HELP NEEDED....possibilities for a european to become a PH in Africa.

Raseni

AH senior member
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
3; Danish Hawking club, danish hunting association, and nordic safari club
Hunted
Denmark, Scotland, Germany, Spain, Namibia, Finland
Ok, maybe an introduction of myself, would be appropriate to begin with.

My name is Rasmus Nielsen I am 29 years old and from Denmark, where I am finishing my masters thesis in biology, which I have studies for the past 6 years.
Besides being an eager hunter who just came back from hunting in Namibia, I work as a group leader for a danish travel agency, with my main focus on south america, but from next year, I will be taking over some tours to Africa. Mainly Vic falls on the Zim side, and the 14 day round trip in Botswana. I have been leading groups of tourist for the past 4 years throughout most of central and south america. I have also work in the Zoo world for about 6 years, both as an animal keeper with main focus on birds, but also bigger african herbivores. I have also been doing educational work for different zoo here in DK, and team building for different companies in the regi of the zoo. Currently I am working in education of animal keepers and veterinary nurses, on one of the two schools here in DK that is assigned to given these educations.

I speak fluently Danish, english, german, and quite good spanish. I understand Swedish and Norwegian as these languages are similar to Danish.

I am very interested in Africa, and maybe getting into the hunting on a professional basis, but I find it hard to find information about the possibilities in this, as a foreigner, so if anybody has any information, it would be greatly appreciated.

I know that many people want to become a PH, and that they think the job i laid back and with no worries, but I am used to this understanding from people wanting to become tourleaders in the travel industry, and also people wanting to become animal keepers, and this is not quite the case to many's disappointment.

So I know the work includes long hours, hard work and sometimes a high stress level, but that does not scare me, as this resembles my current jobs, and life.

If anyone could give me any information about my possibilities, I would be very grateful.

best regards
Rasmus Nielsen

Hi Rasmus and welcome to AH. I whish you luck in your quest to become a PH. I know in Zimbabwe you first must be a citizen to be able to become a ph.

ok, thank you very much, but unlikely I will give up my danish citizenship, so guess Zim is not an option for me. How come other PHï½´s from other african country can work as PH in Zim, when they are not citizens?

best regards
Rasmus

Hey, Rasmus, welcome to AH. Someone from Denmark and Sweden who has done what you want to do would be Natasha Illum Berg, PH in Tanzania (Home). She may be able to help you with practical advice, but I don't think she writes on this forum, so you will have to contact her directly. Best of luck with your quest, wish I had had that idea when I was your age.

Rasmus, just completed the PH course in SA (Limpopo)
Need a work permit or citizenship to work. Anyone can do the school. Spend the money and the time, lots of time reading and studying.

PHASA site has info on approved schools. Jerome's link will likely suggest some options.
Good luck.

Welcome Raseni! My wife's maiden name is Nielsen her family also came from Denmark many years ago. Good luck in your quest to be a PH in Africa.

thank you for all for the advice.

@Bob, yes we spread everywhere, hehe :)

cheers
Rasmus

Hi Rasmus

Only Zimbabwean citizens can become professional hunters in Zimbabwe, a foreign licensed PH, MAY NOT under any circumstances hunt for reward or act as a professional hunter or guide in ZImbabwe, they MAY NOT use for reward their personal foreign licensed vehicle, they MAY NOT carry a firearm unless they have paid a daily rate as an observer and they are included on the TR2 a Zimbabwean hunting document.

You may try a South AFrican PH school, or Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Mozambique.

Regards

Martin ZPHGA, chairman

ok, thank you for the reply.

cheers
Rasmus

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg