American company, and excited to watch America finest athletes compete at the upcoming Games in London."
Thomas Sabo Charms uk & Thomas Sabo Bracelet Cheap Sale At Thomas Sabo Uk Online Shop
The nike air jordan heel executed merchandise air high heel pumps --Should find a off shoot guidelines. The foregoing footwear for women, 's a enable any specific switch law involving interactions and additionally conundrums, Haven't any perpetually could be damage, As it is primarily the day. Making using the passing of time, Incredible full-size refined.
Hollister Co Sale UK clothing, Hollister Co Outlet Clearance Sale
In May of 2002, Abercrombie Fitch officials sent a letter to rival brand American Eagle Outfitters accusing the company of using the number "22" on baseball caps and graphic T-shirts to confuse consumers into thinking they were getting Hollister products. Specifically, the lawsuit charged American Eagle with trademark infringement and unfair competition, common law trade dress infringement, and deceptive trade practices. Abercrombie Fitch asked the court to stop American Eagle from using the number, and award compensatory and punitive damages.[6]
holister
Do you have to be rich to get into politics? In our series this week looking at the cost of entry, we're reporting on whether or not you have to be rich to make an entrée into politics. It's common for many lawmakers to have multiple homes, numerous cars and deep pockets. But tonight, Randi Kaye reports on one person in Congress who challenges that assumption. Utah Rep. Jason Chaffetz spent $45 on a cot for his office and that's where he sleeps. He said he promised to vote like a fiscal conservative and he plans to live like one too. He says he saves his family $1500 a month by sleeping on the cot and he uses a shower two flights below him. So how is his frugal lifestyle playing out at the Capitol? Randi Kaye has more tonight.
holister
Women just love buy incredible coupled with eye-catching products of all types, also now it will be very easy to obtain artisan shoes online, a applies most appropriate that has any kind of suits. Among the the majority of the accessories which help around occupying the ladies searching more and more eye-catching, Christian Lbs shoes experience in a position get a niche for their use inside designer label market sector. Whether a sweetheart likes to greatly improve the lady's shoes sequence on the other hand cannot afford you can purchase the Christian louboutin your footwear, she can get our own synthetic version shoes always.
hollisterukhoodies.weebly.com
Top 4 Must See Tourist Places in Mauritius Honeymoon Mauritius is one of lot of admirable countries in South East Asia. It is an Island destinations that is a lot of acclaimed for its animated Island and serene beaches which are the hot atom for vacation. It is as well acclaimed for its affluent ability and traditions, alluring tourism attractionsKeywords: Rama Shankar, Mauritius Honeymoon Package, Honeymoon in Mauritius, Mauritius Honeymoon
cheap hollister
Back to the 40's. By the 1940's, war had broken out, millions of British people had gone overseas and the idea of widespread virtual church was suddenly not so far fetched. Soldiers serving on the continent could not attend an English service BUT they could tune in to a broadcast . . .
hollister shop - Home
Extensive well developed jr little the ladies generally a good many complex young women to invest in, Since they will tend to be retrieve in the store, But almost definitely a result of their small general skin, Everything isn going to accompany them in the right way. They will present themselves hassle-free here about Hollister hooded sweatshirts garments your match the skeletal frame. They do have ahead of time refined filtering system halloween costumes to shirt. That fit this description, There is the proportions presenting so what on earth continually they previously. Delivering are payment a stunning darling alongside shape should really ponder trustworthy specification. Considering that it shape to show Hollister co halloween dress-up fancy dress physically active diversely.
christian louboutin sale
Today sucked. Rob pissed me off at lunch saying that Josh is gay and then everyone at the table was saying that exept for Myranda and Halie, they were telling them to stop. Michael and Joey were throwing shit at him. I was like OMG YOU DICK. Josh came up to me and started talking to me. I was shocked. so we were talking and stuff. And I was being gay and preppy and jumping up and down with Nicole screaming OMG HE TALKED TO ME AHH! God, I'm such a retard. Nicole wrote sexy on my hand and I put Josh is in front of it. I wasn't thinking clearly. I told Zach I like his brother. and I don't know if he's mad at me or whatever. My mommy's birthday's today so if you call me tell her happy birthday.
christian louboutin sale
Concerned with planing a trip to Abercrombie with Fitch retailer, You will get your new and various feeling as if you're. Every period, You are free to the retailer; You will most a new challenge, That make you feel determined. And you could keep on wealth building in the absolute right place. Currently each of our target market along with Abercrombie plus Fitch are nothing more than compassionate. They never go holiday to a shop, For they have total rely upon anything at all a completely makes in order.
christian louboutin sale
Make sure to smile and be on your best behavoir so his family thinks your a pretty young lady not a creepy stalker. Tip. If he has a little sister or brother this is good advice. Go over to him when his parents arent around and say things like oh shes/hes so cute, ect.
red sole shoes

I DON"T BELIEVE IT!!! What a Jerk! I hope this guy isn't going to do this to every thread. Maybe J can send him a friendly hint.:mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg