Help me choose forms/poses

Jasper99

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Animals arriving at my taxidermist soon and I need to figure out what forms/poses I want. The McKenzie catalog I'm looking at doesn't show a animal mounted on each form so it's hard to envision. Suggestions on galleries, websites, etc. to get ideas from? I'm referring to shoulder mounts on eland, Impala, wildebeest, water buck, and bush buck. Thanks!

Use Google for this. Easier and quicker. Many more than any taxidermy gallery. Any good taxidermist can alter a for to any pose composition or design you show him. Just print them out for him or email them to him or her. This way you show him what you want an and your not locked into some taxidermy cataloque stock generic poses. Your trophies are unique and your so make them as special as they are by making them one of a kind.

Nice Classic wall pedestal waterbuck Waterbuck
DSCN2519_zpsrse6z6db.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN2519_zpsrse6z6db.jpg
    DSCN2519_zpsrse6z6db.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 558
Impala / Bushbuck double pedestal

IMG_1111_zpsotpfqekv.jpg

IMG_1118_zpshpszknbs.jpg

CLASSIC ELAND

DSCN1517_zpskqbdofkz.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1118_zpshpszknbs.jpg
    IMG_1118_zpshpszknbs.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 183
  • DSCN1517_zpskqbdofkz.jpg
    DSCN1517_zpskqbdofkz.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_1111_zpsotpfqekv.jpg
    IMG_1111_zpsotpfqekv.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 282
Last edited by a moderator:
Blue Wildebeest ped with Black Wildebeest topper..

WILDEBEESTE_zpsqp25qd0a.jpg

Attachments

• WILDEBEESTE_zpsqp25qd0a.jpg
    WILDEBEESTE_zpsqp25qd0a.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 279
You can check out Van Dykes for forms, but I have to agree with what Dennis has said.....any taxidermist worth his salt should be able to alter/modifiy a form to fit what you want. I wanted my dog's first retrieve (drake mallard) mounted, but it had a large patch of feathers missing on the shoulder.....the taxidermist suggested a "preening" mount to help hide the defect, and it turned out very well.
As for forms, I think that the "side shoulder" mount (don't know what else to call 'em) makes a much nicer mount that just a straight on or slightly turned full shoulder mount...I also think (it may just be my imagination) that the more heavily turned 'side shoulder' mounts give you a little more wall space (at least that's how it appears with my pronghorn antelope).

here is my eland bull with a form that was altered a bunch. Pick the right shop and almost anything is possible if you give them some idea on what you want.

Tootabi_Eland.jpg

Nice Bill....

You can check out Van Dykes for forms, but I have to agree with what Dennis has said.....any taxidermist worth his salt should be able to alter/modifiy a form to fit what you want. I wanted my dog's first retrieve (drake mallard) mounted, but it had a large patch of feathers missing on the shoulder.....the taxidermist suggested a "preening" mount to help hide the defect, and it turned out very well.
As for forms, I think that the "side shoulder" mount (don't know what else to call 'em) makes a much nicer mount that just a straight on or slightly turned full shoulder mount...I also think (it may just be my imagination) that the more heavily turned 'side shoulder' mounts give you a little more wall space (at least that's how it appears with my pronghorn antelope).
Think they are called wall pedestals.

Nice Eland Bill

Jasper,

As somebody also in your shoes; however, with a bit longer wait for my trophies, I completed numerous google image searches with keywords such as 'kudu wall pedestal' or 'hartebeest shoulder.'

Additionally, I opened up my SCI Safari magazine and checked out the website galleries of all the huge advertising taxidermists. Honestly, I was disappointed with many of the african mounts. Hartebeest must have difficult hide/hair to work with because the ears and hair swirls on most of the quality taxidermists work was atrocious!

Soooo what I found most helpful was 'friending' Dennis Harris and Artistry of Wildlife on Facebook. He must have hundreds of images on there to review, and I personally discovered the perfect kudu wall pedestal for my liking. I also discovered the perfect pose for my eland as well; the classic shoulder mount he posted on this thread. But, the eland will have to wait for my 2018 return to Africa.

Thus far Dennis has been extremely helpful; supplying an excellent information packet and very prompt correspondence.
If you have Facebook, I would check out his albums. And, if you are particular like me about your memories, I would check into him as your taxidermist.

Dennis @The Artistry of Wildlife -

All of you stuff is awesome.... in your experience, what is your average/typical shipping & crating cost. I know that is highly variable. Just curious..... and "counting cost".

BWH , depends on if I'm bringing it down to you or shipping it. I do delivery around the country , either myself or jamie personally deliver. We combine loads to deliver multiple safari's or work on one trip.
You pay milage and expense from point a to b or c to d or e to f nor from the studio itself
This way everyone shares and it's cheaper NO CRATING COSTS ! Our truck pr trailer securely loaded and insured!
Crate we do that also, and we do ship via freight company, common or a trophy transportation company
LOTS if choices.....

Get a large enough safari don thru us and we have been known to deliver for FREE
Check out the website and you will see a 2015 downloadable price sheet on the top of the brochure page

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinagqe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber