Help, suffering from Africa Dissociative Disorder

RolandtheHeadless

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
A year ago I faced a big decision: whether to go to Africa. When that question was settled, the remaining question is where in Africa should I go? Little did I suspect that such inquiries would infect me with AAS, Africa Attachment Syndrome, a set of eccentric, but harmless behaviors.

When you've fended off the naysayers and made a pact with yourself by God to go, and settle your preliminary questions, you find yourself having to pin down the dates and put your money where your mouth is. And then you can sit and dream, anticipate the hunt. Each step forward on the process renews the dream. Buy the stuff you need to hunt in Africa, shoot your rifle regularly and with a sense of mission, get yourself in shape. You're doing all of that, marking the days off your calendar.

Then, lo, the day has arrived! You're getting on the plane wondering whether you practiced enough shooting on the sticks and would you make a fool of yourself in front of the PH. But whatever, you're on your way now, buckaroo.

And the next thing you know the hunt has begun. You're riding in or on a genuine African bakkie for the first time, and you're having the time of your life and shooting lots of animals with great company and it goes on a little while, and then it's over. It's all over. Africa is over.

And then. . . the next thing you know you're on the flight home, then you're home, home to your mundane life. Africa has faded away like a dream. There is no more hunt. The hunt is no more.

And after three weeks of despair you ask, what purpose is there to life?

That is when you relentlessly search the internet, look at pics, talk to PH's and hunters, daydream, and start to do all you can to get back ASAP!

A year ago I faced a big decision: whether to go to Africa. When that question was settled, the remaining question is where in Africa should I go? Little did I suspect that such inquiries would infect me with AAS, Africa Attachment Syndrome, a set of eccentric, but harmless behaviors.

When you've fended off the naysayers and made a pact with yourself by God to go, and settle your preliminary questions, you find yourself having to pin down the dates and put your money where your mouth is. And then you can sit and dream, anticipate the hunt. Each step forward on the process renews the dream. Buy the stuff you need to hunt in Africa, shoot your rifle regularly and with a sense of mission, get yourself in shape. You're doing all of that, marking the days off your calendar.

Then, lo, the day has arrived! You're getting on the plane wondering whether you practiced enough shooting on the sticks and would you make a fool of yourself in front of the PH. But whatever, you're on your way now, buckaroo.

And the next thing you know the hunt has begun. You're riding in or on a genuine African bakkie for the first time, and you're having the time of your life and shooting lots of animals with great company and it goes on a little while, and then it's over. It's all over. Africa is over.

And then. . . the next thing you know you're on the flight home, then you're home, home to your mundane life. Africa has faded away like a dream. There is no more hunt. The hunt is no more.

This sounds exactly like what I went through. I came home and my wife couldn't figure out why I was so sad. I remember walking through the airport for work and they were doing the final boarding call for jo-burg on SAA and I just stopped and stared thinking about how wonderful it would be to be on that plane!

The only thing you can do, is look at pics, read reports and start to plan the next one. Save money, airline miles and just be ready for the right opportunity. That is the only treatment!

P.S. 37 days till I'm back and get my fix again!

RX: Do it again!

Rx3: Do your best to rope others into your sad state of affairs by encouraging them to hunt Africa, misery after all loves company.

I came up with a name for this malady years ago, I call it PSB. Post Safari Bummer. I was hammered by this after my first couple of trips over, not so much the 3rd trip. In fact there was a long gap between my 3rd and 4th trips, 11 years! But then I got rebit by the bug. There is only one cure, planning the next trip, which by the way I too am in the process of doing as its been 2 years since the last. How time flies!

I don't really think there is a cure, just treating the symptoms is all you can do. Another safari relieves the suffering but only temporarily!!

There is no cure for your ailment, but it can get worse, I am leaving for SA in exactly two months, with all the planning done, I am already looking forward for the following hunt !

The condition is know by many names but all the symptoms match to a tee as described above. It is a sad debilitating condition which requires so many of us to lurk on these pages just to achieve minimal improvement of our outlook on life. The cure........
Go back to Africa! Be there in five days! YES SIR. I'm starting to feel better already...even if but for a short time!

We just got back and this sickness is hitting us hard.

My wife had decided that not only will we be going back on another safari in the next couple years, but now she wants to retire there and act as a hostess at lodge!

Listen to Bill Clinton in your head when he says, "I feel your pain".;):p:D:eek::rolleyes:

Though I've never been to Africa (yet), I'm exhibiting several of these symptoms. I think I've been infected by everyone on this site! Thanks a lot !

Long time disease for me, going on 10 years+, no cure in sight. I'll just keep hunting.

I caught the disease in 2012 and have been back 3 times since for treatment.

What do you guys think the shortest time sitting in a blind or truck that someone already starts planning next visit or animal? I made it 15 minutes when a large bull giraffe squatted down in front of me to drink giving me a 5 yard perfect shot at his vitals from underneath. I didn't shoot but I started telling myself next trip he's done. This is a terrible site if you suffer from this disease!

20150810_104745.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This website is just a "PRN" until the next hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShanonBurc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.