Help identify this vintage bullet - 300 gr .375 H&H - no pictures

xotech

Reaction score
Member of
NRA
Hi everyone,

I saw a bunch of vintage ammunition for sale at a local FFL, and wondered if anyone here could identify the bullet for me.

The ammunition that I am interested in is some Remington Hi Speed in a green and white cardboard box of 20 cartridges.

The box says made in Bridgeport, CT.

The end flap says 375 H&H 300 Grain Metal Case Index 2375

Inside the flap is the lot # LY05C.

The old original price sticker says $12.50

I called Remington and they said that it was produced in 1957. They had no other information.

The ammunition looks new. The bullet has a smooth round nose and is copper coated.

I did NOT have a magnet to check the tip.

When I go back to visit again, I will take a cellphone picture, if it is still there.

The FFL has 5 boxes and is asking $40.00 a box. The boxes are in great condition.

I was just wondered if it is worth purchasing for practice ammunition, or if it really just too old to shoot and only worth the component value, which brings me back to what the bullet is.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

This ammunition is almost as old as I am!

Hi xotech, is it soft nose or a FMJ with copper? you need to mail the snap , shall try & decipher what cartridge is it.

Monish

I think this is a .375 H&H normal not a Magnum (9.5*57) , is there H&H Magnum mentioned any where on the box ?

Monish

You're right, magnum is not mentioned anywhere on the box.

Xotech , then am sure its a normal cartridge for .375 Hollands chambered rifle and not a belted magnum round, it was initially designed for and by mannlicher schouner for their famous 9mm rifle for big game and the round designation was 9.5*57, as this was a very popular caliber in India for Tiger & other big game hunts during the british rule . so dont try it out at all in any rifle not chambered for this configuration

Monish

Monish, thanks for your help.

Can't wait to measure them if they're still there when I get back. I'm sure the FFL will be quite interested to know what he has.

Definition for "375 H&H Magnum" : Bullet Diameter .375; Overall Loaded Length 3.60; Can be made from 300 H&H Magnum; Belted Bottleneck; Created by Holland & Holland, 1912; Also called 375 Holland's Belted and 375 Holland & Holland

Definition for "375 Rimless NE 2-1/4"" : Bullet Diameter .375; Overall Loaded Length 2.94; Rimless Bottleneck; Also called 9.5x57mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer, 9.5mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer and 9.5x56mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer

The above defintions came from this dictionary:

MidwayUSA - Definitions for Specific Cartridges - GunTec Dictionary of Shooting, Reloading, Gunsmithing, Hunting & Outdoor Terms

Xotech , yes that is corrrect denomination , what rifle do you have ? is it chambered for a .375 H&H magnum??

Monish

Yes, it's a Sauer 202 Standard Synthetic with rifle sights. I've got some Federal 300 gr Barnes TSX and some Federal 260 gr Nosler AccuBond that I am going to try in it when the weather gets a little better.

You have a very fine rifle , what animals have you taken with this caliber?

Monish

I just picked it up used a few days ago. No plans for an African hunt right now. I do want to sight it in and practice with it a few times though. It came with Leupold QR mounts.

I use my scoped .308 Light Weight Synthetic when I go to hunt whitetails in Pennsylvania. (Or a crossbow, a .50 caliber inline muzzleloader and a .45 caliber flintlock long rifle, depending on the season.)

I see you've hunted in Canada. What area? Did you have any luck?

YUP , HAVE TAKEN MOOSE & BLACK BEAR AT HALIBURTONS HIGHLANDS ONTARIO AND WILD BOARS NEAR TORONTO . I USE .375 MAG. AND 470 NE GENERALLY, NEVER TRIED A MUZZLELOADER.
I BELIEVE .338 MAG. IS A VERY POPULAR CALIBER THERE HAD NOTICED FELLOW HUNTERS USING THEM ON EVERY GAME, NEVER HAVE USED THIS CALIBER. WHAT MAKE IS YOUR .308? ITS A PROHIBITED CALIBER IN MY COUNTRY.
TRY TO VISIT AFRICA ONCE YOU WOULD NEVER WISH TO RETURN BACK TO YOUR COUNTRY, I PLAN TO RELOCATE MYSELF THERE MAY BE IN AYEAR OR TWO. ITS A PARADISE FOR HUNTERS

MONISH

Sounds like you've had some very nice hunts. I'd love to visit Africa one day.

The .308 is a Sauer 202 also. It's very light, (and 1/2 moa accurate), so if you hunt and hike all day, it's easy to carry.

yes xotech you should visit africa once ud fall in love with it ,

Monish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warpig602.0

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross