HELP with packing for a hunt and sightseeing trip

EDELWEISS

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
US, Canada, Middle East(does that count)
We (my bride and I) are heading out for a hunt and sightseeing adventure. This isnt my first hunt; but we've never combined a DG safari and sightseeing. Its our honeymoon so we want to do as much as we can. If it were just the hunt, Id pack pretty light; but as we are combing things, Im thinking I need more cloths than just field gear.

We'll be hunting in Kimberly then, heading up to Victoria Falls, then off to Capetown and finally back to Johannesburg to fly home. Im sure I can get double duty out of my khaki trousers and shirts for casual day wear; but I also feel like Im going to want dress attire for dinner. I dont want to be the only guy in a tux; but I also dont want to show up with hunting boots and pants. Likewise for my wife as well. She looks great in everything she wears; but hunting in heels is probably gonna be awkward.

We'll be spending about 10 days sightseeing. Im open to suggestions?

Pack light for hunting, I would go with no more than 3 sets of clothes.

For the tour some of what you wear hunting can serve double duty but if you want to throw in some nicer clothes then by all mean go ahead. On my week long tour last year I wore one pair of pants that I had used for hunting and a couple of other pair along with a few nicer shirts. We didn't stop at any finer restaurant where you would feel out of place by just wearing casual wear but I guess that you could find a few if you wanted to. It was the same way with the wife of one of my friends that came along, but you might need to wait until someone else replies for the female side.

Remember the laundry will be done while you are in camp but once you hit the road you are on your own.

Sounds like a great trip - what a great wife! Hunting with the honeymoon?!

Doesn't sound like you're getting on any small planes. If that's the case, seems like you can pretty much do what you want. We were in New Zealand last year for 3 weeks. 1 week sightseeing, 1 week hunting, then 1 week sightseeing. We took a pelican case for ammo, binos, etc. plus packed extra clothes in it. Then took two roller bags - one each along with a day pack each. That was more than enough to cover various needs

I would just check with your PH/Outfitter but that kind of setup ought to work. And, be sure to post pictures of the trip. Can't wait to see them.

First off, congratulations.

We are just finishing up our hunting and sightseeing trip. With a bit of planning you can get some overlap between your hunting and sightseeing wear, but I still felt I needed some dedicated items. For example, one good thing about Africa is you are fine if you don't wear camo, so a khaki pair of pants and/or shorts can work for sightseeing too. One of my shirts would be the linen shirt from Avedon & Colby as it is nice enough to do double duty for sightseeing.

https://avedoncolby.com/index.php/shop

When worn over a tee shirt, their regular shirt looked good too.

I would pack a blazer to allow for a business casual level of formal wear for a nice restaurant. A rain jacket that was not camo or umbrella. It did get cold and rain here and I felt I needed some items for the city.

For wearing around town a nice pair of jeans and a pollo shirt work with that blazer. Also, there are some good golf clothes that pack very light yet look sharp.

The bulkier items included an extra pair of shoes. Don't forget socks for the city!

We made frequent use of the hotel laundry service where offered as well.

Have fun and good hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richardparker

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross